Go down

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 Empty Re: Tales of Home [8]

Post by David H Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 am

I could be wrong, but those look suspiciously like Willapa oysters... Suspect

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 am

The roasted oysters were definitely gulf oysters. They save the imports for raw consumption, if requested, and at a premium price.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 am

Looks like your having a good time Smile

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:15 pm

It's now snowing for the third time in the past week and is layering even more than it did the first time. Shocked I think this might be the most pre-Christmas snow we've received in my neck of the woods since 2009. The winter of 2015-16 was pretty heavy (possibly the longest continuous period I can remember of snow being on the ground without completely melting) but didn't really start until January.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Eldorion wrote:It's now snowing for the third time in the past week and is layering even more than it did the first time. Shocked I think this might be the most pre-Christmas snow we've received in my neck of the woods since 2009. The winter of 2015-16 was pretty heavy (possibly the longest continuous period I can remember of snow being on the ground without completely melting) but IIRC didn't really pick up until January.

The last Xmas snow we got must have been about 15 year ago, occasionally get a brief flurry of sleet, but snow is quite rare in winter down here in Hampshire though we had a very hard forst/lots of ice one day last week, more likely to get snow in March these days.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Actually I think heavy rain is more traditional Christmas Day weather for England.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Its either peeing down freezing rain or, a bright sunny day on Christmas Day. I cant remember when we had a snowy Christmas ? We've had some sleet, its been utterly cold &, windy ( and I haven't even had the sprouts yet ! )

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:06 am

It's been cold and windy here. Haven't had a snowy Christmas, ever.

There's certainly no lack of Christmas lighting down south though, if you're into the whole fire-side Christmas evening thing...

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 NWP-Thomas-Fire-0538

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 Thomas-fire-2

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:55 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:It's been cold and windy here. Haven't had a snowy Christmas, ever.

There's certainly no lack of Christmas lighting down south though, if you're into the whole fire-side Christmas evening thing...

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 NWP-Thomas-Fire-0538

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 Thomas-fire-2

I didn't know you lived bear mordor Shocked Laughing

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:35 pm

That is gruesome Shocked What about the wildlife ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:59 pm

"Flee, FLEE FOR YOUR LIIIVES!"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:58 am

We've been planting a new cranberry bog, cutting and broadcasting vines which are then disc'd down about an inch into the soil, which needs to be not too dry (in which case the vines don't penetrate ) and not too wet (in which case everything gets churned into a giant pool of muck Mad ). We just finished today, except for the fiddly bits around the edges!!! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Also still working on defending the shoreline from what's been called the fastest erosion on the Pacific Coast. http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/coast/erosion/washaway.html
So far we're beating the odds! The next major challenge will be the 11 1/2 foot tides around New Years. No partying for me this year. I'll be out on the beach trying to hold back the sea! Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:02 am

How does one do that exactly?

Am I understanding it correctly that you make a bunch of cranberry vine cuttings, and then spread them over a field and use a tractor to disc them into the soil? I would have imagined that you just walk along sticking the vine cuttings into the soil, like planting rice in a paddy.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Well done on the new cranberry site Dave Very Happy Sit back & wait now isn't it ? Good luck with holding back the tide ! I wish you the very best on that ! We've got coastal erosion here also, lost a whole village to the sea & now the cliffs are diminishing at a scary rate. I don't actually feel very confident living on chalk. It gives up too easily.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 pm

{{{Hope you have more luck than King Canute did! Shocked }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Canute was an amateur Rolling Eyes Relax, I've got this!

I've been corresponding with the engineers and professors, and we're going with something they call "dynamic revetment" which basically mimics a natural cobble beach, absorbing the wave's energy before it can collide with a vertical bank (which not only undercuts the bank but causes a reflected wave to strip the beach away below Mad ). Very few places have tried this because everybody seems to want to pay tens of millions of dollars for a guarantee that nothing will move for 50 years. With cobbles they're supposed to move, so that doesn't work!

So once I got the idea I decided Nature was the best engineer so I drove up and looked at the shapes of the natural cobble beaches 50 miles north of us and tried to copy their angles and shapes. So far it seems to be working, and costing about a penny on $10 compared to professional projects. That's the Farmer Way! :carrot:

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm

We need diagrams!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:31 pm

And pictures!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm

It's fascinating to hear about your work countering erosion, Dave. Smile I remember the news video you shared some time ago. I'm glad to hear that it seems to be going well right now!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:06 pm

I'd be happy to put some stuff up when I have time. Unfortunately it's never been easy for me to post pictures, even before Photobucket bolted its doors Mad .  
Does anybody have suggestions on an easy way to post pictures that doesn't involve selling your soul to Google? pale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:08 pm

I use Imgur.com most of the time. It's not a great service especially as they compress higher resolution images but it's usually good enough for me. I hear a lot of good things about Abload.de; their interface is in German but it's fairly intuitive IIRC. We have our own built-in image host if you click on the photo icon above the post box but TBH I almost never use it myself.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 pm

What's wrong with using the one-two punch we have in the tool bar? Drag and drop, then paste. Lemme make sure it still works:

Tales of Home [8] - Page 32 Barnya10

Sure, it doesn't have unlimited residency, but it lasts long enough.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
halfwise wrote:We need diagrams!
And pictures!

I'll take your diagrams and pictures and raise you the need of an academic paper Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks Eldo. I may try that later.
In the mean time, here's a FB page a neighbor just started a few days ago. "Erosion" has been spelled to rhyme with "emotion", but I'm OK with that Smile
https://www.facebook.com/washawaynomore/

And here's a video she took of me yakking, with  some of the cobbles we placed rattling in the waves behind me.
I've never liked seeing/hearing myself talk, but others seem to expect it of me... Shrugging

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:23 pm

That's not me.

This is me (I hope..)

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next