Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

+50
Cowley 121
Hillbilly
Anne
Bluebottle
Yavanna
malickfan
Forest Shepherd
Laivine
bungobaggins
Radaghast
RA
jon
Jac Jackson
TheUberNerdyKid
widfara
leelee
Barnamir
irca
Karakehribar
CC12 35
azriel
the truth
Foolofatook
MeikoElektra
David H
chris63
yooper
Monicawang
Kendalf
Lancebloke
Kafria
Turembar
halfwise
odo banks
feanor 1999
Semiramis
Norc
Mrs Figg
Aiglos
Lester Cat
Taniwha
Orwell
Tinuviel
Ally
Amariƫ
Squach
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
PiP
Eldorion
54 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 13 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by MeikoElektra Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 am

Icelandic and Fjord ponies are wonderful!! If I have kids I'll get either, such fun little things and yet very sensible and not mean like so many Shetlands I know... Welshies are nice but you can't beat the hardiness of Scandinavian ponies!
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 13 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by Norc Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:58 pm

fjord ponies and icelandic ponies? those are horses! they're just smaller, but they are horses Wink the fjord horse has quite big hooves, but yeah, they are probably suited for children.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Meiko I love that you are obsessed by Arthurian legends, me too, I watch anything to do with the subject and love all the new weird and wonderful documentaries that sometimes pop up. I watched one recently about Glastonbury Tor and the way they thought it was the actual site of Avalon being the Apple Island and being originally surrounded by water, really cool stuff, I am crazy about paintings by Pre Raphaelite painters depicting Arthurian legends too. I love Excalibur the film as well, Merlin in particular gives me the chills. I read books about the legends and I am re reading the Weirdstone of Brisingamen at the moment, which features Arthurs sleeping knights and an actual legend of the Alderley Edge area in Cheshire, I enjoy finding local legends about Arthur and how they are made into stories and tales. I am currently reading up about San Galgano and the Sword in the Stone in Italy, an actual sword in a stone as it happens, its very mysterious how it got there, an Italian saint who renounced war after a chat with an Angel, to symbolize penitence he thrust the sword into the rock, and its still there today. sorry I tend to ramble on a bit about Arthur. Embarassed

really irritating commentary but you get the idea.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm one of those people who runs on the 14.2hh rule (anything under sits in pony class) but yes, they are technically horses! Ponies are evil things that trick little girls into falling in love with them and send their poor parents broke :-P

edit:
Mrs Figg, I love love love Pre-Raphaelite art! And anything Arthurian. I know Tennyson's Lady of Shalott off by heart. I also have Tolkien's annotated versions of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and Gawain and Iwain. Pick up a lot of stuff in second hand bookshops.
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:59 pm

The Weirdstine of Brisingamen is a favorite of mine! Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I have visited all the places in the book, they all really exist, Cheshire is not far from where I am from, the stone well with a wizards face carved on it is really there. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:00 pm

MeikoElektra wrote:
David, he's a clever, lazy thing. Big dark bay Thoroughbred crossed with something heavier. His name is Brock (means badger in O.E. and he has white markings so I like that fact) and he tries to eat small children and dogs. Would probably eat hobbits too, if they weren't so shy and hidden away these days... Reminds me rather of tales of the Each Uisge and kelpies. Do you keep or ride horses?

I've got a dark bay quarterhorse who's almost the exact opposite of yours in personality. He's not a deep thinker, but he loves to run! I got him as a rescue. He had been a stallion in a field full of mares for the first 5 years of his life, unhandled, so he thought he was King of the World. He wouldn't even take a halter or lead. Very willful, but no meanness.

I eventually gentled him enough to ride, but I'm the only person he willingly allows on his back. I usually ride him Shadowfax style without bit or saddle, (though usually a halter, just as a backup plan).
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Welcome to Forumshire, Meiko! I noticed in your first post in the Weta thread that you've lurked here for a while, and I'm very glad that you decided to start posting. Very Happy I lurk at plenty of forums and am sometimes nervous about posting for the first time, but I hope we're all friendly enough. Out of curiosity, do you remember the old forum, or did you discover us after we moved to our present URL/location last February?

