Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

+50
Cowley 121
Hillbilly
Anne
Bluebottle
Yavanna
malickfan
Forest Shepherd
Laivine
bungobaggins
Radaghast
RA
jon
Jac Jackson
TheUberNerdyKid
widfara
leelee
Barnamir
irca
Karakehribar
CC12 35
azriel
the truth
Foolofatook
MeikoElektra
David H
chris63
yooper
Monicawang
Kendalf
Lancebloke
Kafria
Turembar
halfwise
odo banks
feanor 1999
Semiramis
Norc
Mrs Figg
Aiglos
Lester Cat
Taniwha
Orwell
Tinuviel
Ally
Amarië
Squach
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
PiP
Eldorion
54 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by Lester Cat Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Just a quick "thank you" to Eldo for sorting me out, now what's happened to everyone...................

Lester Cat

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:52 pm

You're very welcome, Lester! Very Happy Most of the people who were active at and around the date when the old forum ended have found their way here, along with a number of new people. We're still missing Noom, Nagual, Durin, Beren (the original), and Hail Manwe, and I may have forgotten a few names. Several of those have been contacted about the new forum, though.

Also, Merry Christmas to you and your family! santa
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Aiglos Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 am

Hello everyone!

21 year old boy/man from Norway here Smile
Enjoying football, workouts, haning out with friends and of course enjoying the works of Tolkien.

I found this forum in search of more people who are really looking forward too the Hobbit movie!
I am a huge fan of Tolkiens work. Read LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion. I am also a huuge fan of the movies, and think they are beautifuly made. And I'm sure The Hobbit will be done justice too.

My username is the name of Gil-Galads spear and means "snow-point". Think it's a very cool name and kinda fits me as I'm from Norway clown

So hello everyone! Looking forward too wait for the Hobbit movie with you and discuss Tolkiens work with you!
Aiglos
Aiglos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi Aiglos, there are a few other Norwegian people here like Ringrotten and Norc, and others that I dont remember off hand, but anyway hope you enjoy posting here.

santa rendeer
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi everyone! I have introduced myself (sort of) at another thread but hey, why not here too Wink
I am surprised to see other norwegians here Shocked but it isn't that weird though Wink norskinga e jo best såeh... xD
I am a huge! Tolkien fan! I've read Lord of the rings (of course) in both norwegian (not "Ringdrotten", read the translation by Torstein Bugge Høvestad, which in my opinion is great) and english. I've read the hobbit (again; of course) both in english and norwegian. I also tried to read the "nynorsk" version, but I got sooo confused. But I did like to compare the different translations and it would be great to open a thread here about it (for those who don't have english as your mother language Wink )

How did you first come across Tolkien? In our holidays we used to drive around in norway (it is a terrible looong country with terrible roads and LOADS of turns and tunnels!) and my dad had borrowed "the Hobbit" as an audiobook at the library. So that's how I was introduced to Tolkien. Afterwards we took on LOTR too. I've been a fan ever since. Dad also said we had to read the books before we saw the movies Smile and I am very glad he did (though that resulted in the fact we didn't se the movies until I was... hm... 15.. :S, since we stopped and i had to read from the beginning all by my self x) )
What do you think of the movies? I LOVE THE MOVIES! NO ONE WILL EVER CHANGE THAT FACT!!!!!! I do see stuff that could be different and so on, but I too se the movies and books as two different things. now, I can't wait for the hobbit bounce
How did you pick your username? Does it have any meaning? it doesn't have any meaning at all. it is a nickname I got from a friend who thinks I'm way too nerdy about LOTR. Has to do with orc and my name, Nora, and something to do with a moominvalley character named Snork (google him).
How did you find Forumshire? well, I was at the-hobbit-movie.com/forum before. people seemed to have a problem logging in there and, well, ended up here. so I followed Smile

I am looking forward to discussing Tolkien's work with u guys ^_^ and really so exited about the hobbit !!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Welcome and welcome Very Happy Always nice to see more Norwegians in Forumshire Smile

