Tinuviel
Mrs Figg
Norc
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dain Ironfoot finally cast - Page 2 Empty Re: Dain Ironfoot finally cast

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Seems a mountain out of a mole hill- having said that in general I do prefer seeing unknowns as there is a lack of expectations. If I close my eyes and concentrate I can already hear how Stephen Fry will probbaly sound and deliver lines as the Mayor already just becasue I have seen him in so many roles for years. But if he puts in a good performance and miracle of miracles PJ gives him a decent script I wont notice its Fry while I am watching.
Out of LotR's I knew Ian Jolm from numerous TV and films (and as Frodo in the BBC radio plays), Ian Mckellan from numerous Shakespeare productions, Rhyss Jones from Indiana Jones and several other films, and Christopher Lee, being in my fav film of all time Wicker Man I of course knew- didn't make a difference to watching them though.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Dain hasn't been casted yet? Embarassed
I guess I didn't not bother to think of him.....

Bill Connolly as a dwarf? Mmmmhhh ..... can't imagine that. we'll see

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:53 pm

In addition to Pettys list. I knew Elijah's work before LOTR and both Billy and Dom had telly roles in the year or two previous, so I had seen both even if I was unaware of exactly who they were. Not forgetting my fav Yorkshire son Sean Bean, who was already in the movies pre LOTR. Yeah! odd article

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Ayup All...

I've said elsewhere that I don't like the Idea of Connolly as Dain. I think it IS, IMO, a miscast role, Like Cumbersnatch as Smaug by PJ. It feels to me like PJ would actually have done better recasting Bernard Hill (Theoden) as Dain for all the difference between their Looks and attitude. With Bernard Hill having the better Acting Skills, and IMO, actually being able to make us forget he WAS Theoden, rather than a new role for Connolly. I also happen to think Connolly is more suited now, after being one of the defining Comic Geniusses of the 70s along with Jasper Carrott, to be settled into his role of rogueish Michael Palin, now his Comic star has waned.
feanor 1999
feanor 1999
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:43 am

How can u say Cumberbatch is miscast? He is great! I think you will have a pleasent surpirse!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 am

Cumberbatch will be perfect as Smaug! I am finally excited about this movie because of him. I am also looking forward to seeing Freeman and Persbrand, but what is the Hobbit without a proper Smaug?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 am

Amarië wrote:Cumberbatch will be perfect as Smaug! I am finally excited about this movie because of him. I am also looking forward to seeing Freeman and Persbrand, but what is the Hobbit without a proper Smaug?

agree on ever point! All the actors you mentioned are just great casting, and Cumberbatch will be perfect as Smaug! Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:54 am

I would go as far as to say I think Cumberbatch should be perfect as Smaug- but he can give the performance of a lifetime and it won't amount to a hill of beans if PJ desecrates the story and the dialogue for the character like he did to so much of LotR's.
I wonder if TH will show more love for Tolkiens stlye and dialogue than LotR's did? Sadly I doubt it and I expect the script to feature the same crude basterdisation of the dialogue as before.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:14 am

I agree, the dialouge should be kept as it is.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:23 am

Yes, Petty, that is a more accurate description. He'll be as perfect as PJ allows. I thought it was implied. Wink

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 am

Implied is never good enough when there is an excuse to call out and name and shame PJ! Twisted Evil He brought it on himself you know. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I wonder if TH will show more love for Tolkiens stlye and dialogue than LotR's did? Sadly I doubt it and I expect the script to feature the same crude basterdisation of the dialogue as before.

Why would it? The only positive sign that we might see more faithfulness in that way (that occurs to me off the top of my head) is the inclusion of some of the songs in the trailer. But we don't know what the situation with that will be exactly and it's possible, some would say likely, the songs themselves will be changed too. Unlike some here I don't think that PJ and the Coven's dialogue is without any redeeming features, but it would certainly be nice to see more Tolkien dialogue that hasn't been chopped up and given to different characters and contexts. I'm just not expecting it though. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Its my optimistic side Eldo- I live in hope PJ will have learned from his mistakes and can look back on LotR's and say- 'If I'd left that as in the book it would have been a lot better.' And so not make the same mistakes twice.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Its my optimistic side Eldo

Who are you and what did you do with Petty?! Shocked

I live in hope PJ will have learned from his mistakes and can look back on LotR's and say- 'If I'd left that as in the book it would have been a lot better.' And so not make the same mistakes twice.

To be fair to PJ and the Coven, they did state a couple of times in the documentaries that over the course of writing the movies they generally found that sticking closer to Tolkien resulted in a better story. There are a number of cases where you can see a noticeable increase in faithfulness between the original conception of a scene and the finished version. On the other hand, there were also a lot of places where they acted like they had improved on Tolkien, so take that for what you will. I'd like to be as hopeful as you, but the LOTR films became more indulgent and over-the-top as they went on.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I have always been an optimistic Eldo- its reality that lets everyone down. Just because I expect and usually get the worst does not mean I dont hope for something better.
Reminds me of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy when the Guides publisher are taken to court for a rather lethal misprint and won the case by contesting that whilst the entry was incorrect it was more poetically beautiful, got the universes top artists to swear under oath that beauty was truth and truth beauty and so proved that it was life which was at fault for being neither truthful nor beautiful. The judge agreed and had it confiscated from every one in the room. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2