Series to be filmed in Scotland?

+3
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
TranshumanAngel
7 posters

Go down

Series to be filmed in Scotland? Empty Series to be filmed in Scotland?

Post by TranshumanAngel Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 pm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/110496414/british-papers-claiming-amazons-the-lord-of-the-rings-to-be-filmed-in-Scotland

This could be interesting...Scotland seems like an eminently appropriate location for the likes of Eriador (at least, the lowlands do), perhaps we could get a different look and feel for this series afterall...
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Series to be filmed in Scotland? Empty Re: Series to be filmed in Scotland?

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Welcome back, THA!  (isn't that some sort of illicit substance? scratch)

At the very least Petty will stop complaining about the color of the grass.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Well, the 'grass' in NZ is apparently too brown, at least in the case of Rohan. And thank you - I've never really left, I just don't post of forums much. But I think this will be a nice place to come as the series begins to ramp up.
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 pm

{{ Hi Trans! cheers Scotland would be good for pretty much anything northern middle-earth. You can roughly draw a line from the southern tip of the Ered Luin right across the map to the tip of the Sea of Rhun, and anything north of that line you could get away with using Scotland and the fauna and especially the lighting and angle of lighting would be about right, or close enough to make no odds.

Once you go south it would be less of a match, and increasingly so. When you get to Rohan you are at the comparative latitude of southern Europe, and on flat plains and lush grass lands, and the lighting is noticeably different. And by time you reach Gondor and Lebannon you are in Italy and the lighting there is so different from northern Europe artists still travel there just to try to capture it. And of course fauna ect is quite different.

So it rather depends where they use Scotland for if it is suitable as a match up. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 am

Goodness gracious, Scotland a possible filming location for Middle-earth, and Petty isnæt simply over the moon?? Shocked

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 am

But are the Midges the right colour? Suspect

well Ithilien is defo Italy Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:37 am

and Petty isnæt simply over the moon??- Forest

{{Not even if it's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht! Scotland is no more suitable for everywhere in ME than New Zealand is. But it could be good for some places, so long as they are in the northern part of the map.

Soon as you cross that line I spoke of your are into different shapes of the land created in different ways with different geology, the angle and quality of the light is different and the fauna is different (and of course therefore the grass colour!)

Of course one advantage if they film in Scotland is if its sounds like they are making a complete arse of itl ike PJ did I can go round in person and vent my crabbit to the source! Twisted Evil

But are the Midges the right colour?- Figg

Hard to say, you dont notice individual midges as they come at you in mobile clouds of female aggression! (only the females bite, of course! Mad  The males just get to try to shag then starve to death and die content presumably in a job well done Nod )

Don't try this!!!

And every single one of those little bastards is biting you Mad They say in the old days they used to peg folk out naked for the midgies and by morning they would have been driven insane. I can quite believe it! pale Mad  So yeah the Midge-water marshes are well covered for filming them in Scotland- no cgi required. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 am

I wont be doing that, but what happens when they find an under kilt?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:08 am

I wont be doing that, but what happens when they find an under kilt?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am

Aren't Scotsmen renowned sprinters?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Very dangerous over short distances!

Mosquitoes are the same way, only the females suck your blood.

I love the idea of Scotland as a setting for places like the Trollshaws and similar parts of Eriador. I'm into it! Smile

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 pm

We already knew this, but now it's officially confirmed.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/amazon-film-lord-rings-tv-221347638.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:05 am

{{ What a shame- a wasted opportunity and instead they are just retreading old unsuitable ground- I suppose we can expect a completley non-canon looking Rohan, a non-Mediterrean vibed Gondor again and the north of middle earth and south of middle earth all having simialr lighting, weather and fauna again Mad

When ME is so widely accepted as so well realised by Tolkien its like another character it deserves better attenetion than this and not rehashing all PJ's visual and locational mistakes. This was a chance to get that right this time. And they've squandered it already. Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 am

Thing is, when I see the same sort of area, location, call it what you will, I automatically expect the same sort of acting, words being spoken, things happening, as I have in previous films, TV, you know. It would have been so nice to have it fresh & new. There are so many lovely places in the world. New surroundings would have notched up the old anticipation score Smile

Series to be filmed in Scotland? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Series to be filmed in Scotland? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 am

Oh absolutely, and instead this will be the third major Tolkien production set in NZ. "If it ain't broke..." they must be thinking, and all the government support of course, but the location is broke in some pretty major ways.

And just think of all the money they could save on CGI if they filmed in the Trollshaws in Norway!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
And just think of all the money they could save on CGI if they filmed in the Trollshaws in Norway!

Laughing

If it was the same team, going back to NZ would be a no-brainer. But Azriel's right, we need a fresh perspective.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:59 am

You would have thought they may have at least taken that from Game of Thrones' success. Kings Landing felt a million miles away from Winterfell or Slavers Bay.

The landscapes, the light, the architecture, the people.

Oh well, guess they can change the light in post production. And the land. And hire different people.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down