I've never owned a horse and I don't have much riding experience, but I've really enjoyed the few times that I've been able to go. I think I got lucky with riding older, well-trained horses though. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Bad at one end, mad at the other and uncomfortable in the middle. - thats how my grandad used to describe horses. Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 pm

On a horse that's listening to you and trusts you, I've never experienced anything else that feels so exactly like telepathy. It's absolutely amazing!

{{and I'd love to hear what the horses had to say about your grandad Smile }}
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Eldorion, I did lurk around the old forum too. And I think I've seen one or two of you on the Other Forums. I learned on good old ex racehorses, love a thoroughbred. My horse is by far the most difficult thing I've handled (stallions, young racehorses and overfed show horses all a doddle compared) but he's taught me so much.

David, I know what you mean!! Think left, they go left, think halt and they halt, stop thinking and they look at you like 'wake up, sleepyhead!'

I'm off to ride my horse now. He fits Petty's grandad's description very well so here's to surviving the morning!
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Um hey, I figured I'd just say hey to you here- hey. So...yo.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello, Ally!

All, I've partially fulfilled my oath to post the music stuff to creative corner. I hope it is approved as being pure enough for Petty Razz
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:58 pm

I'll be the judge of that! Twisted Evil (If I can get it to play that is...)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Not one word changed, Petty, not one line switched around Razz But of course if the style doesn't fit in your ME I'm doooooomed.

Edit: And on that note I've decided you're Morgoth in disguise - pronouncing dooms on us (like poor Hurin) then proceeding to make them come about. Evil, Petty, just evil Mad
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Morgoth was a little crabbit on occasion that is true- but he was a fool. He could have had infinte buckie brought to him by endless slaves. But no, what does he want? Jewellery! A shiny hat! Evil or Very Mad Amateur that boy. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Hmm, perhaps if Morgoth had been more keen on buckie he would have only become a petty tyrant and nearly everyone would have been happier...
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolofatook Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Its great to find a site with informed and sensible discussion about JRRTs work. Im a lifelong Tolkein fan since reading the Hobbit at a very young age (a very long time ago). I would call myself a purist although I hate that term or at least hate the way that Jackson and his team use it to deride us true fans who are passionate about all things Tolkein. Looking forward to some good debates
Foolofatook
Foolofatook

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Hello, fool ^^ then you will like our dear Petty Very Happy I'm not a purist, nice to meet you, but I do respect everyone's opinion (at least I hope everyone feels that way)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Greetings Foolofatook (great name).
I hope you like the place and choose to stay. You'll find we do have all sides of the fence here regards PJ (and some sitting on it!) which makes for good and honest debate. And when news to discuss is in short supply you'll find life the universe and everything here somewhere.
I think regards the films and PJ you and I may find we have much in common from your words.
So delve in make yourself at home and draw yourself a drink. Welcome to Forumshire. cheers

Norc you are absolutely too delightful not to respect- even with your love of PJ. Mad (And you like Who and Sherlock which forgives many sins)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Norc you are absolutely too delightful not to respect- even with your love of PJ. Mad (And you like Who and Sherlock which forgives many sins)

oh, you sweet little thing Kissing
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Embarassed I must be to sober thats it! Don't worry I'll get my crabbit back- I'll just nip off and watch 30 seconds of PJ's TT. Extremely Crabbit That always does it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 pm

I didn't read TT... I read tits Shocked had the wrong image there for a second..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Well in fairness when PJ was making LOtR's he did have quite a big pair. And yes, being forced to stare at them for 30 seconds would make me crabbit. Very crabbit indeed. Mad (Or give me a craving for dumplings)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, Foolofatook!

Foolofatook wrote:I would call myself a purist although I hate that term or at least hate the way that Jackson and his team use it to deride us true fans who are passionate about all things Tolkein.

I've been trying to reclaim the word "purist" for years! Razz Although there are plenty of true fans who also like PJ, of course.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next