Mrs Figg
Orwell
Eldorion
Lorient Avandi
Pettytyrant101
24 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Religous debates and questions - Page 4 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions

Post by chris63 Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 am

The "shire" of religious freedom under siege
http://www.bpnews.net/BPFirstPerson.asp?ID=37187
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Religous debates and questions - Page 4 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:58 am

Color me convinced. If there's one thing that the Hobbits represented as the ultimate underdogs, it's definitely a religion whose adherents make up more than three quarters of the U.S. population. That's the same religion which is routinely affirmed in public by politicians even though this is of questionable legality. Let's look at the serious issues though. Is your local government (which is almost certainly made up of Christians) not going to let you build a church exactly where you want it? That's the will of Sauron at work, that is. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 am

Banghead Glad they focus on what is important...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 am

Somebody help me out - going back to Eldo's chart, what's with the mormon magic underwear?

Magic translating sticks; check.
Magic carpets to transport lost tribes all over tarnation; check.
Magic underwear?
halfwise
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:24 am

According to Wikipedia, "magic underwear" is more properly known as Temple garments and they "are viewed as a symbolic reminder of the covenants made in temple ceremonies, and are viewed as either a symbolic or literal source of protection from the evils of the world".
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh. You mean a chastity belt.
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 am

Never sounded hygienic to me.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 pm

I suppose in a way this may seem a deliberetly provocktive post (or possibly assualt) on the religously minded but I just reread the Creation account in Genesis. And its a complete farce. Its a pantomine story. Its almost like Monty Python worte it.
It has a God, who created the entire universe, all life, then humanity, but can't find two people in His own garden except by wandering about shouting their names. He also can't go for a walk in the afternoon as its a bit hot for our all powerful God, he walks in the cool of the evening, maybe He was already getting on a bit.
He then makes Man from dust, but instead of making woman the same way He bizarrely, and quite disurbingly rips out one of Adams ribs and says, 'this'll do'. He then puts them in the garden with a tree of forbidden dire consequences fruit and a TALKING evil snake, that He knows is evil cause He made it. Its either a stich up or a comedy, I can't decide.

Now I can rationaly get round all this because I can bring to the table the earlier Summerian creation story on which the biblical one is clearly based, and so get a fuller picture- but its incompatible with a one God belief.
So to all the religous people how do you deal with this? The story itself is clearly nonsensical in the form the Bible presents it, and compared to evolution pretty unlikely as a starting point for life on this planet.
And if you rationalise it, say its just a creation story not a literal truth etc is that not the same position as somone like me, a non religous person takes, in which case whats the difference?
There's a reason the Catholic church over the centuries have been unwilling to admit bits of the Bible might not be wholly accurate, like being at the centre of the universe rather than in the unfashionable western spiral arm, and its because they know if people are allowed to not believe one bit, they might start picking and choosing which bits to follow or none and the control a church has over its congregation can be lost.
So can you believe in the biblical God if you discount parts of it? If its the word of God does that not mean all of it?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:47 pm

I think people have always picked and chose bits to suit them, like Divorce and condoms and stuff like that, those things are supposedly against the Churches teachings but people do them anyway.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:00 am

Yes but people who do that- are they not essentially, by picking and choosing, admitting they do not really see the Bible as the word of God? After all if you trully believed it was the word of God you would hardly pick and choose. And if the Bible is not the word of God, then it must by default be the work of people, and not Holy any more than other writing is.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:10 am

I think people pick and choose and then ask for forgiveness for sinning, and as God is supposed to forgive you if you are sincere its a get out of jail card.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 am

Handy. Nod (If a tad contrived Suspect )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:22 am

After 2000 years they have got it sussed. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:26 am

Yes but how do believers not suss it? That's the bit that confounds me- theres billions of them out there somewhere, apparently, despite the fact I hardly ever meet any ( Suspect ) Its a pretty obvious set up the Church.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:32 am

Its like we all need something to believe in when times get tough, so we overlook the glaringly obvious, its like believing in Father Christmas, we want to belive in him, so he exists.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:57 am

That's a wonderfully original reading of Genesis, Petty.

I think it's easier to believe in biblical truth because it's so disjointed you can't logically hold it all in one's head. If it was logical it could be compressed down enough for one to step back, survey the whole, and say "now wait a minute...". But people who think it's important expend so much effort trying to stuff the whole mess in their brain that they rarely get a chance to think critically about it. At least, that's my explanation.

