Mrs Figg
Ally
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Orwell
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK - Page 4 Empty Re: I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK

Post by David H Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:42 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Gosh I hope you enjoy the book David, I feel kinda responsible if you dont LOL.

No worries, Mrs Figg. It'll be worth it just get the flavor of it. If you like I'll let you know what I think when it gets here.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK - Page 4 Empty Re: I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK

Post by odo banks Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Obviously being from the 1890s I remember it first being published, but seriously.

So you might have known Mr MacDonald, Mrs Figg. Oh those Pre-Rafaelites Laughing ... not toally Respectable but certainly great fun, or so my grand uncle Groggo told me. Very Happy

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK - Page 4 Empty wizard of oz

Post by leelee Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:09 am

Ally wrote:Being a purist I'm still upset that they replaced the silver shoes with ruby slippers...doncha hate it when adaptations don't stick to the original source?

Yes! that is fabulous , perfect that she wore silver slippers. It has always upset me that she wore pale blue socks with ruby red slippers, well shoes. Such a fashion faux pas, and also she always looked thirty to me and not a girl. I loved so much the lion and tin man, was so traumatized by the witch that I felt afraid even in the day time when I thought of her. I was so disappointed by the wizard, I had no sympathy for him, I just felt i went on a dreadful long journey for nothing, but that is how I thought then. I have no idea why I did not read the book but I will try to get a copy somewhere, but where? I would llike to read it.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:12 am

I imagine most bookshops would have it, leelee. Very Happy As to the "ruby" slippers. Brilliant! Judy? Superb! But the Wizard was a bit hit and miss, I agree... Indeed, the second half of the movie was a bit weak. The first half more than made up for it though. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:28 pm

leelee wrote:
Ally wrote:Being a purist I'm still upset that they replaced the silver shoes with ruby slippers...doncha hate it when adaptations don't stick to the original source?

Yes! that is fabulous , perfect that she wore silver slippers. It has always upset me that she wore pale blue socks with ruby red slippers, well shoes. Such a fashion faux pas, and also she always looked thirty to me and not a girl. I loved so much the lion and tin man, was so traumatized by the witch that I felt afraid even in the day time when I thought of her. I was so disappointed by the wizard, I had no sympathy for him, I just felt i went on a dreadful long journey for nothing, but that is how I thought then. I have no idea why I did not read the book but I will try to get a copy somewhere, but where? I would llike to read it.

The thing about the ruby slippers that always bothered me as a kid was what they were made of. Carved from giant rubies? No Thousands of little rubies glued on? No It just didn't make sense. But silver made sense to me. Besides, silver is a symbol of purity, and red says something completely different.

In the book you'll see that Dorothy is a much younger girl than Judy Garland (though without the amazing voice), and all of Oz is a world that is just her size.

As for where to get it, most libraries should have a copy, or you can get it on Amazon Canada for one penny plus shipping delivered to your door.
http://www.amazon.ca/Wonderful-Wizard-Oz-Frank-Baum/dp/0486291162/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327421424&sr=8-2
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 pm

David H wrote:The thing about the ruby slippers that always bothered me as a kid was what they were made of. Carved from giant rubies? No Thousands of little rubies glued on? No It just didn't make sense. But silver made sense to me. Besides, silver is a symbol of purity, and red says something completely different.

In the book you'll see that Dorothy is a much younger girl than Judy Garland (though without the amazing voice), and all of Oz is a world that is just her size.

As for where to get it, most libraries should have a copy, or you can get it on Amazon Canada for one penny plus shipping delivered to your door.
http://www.amazon.ca/Wonderful-Wizard-Oz-Frank-Baum/dp/0486291162/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327421424&sr=8-2

Were the silver slippers made of silver? Shocked Maybe they were "magic" slippers, David. Very Happy The ruby slippers were, as far as I can tell. I know, you thought the WoO was a documentary! Very Happy Frankly, the ruby slippers stand out because they're not her shoes and she is wearing them with socks she wore with her originals. Very realistic. What a silly quibble to have, my good folk have. (What do they teach people in schools nowadays? Rolling Eyes)

As to Dorothy's age in the movie, I was touched by her being a girl transitioning into a young woman, surrounded by three male friends who admired her for who she was, for her qualities as a person, and not as a sexual object. That kind of thing is difficult to achieve, can easily lead one to squirm in the cinema - pathos does not generally appeal to me. WoO succeeds on all levels. I rest my case.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 pm

I really wanted a pair of Ruby slippers when I was a kid, its a girl thing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Dunno about that- I'm pretty sure Orwell has a pair. Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Oh! - so we're now a Forumshire where people can wantonly bait each other, are we Petty? Mad

And Mrs Figg, I'm sure ruby slippers would look great on you. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Only when its funny Orwell (and possibly true).

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Look here! Some boys in Ozhobbitstan have ruby slippers, that's true, but they've got be pretty rough and tough to wear them --- except on Footy Trips, of course, where brawny men dressing up as ladies is accepted --- indeed, probably expected from what I can tell. Rolling Eyes

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 pm

hhmmm Methinks thou dosteth protesteth a bit mucheth mate. I can see your suspendies from here and they are pink. Embarassed
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Can you? Embarassed

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:09 am

Orwell wrote:I imagine most bookshops would have it, leelee. Very Happy As to the "ruby" slippers. Brilliant! Judy? Superb! But the Wizard was a bit hit and miss, I agree... Indeed, the second half of the movie was a bit weak. The first half more than made up for it though. Very Happy
I know my book shops inside out dear Orwell and never ever have I seen the Wizard of Oz, never. Here they tend to stick with current money makers, that sounds rather mercenary really.
And, Orwell, for all your bluster and giving me a hard time, the fact that this show means something to you tells me a great deal about you. And I feel like crying. Sad
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 am

Strewth! Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 am

As perceptive as always, Leelee. Smile I think you're right that there's more to Orwell than he'd like us to think. He's like candy, hard and nutty (quite nutty, sometimes) on the outside, but soft and squishy inside. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Strewth! Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 am

Eldorion wrote:As perceptive as always, Leelee. Smile I think you're right that there's more to Orwell than he'd like us to think. He's like candy, hard and nutty (quite nutty, sometimes) on the outside, but soft and squishy inside. Laughing

We know, Eldo. Smile Not sure about the candy reference though. It's one thing agree that he might be likeable, but lickable... Suspect

(( Laughing ))

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 am

Amarië wrote:It's one thing agree that he might be likeable, but lickable... Suspect

I'm sure he'd like to think that women see him that way. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:39 am

Eldorion wrote:
Amarië wrote:It's one thing agree that he might be likeable, but lickable... Suspect

I'm sure he'd like to think that women see him that way. Laughing

No doubt. Laughing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Stone the crows! Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:28 am

Still shocking Amarie - even after all this time - and me now all growed up and understanding growed up things better... ...

{{{Still a great movie though, no matter what the bucolic view might be... ...  three cheers then ... cheers cheers cheers }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4