Mrs Figg
Ally
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Orwell
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK - Page 2 Empty Re: I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK

Post by Wisey Banks Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:02 pm

"The Rule of Kaf calls for close inspection,
What we need's a brand new Election!"

Wisey Banks - channelled suddenly over breakfast.

Chief Forumshire Channeller

Back to top Go down

I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK - Page 2 Empty Re: I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK

Post by odo banks Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Odo I beleive the time has come to ask if I can join your top secret nobody knows about Council to deal with this sort of thing once and for all.

Shocked

I surely don't know what you mean, Mr Tyrant...

{[{[We'll meet in my kitchen in an hour --- I'll alert the others.... See me soon at "The Council of Odo #2)... and please not the New Encryption Spell brackets ( Rolling Eyes )... It's unbreakable, at least that's what Dumbledore told me, and Merlin backed him up - though I'm worried because it was "The Sword in the Stone" Merlin, not the Marion Zimmer Bradley one... Suspect }]}]

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:38 pm

talking of insulting people that Orwell called me repugnant, you can go off people you know! He wont be getting my vote for charmer of the year thats for shore.

Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 pm

I wasn't aware the Council had decided on encryption powers yet. Maybe Skwaych (trying to pronounce it right Razz) is a hacker? Shocked
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:35 pm

I expect the worst...

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:24 am

I JUST GOT SNEEZED ALL OVER!!!!!! WAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Crying or Very sad

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:24 am

Then go to bed!!!!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 am

Curiouser and curiouser...

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:43 am

Hopefully our Mayor can keep order in her own household, much less all the wilds of Forumshire. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:48 am

If she wasn't up for the job, why did she run for Mayor in the first place? {[{[and why-oh-why did I vote for her? Sad }]}]

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgeorge Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:03 am

Really nice movie i liked its story alot and I will watch Shame movie online rather than theaters so i always prefer SPAM LINK DELETED BY ELDO

mrgeorge
Spambot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archet Bugle Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 am

oh....kayyyy... Shocked
The Archet Bugle
The Archet Bugle
Forumshire's Most Respectable Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:28 pm

W.T.F Embarassed
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm

I LOVE WIZARD OF OZ - SHAME ABOUT THE BOOK - Page 2 11989207

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm afraid it's just a spambot that scans forums and then spews out random garbage based on buzzwords. Everybody say goodbye to our new friend before he is sent to the place all spambots go in the sky. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Orwell wrote:I really love the Wizard of Oz (movie). Doesn't everyone? But you're not going to believe it, Forumshirers, some guy from Bree - who I shan't name to save his dignity - says he hates it. Shocked

As best as I can tell, he has heaps of reasons why the Books are Great and the movie is s*^t, he even said he "ranted" about it --- but he's too polite to post the rant here! What! Does he think we're shrinking violets or something!? Mad Too scared to face a fierce rebuttal - that's the real reason! Nod

(These Bree-Landers are nice enough, can't be denied, but they don't have much ticker in my opinion Rolling Eyes - exceptin' that orrid Mrs Figg, of course! Shocked )
I just bumped into this thread.

As I recall my rant made comparisons to Little Mermaid and Willy Wonka. If you like singing munchkins, shellfish and Oompa Loompas then by all means, enjoy your movies. But L. Frank Baum, Hans Christian Andersen, and Roald Dahl are much darker and more interesting to me.

In the book, Dorothy is a little girl, but fearless. If you get in her way she'll kick your ass (meaning the farm animal of course. I'm far too polite to make anatomical references). Whereas Judy Garland's Dorothy is a trembling helpless little girlie-girl who looks to the big strong men for protection and help. Not unlike the Tolkien's bold Frodo vs. Elijah Woods' trembling, wide-eyed Frodo. No

Oh, and there's the fact that they cut out half of it, changed and merged all the characters, changed most of the plot devices, changed the silver shoes to ruby slippers just because they thought they'd look cool in Technicolor......and then added saccharine and music to replace what they'd cut out.

