malickfan
Mrs Figg
halfwise
Amarië
Norc
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises Empty animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises

Post by Norc Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi. So i joined another forum. A reptile forum. Because i'm either bying a bunny or a tortois. I need to (s)mother something. Currently i am more into tortoise because you can bring them in flights without them getting a heart attack. Also, one of my roommates is allergic. So tortoise. But i need to build a terrarium (tortoise-table). A habitat. And i am seriously struggling as to what kind of bedding i should get, because accordning to the internet; everything is dangerous. 

any of you have experience with tortoises? or animals..?

Last edited by Norc on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises Empty Re: animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises

Post by Amarië Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 pm

My cousin has a tortoise. Or a turtle. (There's a difference, but I can't recall what it is.)
I don't know anything about them.

I see you found the reptile forum, so I've got nothing more to add. Laughing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises Empty Re: animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 am

Turtles are semi aquatic, tortoises ain't. I can't imagine either one of them appreciating snow.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:06 pm

people at the reptile forum won't answer my question. but i am getting one (or two!) and make an indoor garden for them. promise i'll tell ya'll about it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:01 pm

People on the reptile forum are obviously cads and lowlifes. We'll take good care you here. Nod Tortoises are no different from anyone; they like potato crisps and snickers bars. But steer clear of the diet cola or you'll screw up their sugar cravings and they'll get fat.

I've just realized I have no idea what tortoise poop looks like. You'll have to report back.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:28 pm

As for bedding, just put in natural stuff like pebbles. They don't need bedding since they sleep inside hard shells anyway. I'm not sure you even have to put in something you can change like straw because tortoises don't poop. Obviously. I've never seen one do it so they can't possibly poop. Not like goats who poop at the drop of a hat like frickin' gumball machines.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 pm

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-often-do-tortoises-poop.15752/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Okay, so I'm wrong. But they do it very, very slowly.

Spoiler:

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:32 pm

halfwise, all your advice is wrong on so many level. I can only assume you are trolling.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 pm

They need earmuffs for those cold Norwegian winters. Just trying to help.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Okay, so you've shamed me into actually being useful. You've probably found this already, but I found the drawing for "soak your tortoise once a week" to be particularly charming.

https://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-a-Baby-Tortoise

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:24 pm

that's waaaay too much water.. poor thing's gonna drown. the rest i kinda knew Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I liked the big red arrow indicating "push him down in here" while the tortoise was clearly flailing its legs around in alarm. Razz

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:33 pm

only cats and more cats cat and one or two husbands, but that's easy, its beer and football.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi Norc Wave

I had a pet hamster, then guinea pigs between the ages of 7(?)-13(?) which were kinda fun at the time, but proportionally a lot of work for such small animals, Tortoises are cool but not really my thing, though they certainly seem more interesting animals...

We have a dachshund/Jack Rusell cross, she turned 11 in July and is still going strong (and sleeping well Laughing ), always been a dog person, not a fan of cats.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 pm

I wonder if tortoises are as fast as turtles:

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises BURZD5I

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 pm

No.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:53 pm

My advice is: don't kill it.

:prof:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Here ya go Norc, an alternate pet courtesy of Malick in the Whatever thread.

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises LYaWuHC

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Someone photoshop on a top hat and monocle for that snail please.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 pm

You could get a nice cuddly tarantula instead Norc

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises FUcxjNf

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm

When I worked at a summer camp in central texas I had a pet tarantula.  They are remarkably cool with being picked up and carried around,  but get annoyed when you keep trying to feed them for entertainment.  Thunking cockroaches against the head gets old I suppose.

When in West Africa I had a pet scorpion almost the size of my hand (this is a story I could stretch out for a long time, and I think did somewhere in these pages).  It would wake up at night and try to get out; its outstretched body with grasping claws would be silhouetted against the moonlight, giving me nightmares.  So I had to let him go.

These were both wild. I'm not sure 'pet' is really the right term. Captive is more correct. If let out these fellas weren't gonna bother finding their way home. I wouldn't do that these days.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

That GIF of the turtle is so sped up!

What kind are you going to get Norc? A mega-huge tortoise? Or a little tortoise? I don't know anything much about tortoises, but I read that the Mediterranean Spur-thighed Tortoise (Testudo graeca) is popular.

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises Mediterranean%20spur-thghed%20tortoise%20in%20the%20wild%20shutterstock_54177826-1

Don't tortoises live for a long time? It sounds like a large commitment. Edit: These ones live for over 125 years, and up to 200. Shocked

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm

malickfan wrote:You could get a nice cuddly tarantula instead Norc

animal care and stuff - mainly tortoises FUcxjNf

Yikes! Someone I knew had that once. Sat in a cage behind the sofa, used to scare the living daylights out of people Razz

How 'bout a baby guinea pig?

They are quite independent, and as long as you give them salad, and some other essential stuff, and clean their cage every week they manage fine. Although, not as big on cuddling as they grow older as you might expect from a mammal. :/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Don't get a guinea pig if you plan to keep one in your bedroom. They're nocturnal - they wake up at night and start rooting around and squeaking. And significant poopage, though that may be because the one we had was on the larger size. I say stick with the tortoise. Not cuddly, but won't be gnawing on things all night to keep it's teeth sharp.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next