"But I did like to compare the different translations and it would be great to open a thread here about it (for those who don't have english as your mother langua0ge)"

Let me know whenever you want to discuss translations Very Happy I wrote a paper on it last year (yes, I am a bit of a nerd Wink), so I've got a fair bit to contribute with Smile

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Welcome Everyone! I hope you all settle comfortably in lovely Forumshire. Kick back with a Mug of Buckie and join in the discussions! queen

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Aiglos, welcome to Forumshire! santa It's great to have you with us. We're all definitely looking forward to The Hobbit, though some of us are more enthusiastic about PJ being behind the camera than others! I hope you enjoy your time here. Cool

Also, it's great to learn a bit more about you, Norc. Smile I'm glad you seem to be settling in here and it's great to have you stick around! I hope you've noticed that we found a way to post at Bree-land again as well, though. See here: http://the-hobbit-movie.com/forum/topic/how-to-post-here-again Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Welcome one and all to Forumshire at this festive time of year. Im sure you must be the internet equivelant of the match girl and need shelter and comfort. What else could explain new mebers at xms time? Fortunetly you have come to the right place!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Welcome and welcome Very Happy Always nice to see more Norwegians in Forumshire Smile

"But I did like to compare the different translations and it would be great to open a thread here about it (for those who don't have english as your mother langua0ge)"

Let me know whenever you want to discuss translations Very Happy I wrote a paper on it last year (yes, I am a bit of a nerd Wink), so I've got a fair bit to contribute with Smile

You're my kind of guy, Ringdrotten.

We had now power for two nights and a day (except for a few hours break) thanks to the hurricane, so I found time to enjoy a bit of Ringdrotten (the book, not the man) in candle light, with a glass of wine. That book is far to full of nerdy delights for me, it may not be healthy...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Excellent Very Happy I hope you didn't experience anything worse than loss of electricity, though, and I hope nothing has happened to our fellow Norwegians either, it's been quite rough.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:15 pm

I feel I should read "Ringdrotten" now xD well, I did try "Hobbiten" but too many alien expressions >_<
Amarië, sounds very cosy to read "Ringdrotte" while Dagmar is outside Very Happy well I just hope too that u only lost electricity and nothing more Smile
about translations, I heard somewhere (or my dad told me) that one of the translators had focused on giving each of the races in Middle Earth a different way of speaking, like dialects, based on the different dialects in Norway. Is this true? and is this the case of "Ringdrotten" or some other translation of the book/books ? (btw, wonder which dialect the orcs got Very Happy )
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Yes, there are different dialects and varieties of landsmål/nynorsk in Ringdrotten. It's just one of the things that make it such an excellent book Very Happy It's not easy to identify the orcs' dialect, but in many ways it is similar to some dialects spoken in Oslo (no idea whether that is a coincidence or not Laughing)

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Yes, there are different dialects and varieties of landsmål/nynorsk in Ringdrotten. It's just one of the things that make it such an excellent book Very Happy It's not easy to identify the orcs' dialect, but in many ways it is similar to some dialects spoken in Oslo (no idea whether that is a coincidence or not Laughing)

haha, that is no coincidence ;D what dialect do the elves have? and the rohirim and the men of Gondor?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 am

The Elves talk almost pure Landsmål, which is the oldest form of Nynorsk (it's not really Nynorsk, but it was the start of it). The translator did that deliberately to make the Elves' speech sound old, them being an ancient race and all that - a brilliant idea, and it works extremely well in the book Smile

The people of Rohan speak a variety of Midlandsnormalen. This was also used in Snorre's Heimskringla, so if you have read that one you'll enjoy the similarities between speech in Rohan and in Heimskringla, it adds a viking-ish touch to it Wink (not that the Rohirrim were vikings, but it's fitting in a way Wink)