Other than that, it's pretty good, I guess....

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:50 pm

The Wizard of Oz makes me laugh, cry, scared, and makes me sigh with contentment everytime Dorothy opens the door onto Oz, it was the first fantasy film I ever saw, and it changed me forever. I will always be the girl that is looking for wonderland, maybe one day I will find it.

albino
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:22 pm

I first saw WoO when I was 3, and I'm told I hid behind the couch when the winged monkeys showed up. I do have some fondness for it.

But the subject came up because a certain OzHobbit, who shall remain nameless to return the courtesy, was holding holding up WoO as a shining example of how TH could be made as a successful, child-friendly movie that could be more true to the spirit of the book. On a scale of 1 to 10 for accuracy of adaptation to film, I'd give LotR a 5.5 and WoO a 3.5. Both are very popular films, but it seemed to me that if the goal was purism, this popular person was looking in exactly the wrong direction.

Can anybody think of a good children's movie adapted from a novel that's both popular and faithful to be book? And maybe financially successful at the same time?
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:33 pm

David H wrote:Can anybody think of a good children's movie adapted from a novel that's both popular and faithful to be book? And maybe financially successful at the same time?

Depending on your opinion of the first two Harry Potter movies they might fit the bill. When it came out, Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone was the second-highest grossing movie in history (not accounting for inflation) and it follows the original story quite faithfully. Whether or not it's good is another question. For what it's worth, I liked it a lot more when I was younger. On the other hand, the movie was moderately well-received by critics (64 on Metacritic, 75 on Rotten Tomatoes top critics) and there are still a lot of HP fans who remember it fondly.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Eldorion wrote:Depending on your opinion of the first two Harry Potter movies they might fit the bill.

I think that's a good example. It's hard to fault the faithfulness of the adaptation when the author is involved in most aspects including final script approval.

Another one I could put on the list at this level, though much smaller, is Princess Bride. William Goldman wrote both the book and the screenplay, so although there are a lot of changes between the two and the tone is decidedly different, I've got to cut the original author a little more slack when it comes to adaptation.

[Ed. the original PB book is far from being a children's book, however Wink ]
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:The Wizard of Oz makes me laugh, cry, scared, and makes me sigh with contentment everytime Dorothy opens the door onto Oz, it was the first fantasy film I ever saw, and it changed me forever. I will always be the girl that is looking for wonderland, maybe one day I will find it.

albino

And Mrs Figg, just imagine the impact of that scene as the door opens from B&W onto a Technicolor world when only a few audiences had ever seen a full color movie sunny (Robin Hood was just the year before, and Snow White the year before that so it was really about as gimmicky at the time as 3D is now.)

Good luck in your quest for Wonderland/Oz. Ya never know what's on the other end of a rabbit hole.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:29 pm

An excellent adaptation of a childrens book was, The Secret Garden, 1993, based on the book by Hodgson Burnett, it had very good reviews at the time. It was pretty much perfect.
Another good adaptation of the Joan Aiken book was the 1989 film, The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.
and one of my all time favourites is the 1971 film, The Amazing Mr Blunden, absolutely haunting and lovely.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm with Mrs Figg. Great Movie. I just assume is it is far better than the book, David - assume! Mad - not having read it. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:An excellent adaptation of a childrens book was, The Secret Garden, 1993, based on the book by Hodgson Burnett, it had very good reviews at the time. It was pretty much perfect.
Another good adaptation of the Joan Aiken book was the 1989 film, The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.
and one of my all time favourites is the 1971 film, The Amazing Mr Blunden, absolutely haunting and lovely.

Liked Secret Garden and loved Wolves, but have seen neither adaptation. Must keep a look out.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:17 pm

On further reflection:

David said: " ...But the subject came up because a certain OzHobbit, who shall remain nameless to return the courtesy, was holding holding up WoO as a shining example of how TH could be made as a successful, child-friendly movie that could be more true to the spirit of the book. ."

Did I really???? Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next