Tolkien, the film

3 posters

Go down

Tolkien, the film Empty Tolkien, the film

Post by azriel Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Tolkien, the film Tolkie10

Has anyone seen this film yet ? I watched it this evening & I feel kinda funny ? I feel Im in a poignant yet peaceful state. I did wonder at Nicholas Hoult playing Tolkien but it went well, & as the film progressed it gelled nicely.
Spoiler:
I thought it rolled along at a good pace, the music was not over powering & left the story to tell itself. I didn't dislike any of the characters, which is a bloody miracle ! I will watch it again. If anyone here hasn't seen it I suggest you give it a go. In a way I was glad it didn't go really deep into certain things as at the pace it did go at made me feel I was a part of it, that "from the outside in" feeling.

Tolkien, the film Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tolkien, the film Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Tolkien, the film Empty Re: Tolkien, the film

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:12 am

I saw it back when it came out actually, although I didn't get around to reviewing it I don't think.

I too enjoyed all the characters. Edith was a little lackluster, but the camaraderie between the members of the TCBS and the eight actors cast in those roles were both excellent. I could have done without the obvious Sam references in the trenches, a tad on the nose; and I believe there were some liberties taken with timelines. (Tolkien married Edith in 1916, before he went over to France, but the film has him getting married after returning from the Front.)

Yeah, apparently named after Christopher Wiseman.

I read Tolkien and the Great War right before I saw this movie, and I felt that it both prepared me against any Hollywoodisms that showed up in the movie, as well as giving me a great appreciation for the tonality that the film got right. Overall it's a solid picture, certainly the best non-Lord of the Rings movie I've seen that has to do with Tolkien.

But yes, the general likeableness of the characters stood out to me too. The children were all well cast (David Tennant's son is in there in the mix) and Derek Jacobi is lovely as a professor of language.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:55 am

I liked it. Thought it might have shown his Oxford days, but i guess we had seen his gang of four (TCBS). Pointless showing his adult gang of four. Not pointless, but a repeat of what we had just watched.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 am

I doubted Nicholas Hoult because of his baby face ! Smile I know that sounds silly but, he needed to age a bit & Nicholas has a young face that will probably stay young looking at 60.

Tolkien, the film Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tolkien, the film Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:19 am

They don't look very similar at all, but it's not as though Tolkien had an old face at 24 or whatever.

Nicholas could have used a moustache, perhaps.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down