how tall are the misty mountains?

5 posters

Go down

how tall are the misty mountains? Empty how tall are the misty mountains?

Post by Norc Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:36 am

I was watching the movies recently, but this is just as good as a book-question as a movie-question. How tall are the misty mountains supposed to be? i am thinking altitude, latitude, climate, where's the tree-limit... how far did they go? It i skida a follow up to when i was wondering how far and fast they actually ran (there is a good thourough thread here too if one cares to search a bit)

happy easter!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

how tall are the misty mountains? Empty Re: how tall are the misty mountains?

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:41 am

{{Tolkien based them on the Alps- so thats a reasonable guide- book wise Boromir advises them to gather firewood while they can before they go above the tree line, so that seems much the same as well. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:47 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Tolkien based them on the Alps- so thats a reasonable guide- book wise Boromir advises them to gather firewood while they can before they go above the tree line, so that seems much the same as well.  }}

but how tall exactly?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:29 am

{{As far as I am aware Tolkien never said. He based them on his memories of the Grindelwald region, he was there in 1911 - the Alps at that point are 12,000ft.
According to wiki the Alps has over 100 peaks over 13,000ft and Mont Blanc is 15,781ft

The descriptions in the book pretty much match up to a range very similar to the Alps so I think we can take the max peak height to be in about the same sort of span- 10,000-16,000ft }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am

Yeah I don't know how 'exactly' can apply to a mountain range. 10,000 feet sounds low for a pass, though, unless you are talking about the ends of the range. Though come to think of it the pass in the Hobbit sounds like it could be 10,000 feet, but Caradhras 'feels' more like 12,000 feet. Maybe it's in my own head, but I also get the feeling these passes go along the sides of mountains rather than along valley floors.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:25 pm

{{Out of curiousity I put those Alps numbers into my landscape generator and made some alp like mountains- looks about right for the Misty Mountains I reckon }}

how tall are the misty mountains? 1

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:00 pm

{{out of further curiousity- if the Misty Mountains were not formed like the Alps but by glacial movement instead they'd look more like this}}

how tall are the misty mountains? Mt2

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:07 pm

10,000 feet seems low for a pass Halfy? That's pretty darn high in my opinion!

Out of curiosity Petty, what would they look like if they were formed by Tulkas wrestling a bunch of dragons? I assume there's a knob for that in your simulator as well, naturally!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:25 pm

{{Ill say it is! The pass through the mountain range closest to me is  only 803 ft above sea level, the the average height of the range it passes through is about 1,500ft - Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in Scotland is only 4412.73ft

And as for Tulkas- mmm rather more fantastical I fancy- I will see what I can do but no promises as sadly, no, it doesn't seem to have a setting for that  Mad  }}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:17 pm

{{Tulkas wrestling a bunch of dragons version! }}

how tall are the misty mountains? Fant

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:07 pm

What I mean by 10,000 feet being low for a pass is that Tolkien makes these out to be rather perilous, and people on foot don't seem to go through anywhere except these very few passes that are mentioned. If I was trying to go in secret I'd avoid easy passes and take off between any other likely set of peaks. Especially if you are on foot and have a ranger with you. But Tolkien seems to imply this is well nigh impossible. Hence I infer that there's nowhere as low as 10,000 feet or folks would be hopping back and forth over the Misty Mountains all over the place.

I've done the Inca Trail in the Andes. One of the "passes" was 14,000 feet, and those buggers built steps going over it. I doubt if anything below 11,000 feet was even called a pass - more like a bump in the road.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:27 am

I believe that the Andes and the Alps must be rather different in terms of weather and the like. That is, I believe 14,000 feet in the Andes is different than 14,000 feet in the Alps.

Perhaps the Misty Mountains are so called because of the bad weather around them.

I approve of the landscape Petty! Needs more dragon skeletons though! Adjust the setting for dragon skeletons please.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:49 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:
I approve of the landscape Petty! Needs more dragon skeletons though! Adjust the setting for dragon skeletons please.

Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 pm

halfwise wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:

Laughing

Razz alien
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down