malickfan
Mrs Figg
halfwise
Amarië
Norc
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises - Page 2 Empty Re: animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises

Post by Bluebottle Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 pm

Yes, significant poopage, but it is dry and easy to sweep up, as far as gnawing goes, just keep any leads off the floor where you keep it, and don't keep it in your bed room, kitchen seems to suit well, then they'll come running every time you open the fridge. The one I know doesn't squeek much though, unless she wants you to give her broccoli, the food above all foods, and as far as I know, spends most nights sleeping

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises - Page 2 Empty Re: animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:13 am

I had to be stuck with a night-owl of a guinea pig. Rolling Eyes

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am

My guinea pig had a big gap in its teeth so used to whistle and squeak all the time, it was a nice enough pig but started to annoy our dog (and us) so we gave it away...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 pm

According to mistranslations of the bible, turtles sing. So one might expect tortoises to hum at least.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 pm

i am getting a greek tortoise most likely, testudo hermanni, they get around the size of a burly man's hand. Not gigantic. they get old, but i don't think like 200, but prob 70 if i care well for it. i had a russian one as a kid, or my parents did, but it died around 15 (which is sad and probably due to lack of correct food and care). not getting the big one, as i am sure you know, i live at like 63-69 degrees north, so keeping large pet-tortoises outside is cruel.

when i am older and have my own apartment i'll also get rabbits. they're not nocturnal, don't know the term, but they're active in the morning and evening, so perfect for someone with aday job, they're active during breakfast and morning, and when you get home in the afternoon. perf. the same amount of care as a tortoise, but a little more cuddly.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 pm

I hope your tortoise adventure goes well, Norc! Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Is Bertil still around?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Bertil the avocado tree passed away a while back. I made his tombstone:

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises - Page 2 LABPYSY
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Razz

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 pm

halfwise wrote:Is Bertil still around?
Eldorion wrote:Bertil the avocado tree passed away a while back. I made his tombstone:

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises - Page 2 LABPYSY
no he dead. he dead a long time ago. Sad just recently threw out his carcass though. i thank you for the tombstone.

thanks eldo for the support, but please don't pick the stone yet.

also, eldo, what is the avatar about, is it hentai?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 am

I made the stone back when you first informed us of Bertil's passing, sorry. Razz

The avatar is cropped from a piece of fanart. The full version is NSFW but you'd see more explicit stuff on a nude beach in Germany.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 pm

there is a tortoise who is the longest living animal alive on earth, he was born in the 1832. that's 1832.!!!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Im always staggered how long tortoises can live. What is their secret ? Smile Them, & oak trees.

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 pm

Ahem, I believe you shall find that the longest living vertebrate in the world is a specimen of Greendland Shark, which rings in at 272 years old as of last year. This shark would have been pupped in... half a second... 1744. So the shark was 26 when Beethoven was born.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/08/greenland-sharks-animals-science-age/

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 am

Someone photoshop on a top hat and monocle for that snail please.- Malick

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises - Page 2 LYaWuHC

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 am

Surprisingly, that actually makes the slug photo less unsettling. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 am

halfwise wrote:Don't get a guinea pig if you plan to keep one in your bedroom.  They're nocturnal - they wake up at night and start rooting around and squeaking.  And significant poopage, though that may be because the one we had was on the larger size.  I say stick with the tortoise.  Not cuddly, but won't be gnawing on things all night to keep it's teeth sharp.

Hm... alternatively, you could eat the guinea pig if it got too annoying.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:07 pm

he won't answer and my cactus is almost dead i am thinking this might have been a stupid idea.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Your tortoise doesn't look up and wag its tail when you call? I think some expectation management may have been in order before you got the thing.

Tortoise, cactus...am I sensing a theme here? Is this a cry for mexican food in the frigid north?

BTW, I suspect that tortoises may eat cacti when they get bored. Your carefully arranged friendship between the two was like to be doomed from the start.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 pm

well, i haven't gotten the tortoise quite yet Smile but idk.. you know when one is supposed to do importan shit? like now, i am supposed to write a home exam, have to be in by noon thursday (now monday) and like.. i get so creative and of-tracked.. why?! how?!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:45 pm

most of the time I spend on forumshire is when I should be doing something else.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Yeah. Like me right now. In other news, what's up with the flayed cat Norc? Are you a Bolton now?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 pm

that's Chase No Face. he's a youtube star. got hit by a car as a kitten, but he is quite a happy little kitty..

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:17 pm

this is also a cool cat
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 pm

also a pretty cool cat
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next