Okay, back into the salt mines....I'll re-emerge every few days. Sigh.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:03 am

I don't know if it's germane to this conversation or not, but I heard a talk show on Religion once and this Christian Pastor (or Priest, or Teacher?) got real uppity about the issue of discussing "Agnostcism" in schools. He seemed not to mind kids discussing "Atheism" though.

Was it because he preferred black and white (good and evil?) to wide-open questioning? Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 am

halfwise wrote:Okay, back into the salt mines....I'll re-emerge every few days. Sigh.

Gainful employment as opposed to idle speculating, Halfwise?

Mmm? Suspect

I vote for the salt mines -- and not too many re-emergings! Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:10 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I suppose in a way this may seem a deliberetly provocktive post (or possibly assualt) on the religously minded but I just reread the Creation account in Genesis. And its a complete farce. Its a pantomine story. Its almost like Monty Python worte it.
It has a God, who created the entire universe, all life, then humanity, but can't find two people in His own garden except by wandering about shouting their names. He also can't go for a walk in the afternoon as its a bit hot for our all powerful God, he walks in the cool of the evening, maybe He was already getting on a bit.
He then makes Man from dust, but instead of making woman the same way He bizarrely, and quite disurbingly rips out one of Adams ribs and says, 'this'll do'. He then puts them in the garden with a tree of forbidden dire consequences fruit and a TALKING evil snake, that He knows is evil cause He made it. Its either a stich up or a comedy, I can't decide.

Now I can rationaly get round all this because I can bring to the table the earlier Summerian creation story on which the biblical one is clearly based, and so get a fuller picture- but its incompatible with a one God belief.
So to all the religous people how do you deal with this? The story itself is clearly nonsensical in the form the Bible presents it, and compared to evolution pretty unlikely as a starting point for life on this planet.
And if you rationalise it, say its just a creation story not a literal truth etc is that not the same position as somone like me, a non religous person takes, in which case whats the difference?
There's a reason the Catholic church over the centuries have been unwilling to admit bits of the Bible might not be wholly accurate, like being at the centre of the universe rather than in the unfashionable western spiral arm, and its because they know if people are allowed to not believe one bit, they might start picking and choosing which bits to follow or none and the control a church has over its congregation can be lost.
So can you believe in the biblical God if you discount parts of it? If its the word of God does that not mean all of it?

Now, now, Petty. Let's not be hasty. Surely God knows exactly what he's about. Remember you (and I) are the clay, and he is the potter, and if sometimes he seems to be a manic irrational incompetent potter, who are we to judge HIM? Bless Eru, I say. Nod

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:12 pm

That's a wonderfully original reading of Genesis, Petty.- Halfwise

I will admit its tone was somewhat flavoured by Ricky Gervais take on it from his Animals tour. Oddly this bit of that show has been removed from everywhere on youtube and dailymotion- the rest of the act is there but not the Bible bit. However I tracked it down, highly recommended, very funny as well as thought provoking.

http://www.snotr.com/video/4351/Ricky_Gervais_-_The_Bible

His piece on Noah's Ark however survives the Youtube censorship tyrnanny.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:34 am

Religous debates and questions - Page 4 FinalsupperVII
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That's a wonderfully original reading of Genesis, Petty.- Halfwise

I will admit its tone was somewhat flavoured by Ricky Gervais take on it from his Animals tour. Oddly this bit of that show has been removed from everywhere on youtube and dailymotion- the rest of the act is there but not the Bible bit. However I tracked it down, highly recommended, very funny as well as thought provoking.

http://www.snotr.com/video/4351/Ricky_Gervais_-_The_Bible

His piece on Noah's Ark however survives the Youtube censorship tyrnanny.

Very funny and o so true Razz
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 am

Paul wasn't at the Last Supper! What blasphemy! Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:20 am

I admit I don't find Ricky funny. At least not so far, haven't seen so much of him. Here he just regurgitates jokes and thoughts which are nearly about as old as the Bible itself. Sleep

Chris' "Jesus,lol", now that was far more creative and original!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Did you watch both Amarie?- I prefer the Genesis bit to the Noah Ark one- but couldn't originally find his bit on Genesis as its been pulled from everywhere, suspicously. But I find it the funnier of the two- particularly the idea God made everything in the dark. Razz

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next