Lancebloke
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
halfwise
chris63
9 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 6 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:29 pm

I think LOTRs is near perfect. I think The Hobbit was a travesty, and the Amazon one isn't even 1% Tolkien so it doesn't figure.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 6 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:35 am

You haven't seen it yet!

Anyway, speaking of movies:
Her and 500 Days of Summer share many similarities: set in LA, about the arc of a relationship,  lingering shots of architecture, main character in both works at a card company...
In fact, the former only came out four years after the latter. Perhaps Spike Jonze lifted some inspiration from the other movie?

Watching them again post a relationship and break-up is a different experience. I just rewatched Her tonight, and his letter to his ex-wife is just the sort of thing that I've been feeling about my ex. I don't want to be with her, but I still love all these things about her, and I'm thankful for what we did together. I'm a slightly friendlier person now, thanks to some of her sociability rubbing off on me.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:34 pm

Relationships can be rough going, but you learn a lot.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:07 pm

halfwise wrote:Relationships can be rough going, but you learn a lot.

What I learned was how to avoid the bad'uns. When I was young I had no self confidence and I put up with some stuff that if it happened today my bullshit antenna would be twitching in seconds. But that's one of the main benefits of getting older. You know who you are, accept your basic character, flaws and all, and try to polish the rough edges off if you can and become steadily a better person. Just being here has helped me deal with stuff over the years.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat May 28, 2022 5:07 pm

Top Gun: Maverick was quite good.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 31, 2022 10:26 pm

My dad is out here visiting and I plan to see it with him. Smile

His cousin, Warren Skaaren, didn't write the screenplay for the original Top Gun, but rather compiled several drafts of it into a shooting script in a week just in time for production. He got an associate producer credit in the movie for that. He worked on some other screenplays like Beetlejuice, Batman (1989), and Beverly Hills Cop II, primarily as a re-writer or script-doctor from what I can tell, but died of cancer the year before I was born.

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:09 am

Wow, I find that really interesting,

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:55 am

Top Gun: Maverick is kind of a crowd-pleasing, popcorn-munching movie. It mimics much of the first Top Gun, and also feels a good deal like a patriotic entry in the Mission Impossible franchise.

I liked it pretty well. Smile

In other news, I was recently reminded that the titular character in Forrest Gump was rewarded for a lifetime of devotion to an uncaring, drug-abusing, 70s whore of a hippie with caring for her for a few months while she died of AIDS, and then raising the son she had conceived with him and kept a secret until she found out her diagnosis. Pissed me off all over again.

Oh and Jenny basically raped a retarded teenager. Another reason to dislike her.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:34 pm

Legend: Director's Cut came yesterday. I'm looking forward to that. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:00 pm

Legend is probably the most beautiful film I have ever seen. Hero comes a close second.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:14 am

Watched The Northman a couple of weeks ago. Just a Viking version of Conan. Kid sees his parents get killed, seeks revenge. Blah.blah blah. Conan was much better.

Also watched Dr Stange 2. It's fun. Not a I'm going to watch that again as soon as pos kinda film.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:27 am

Ghostbusters after life.

Wasn't to bad. Better then expected anyway.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:15 am

I was tempted to start a thread titled "Seen any bad films lately?" Because hoooooly shit is Enola Holmes blatant propaganda.
I didn't make it past the scene where Enola heads to London and meets a strong and powerful independent black lady teaching judo to a room full of Victorian women with hiked up underclothes. Laughing

I had brought Legend (1985) over to my sister's house to enjoy it with her and my brother's family, but the bloody disk from Netflix was cracked in half! Mad

So instead my sister-in-law scrolled through Netflix for a bit and picked out the rare and shining gem that is Enola Holmes. (Shining with toxic radiation that is, and less a gem than a fused cluster of sand from Chernobyl.)

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:01 pm

At least Enola Holmes pretty much advertises what it is, which I think makes it palatable. It's Sherlock Holmes recast specifically for little girls who feel cut out of the original - I don't think it's claiming to be anything else. Played for comedic effect.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:44 pm

You can't be "cut out" of something that you were never in.
It could have been enjoyable, if the writers weren't lunatics.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:55 pm

It was cute enough for a kids movie.
As for lunatics, I certainly prefer Enola over the sister in Sherlock. Laughing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Oh geez, don't remind me lol.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:21 pm

I thought of Enola Holmes as Sherlock done for girls, and they deliberately went over the top with it. It wasn't being woke so much as taking a theme and running with it. Relax.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:54 am

Yeah, right!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:21 pm

Why does Sherlock have to be made 'for girls', don't girls have an imagination any more, cant they just fucking read a book or see a TV show and use their imaginations to envelop themselves in the story. I am not a hobbit, but I dont need to be a Hobbit to enjoy the book ffs! Why do they need constant 'empowering' and representation, what is this obsession with empowerment and representation? well I think its just cynical marketing, just a way to make new rubbish that the over sensitive constantly offended snowflakes, yes, snowflakes  Suspect  cower around in their safe spaces. Laughing I think some people in the arts sit on the shoulders of giants, they prostitute great art because they have no original ideas of their own. So you get Jane Austin rip-off stories, Sherlock rip-offs, ad nauseum. So no, I have not seen any great films recently because they don't make films like Lawrence of Arabia, they make Pride and Prejudice with zombies. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:54 pm

Some pleasant crabbit to start off the day right Nod

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:11 pm

Nod yepp
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:29 am

About 20 years ago I saw Arthur, and thought it a right good wheeze.  Caught it on the telly tonight (not any of what I have to assume are execrable remakes) and found it still charming, delightful, near perfect except for some slippage in the last 5 minutes or so.  Too bad the writer/director had a heart attack a couple years after making it.

Where else can you see John Gielgud doing comedy?  Had Dudley Moore ever played a more perfectly written part?  Can't believe Al Pacino was actually considered for the part, though he showed a nice comedic bent in Dick Tracy.

Last edited by halfwise on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm

I don't think Al Pacino can do silly giddy butterfly, but Dudley nailed it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:52 am

I just watched this. It uh.. kinda makes sense after a while and draws you in. But in the end it's still such a weird Russian sci-fi. More like.. junk sci-fi, if that's a genre. It's like science-fiction, but everything is made out of junk lol.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next