+3
Kafria
Pettytyrant101
Orwell
7 posters

Go down

The Marvellous Land of Snergs  Empty The Marvellous Land of Snergs

Post by Orwell Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:04 am

The Marvellous Land of Snergs is a children's fantasy, written by Edward Wyke Smith and published in 1927. It was a definite influence on Tolkien. Has anyone here read it?

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

The Marvellous Land of Snergs  Empty Re: The Marvellous Land of Snergs

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Never got round to it, I'vs only read about it in the Annoted Hobbit where as you say its sighted as a major influence on Tolkien. There's some illustrations from it in the Annoted Hobbit if memory serves, I will dig out the scanner and scan them in.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Sorry, No!

may have to try dig it out now though!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm

I must try and order this book Tolkien thought so well of. I'll try Amazon, I think. Thanks guys.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Spoiler:

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:32 pm

I believe it's related to this one (from 1904):
The Marvellous Land of Snergs  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhZH3vmSYp9drmq4pHax_F7JI5YM_aUFDexgIkdGZdGEGGS1ny
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 pm

What a terrible imputation, David! Shocked It's actually quite interesting that folk compare Tolkien to Snerg, but never Snerg (as far as I know) to Oz. I also wonder if Tolkien was familiar with Baum? scratch (To save on colour arguments, I wonder if Tolkien went for hairy feet rather than risk calling hobbit footwear red or silver --- though Bilbo's foot hair might have seemed golden in certain light conditions! Shocked )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Both have a tin man on the cover....

The Marvellous Land of Snergs  51kbCtbhvDL._AA300_
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I haven't read it. Hammond and Scull give a brief summation of the story, noting afterwards (I can't recall if the following description quotes someone else or not) that the book is written tongue-in-cheek 'frequently mocking fair-tale and heroic traditions.'

A Snerg seems to be shortish, and there is an interesting section about parties apparently. Tolkien noted that the name Snerg could have better devised, and didn't like something (I forget what, if it's noted) that he referred to with a comparison to King Arthur, but generally spoke enthusiastically of the book.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:53 pm

I agree with Tolkien about the name, "Snerg." Sounds a bit like something you'd blow out your nostrils. Tolkien was always looking for the right name. Names (in stories especially) seem to need to have the right weight and feel and personality. "Harry Potter" while simple, caught my eye in the bookstore for some reason, so I took a closer look and ended up buying the first book to read to my daughter. (Then the second, and some of the third - she took over reading from there!) Bilbo Baggins is perfect. Sam Gamgee and Frodo Baggins are excellent too, though seem half-weigted to me. (I think Sam and Frodo as Bilbo split in two and spread over slightly too much toast). Names have power, and "Snerg'" would barely illuminate a light bulb - Bilbo is incandescent (evocative, eye-catching) for all it's surficial 'simpleness." Same with "Harry Potter" actually.

Oh yes: Hobbit. That catches your eye too. I had the book throughout Year 7 and had no desire to read it, but the name kept catching my eye (and Tolkien's picture of a fiery dragon over Lake Town too!) and finally I got past the first two pages (after several attempts!) The word "Hobbit" kept calling out to me!

Snergs were never going to catch on.

Come to think more on it, my second favorite author, Jack Vance, has shit names for his characters - with possible exception of Adam Reith and Zap210. Maybe this is why Jack isn't as widely revered as the likes of Tolkien and Rowling. His names don't generlly stick in your head, nor do they 'personalize' the characters/races/places often enough. Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 pm

woot is this??
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:41 pm

It's a lovely conversation we're having about Snergs and related matters, Nora. You took your time getting here.. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:15 am

Well, to be fair, she only took 2 days. While your (and now my) reply took three and a half years!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down