Gondorians speak roughly the same, but there is in Gondor a bigger difference in speech between "regular" citizens and people like Denethor and Faramir, which also adds a nice effect. As you can see, I've written a paper on this and have a geeky interest in the matter, but there you go Wink

And I apologize to non-skattykatzenfjordian readers, as this post most likely made no sense to you! Embarassed

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:08 am

Ringdrotten wrote:And I apologize to non-skattykatzenfjordian readers, as this post most likely made no sense to you! Embarassed

I can't say I'm familiar with Norwegian dialects but the translation issue sounds fascinating! And the Wikipedia links (even with often-unreliable Google Translate) helped too. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks, I may try to read it now Smile it sounds very interesting, but one have to remember that when Ivar Aasen made Nynorsk/landsmål, he didn't come all they way to the north, so to me, nynorsk is not as suited for me as i could be. Sometimes it is similar to the way I speak, but mostly not. But I'll try, I think Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:47 am

I think if the Hobbits had been said to be living by the coast, as fishermen and farmers. (Or as we call it: fiskarbønder) the Ringdrotten translator would have given them a more salty dialect, so to speak. Or, I dread to imagine, Sørlandsdialekt. affraid

This is a wonderful translation because the dialects and spelling norms used mirror what Tolkien wanted to do in the English, but was not able to. The bokmål translation is good too, very well written, but this gives the story, history and people an extra dimension.

Ringdrotten: Hand over that paper already! Pretty please? flower

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:51 am

Amarië wrote:I think if the Hobbits had been said to be living by the coast, as fishermen and farmers. (Or as we call it: fiskarbønder) the Ringdrotten translator would have given them a more salty dialect, so to speak. Or, I dread to imagine, Sørlandsdialekt. affraid

oh no... Sørlandsdialekt in the grey havens.. Evil or Very Mad

hey, Ringdrotten, open up a thread with ur paper and we can discuss the translations! Very Happy the "norwayans" Wink silent or.. others are of course welcomed ;D
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:20 pm

"I think if the Hobbits had been said to be living by the coast, as fishermen and farmers. (Or as we call it: fiskarbønder)..."- Amarie

....they would be at constent logger heads with the Scotsdale hobbits over who gets to fish where! Razz

I'm all for a thread on this subject even though I don't speak a word of any of your dialects- except for the name of that Herring of course!! But I do find the subject fascinatating to read about (so please some english on the thread too so the curious and ignorant of other languages can muddle by!) and I suspect it would be exactly the sort of thread the Professor would wholeheartedly approve of and drop into.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:54 pm

I have to agree with Petty; I'd be interested to read such a thread provided I could read any of it!

BTW, Amarie, I love the new avatar. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Thank you, Eldo. Smile I finally found something I felt suited me. Wish I could take credit for the art though.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Very photogentic Amarie- the palantarazzi will love your new look I am sure. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Thank you for the compliment/warning. Wink

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Hey everyone! Just found the way to this wonderful forum and thought I might start with introducing myself Very Happy

How did you first come across Tolkien? I sort of grew up with his stories for my brother had a time in his life, when he couldn't stop talking about the Lord of the Rings. So I already knew very much about it when I saw the films the first time. I have to admit, that I've seen the films before I read the book. Of course, this knowledge gap is closed by now Wink
What do you think of the movies? Well, what shall I say.... They were the best films I've ever seen since the day I watched them the first time.
How did you pick your username? I always loved that name, since I've heard it the first time in a film. (I also love my username's nickname: Sem Wink )
How did you find Forumshire? I found Forumshire while searching the net for more information about the Hobbit film. I searched for people with whom I can talk about the latest news. I searched for something to distract me from the long time I still have until December 2012.

As some of you (or maybe all of you Embarassed ) might have noticed: English is not my mothertounge. So now, let me apologize for mistakes I will - unwillingly - make in the future, and I hope that you will always understand at least a part of what I'm trying to say. (if there is a very bad mistake then please tell me!)
Thank you Smile

Semiramis
Semiramis
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next