odo banks
Eldorion
Lorient Avandi
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Drinking - Page 3 Empty Re: Drinking

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 pm

If your major image of drinking had been bunches of thick-headed frat boys all fired up on Coors of all things, you'd take a dim view of the proceedings as well.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:49 pm

do Mon Cherie chocolates count?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:50 pm

halfwise wrote:Hey! How'd I miss ever seeing this thread before?

Smokers will tell you that beyond the nicotine hit, their craft gives them something to do with their hands, and an endlessly fascinating curl of smoke to watch - it's an experience.

Drinkers not only have a glass to hold and ice to clink, but they have the complex taste and scent of their drink to savor (unless you buy what used to be called American domestic beer: Coors, Budweiser and their ilk. Mad )

But without the spike of nicotine or the caress of alcohol, there would be few enough drinkers or smokers. Alcohol does two things: it releases inhibitions, and it relaxes the mind and body. I used to not understand the attraction, and in fact never drank regularly until my 30's. Two things came together to precipitate this change: first, micro-brewers took off and I had somebody who could introduce me to the new tastes; and I began to teach high school.

Alcohol provided instant tranquility and sensual complexity after the emotional roller coaster of a week of kids. I then learned to drink with friends where alcohol stripped away the last barriers so we could truly feel like ourselves as a cohesive group (admittedly to neighbors this would mainly sound like loud, wandering conversation).

So alcohol can add something to life if used with some restraint. But it's an experience that's best when crafted, rather than chased.

[...]

If your major image of drinking had been bunches of thick-headed frat boys all fired up on Coors of all things, you'd take a dim view of the proceedings as well.
Wow - well put! I'm young enough to have some living left to do before I reach that point, and old enough to understand that you must be a very intelligent man. To some extent I can understand what you are talking about, though. The most enjoyable experiences I've had with alcohol has definitely been those when moderation and good chatting company have been involved Smile

Drinking - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 pm

If your major image of drinking had been bunches of thick-headed frat boys all fired up on Coors of all things, you'd take a dim view of the proceedings as well.- Halfwise

Ah- no my first memories of drinking were village new years parties that went house to house for roughly the first week or so in January in one long partying bevvy session.
I remember a lot if singing, dancing and the adults seeming to be a lot more fun than they seemed to be the rest of the year.
Somewhere I have a picture of my older brother and I in our pyjamas at New Year with a pint glass each, my first pint- I'm about six in it. (Obviously Im excluding the odd drop of xmas wine, and younger, whisky on the dummy (Pacifer is you UShobbits call them?) from that- it was my first proper pint to call my own drunken )

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 pm

my first memory of booze is Christmas parties my gran used to hold, the gents smoked cigars and the ladies drank sherry, there was the smell of pine needles, log fire and tangerines in the air, and the feel of tinsel through my fingers and the taste of spicy mince pies (lots) in my mouth. and the sound of Ambrose and his Orchestra in the background.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:05 pm

As in so many things, Americans since the uptight 1950's could take any good idea and royally screw it up.  The country was full of sin and vice until the early part of the 20th century, then it all got cleaned up and became a furtive business, no proper integration into society.  Same could be said for sex. (cooking was never any good to begin with, good food in the US came out of nowhere starting in the 70's, but it has had a long hard slog).  Music is one of the few things to have survived the cultural purges.  And Bourbon.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm not very old, but I at least know when to stop drinking (at least I've learned quickly). I have several friends who drink nonstop and one of them will be expelled if caught drinking one more time! I've learned a lot in two months, sadly they haven't at all. They pour down the hard liquor, I stick to two or three beers. Matter of fact, I just played a LOTR drinking game with my sister and her friend this weekend! We almost stayed in and just drank and watched the films all night!

It's nice to get a bit buzzed and feel more social and open with people. I won't lie sometimes I've been quite social at parties, but never a belligerent drunk who blacks out and looses their memory. I don't understand why people let themselves get to that point.

Drinking - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 pm

I am one of the worst party-goers I know, and I have never drank in my life.
Everyone else in my family does, however, so drinking functions mostly as the barrier that keeps us from understanding eachother (with most of my family, anyway).

Edit: It's how you're introduced to drinking, and how and where you use it that seems to be the deciding factor upon whether or not it's beneficial in your life. That's what I get from this thread. Either that or else Petty just has perma-beer-goggles. Saucy Wink 

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm

The only way I can get through family get-togethers is to drink. Takes the edge off.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Tinuviel wrote:... but never a belligerent drunk who blacks out and looses their memory. I don't understand why people let themselves get to that point.
Mostly because they don't realize it. The memories are of being happy and witty, or perhaps at most a little loud.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:59 pm

If drinking slow you normally don't get to that point. But in a loud bar surrounded by loud people you lose track of how fast you drink, and the more you drink the easier it is to drink more.

I've never been to the point of passing out or forgetting any details, but I do know at some point it just really becomes easy to keep going. You need enough rationality to realize the danger and pull back. Often this is only learned after bad experiences.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:12 am

On several occasions I've gotten to the point where the whole world spins. It's unpleasant, and produces some pretty undesirable side effects. I wouldn't recommend it.

Embarassed 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 am

halfwise wrote:
I've never been to the point of passing out or forgetting any details...
....that you remember. pub 

I've wandered near this line in the past, and the scary thing is that you really don't remember that you don't remember. I've noticed that my brain is very good at lacing all the bits together in a way that makes it all seem appropriate. It's good to have friends to help you figure out where the lines are.

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:11 am

But if you dont black out you might remember the things you've done and said! affraid 

The aim of driking for a Scot is to get in as bad a state as is humanly possible without being dead.
A situation known by various names and phrases- "right oot o' it" "totally bloootered" "Aff ma heid", "mental wi' the drink" ect

If the next day you can say to your friends "I have no idea what happened last night, I was absolutely wrecked," that is a good thing, to be boasted about among your peers.
You will also be judged on the severity of your hangover, if you appear to be so ill you are almost ready to be buried than this will be considered all round the result of a 'good night out'. Nod pub 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3