New Middle Earth Movie?

3 posters

Go down

New Middle Earth Movie? Empty New Middle Earth Movie?

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:43 pm

What do you think?

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/lord-rings-movie-reportedly-development/amp/
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

New Middle Earth Movie? Empty Re: New Middle Earth Movie?

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:02 pm

too big, too mythical. I don't think it can be done as a film.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:40 am

Everything these days seems to need to be a trilogy and I would think this needs at least 3 movies to make sense.

Brief synopsis of the making of Arda, the original wars of the Valar and the bringing of Elves to Valinor, breaking of trees and the Noldor going to Middle Earth... that would be a long introduction or maybe a condensed movie 1.

Then everything up to unnumbered tears, last everything up to the war of wrath.

It would have to be super condensed!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:05 pm

Yeah I read this the other day.

Not sure I believe it personally (we got this covered is known for making up rrumours/reporting stories before all the facts are known) I think it's too early for more films, and the amazon series will have a such a huge focus through marketing/hype etc I'm not so sure people would be interested in a movie right now.

“Heard they are developing more LotR films,” he says. “One about the Fall of [Morgoth]”

As far as we know so far the rights to The Silmarillion and the wider range of 1st age writings (published in The Children Of Hurin The History Of Middle-earth series, various issues of Vinyar Tengwar, and Parma Eldalamberon etc weren't included in the deal with Amazon, whilst it appears some of the stuff from Unfinished Tales and possibly other unpublished writings on the 2nd age have been licensed on a case by case basis, if the Tolkien Estate felt ready to do a TV series and even offer the rigths ot new matertial, now seems the most likely time to release the rights to the 1st age writing i.m.o.

The dicussions with Amazon/the idea to do a TV series must have started whilst Christoper Tolkien was still head of the Tolkien Estate, IIRC he announced he was stepping down only a few months before the deal was finalised and reported to the public (these things aren't quick), but he did remain JRR Tolkien's sole literary exectuor until his death (we don't know as yet who has succeeded him, though I can make a couple of educated guesses), as i understand it due to his editorial work on his father's writings he is considered co-writer under copyrigth law of most of the books he has published. Given Christopher's views on Peter Jackson's films (views which to be fair, would most likely be similar to his fathers) it seems very unlikely that he would give the go ahaad to do 1st age film adaptations (especially as the filmakers would have to invent massive reams of the narrative/dialogue and make huge changes to the stories to make them commercially sucessful to the wider public) when he already viewed his own work editing The Silmarillion as somewhat defective and only an attempt at adapting/compiling together a coherent colelction fo wildly divergent drafts and writings.

In theory you could possibly make a 'Fall Of Morgoth' etc story based around the vague mentions/references to him and the 1st age in LOTR, but I'm not sure if that would be legal under copyright law (though assuming this story is true, perhaps that's the approach they are taking-''Well we are going to make this movie without your involvement anyway, you might as well release the rights to the Silmarillion so it's more accurate to the lore...'') and I still feel the 1st age stories are unfilmable without drastically altering their tone and spirit.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down