+4
halfwise
Mrs Figg
Forest Shepherd
Lancebloke
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Royal International Air Tattoo 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2016

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Lancebloke wrote:
halfwise wrote:Why was one of the F35s flying with the cockpit hatch open?

Hi halfy.

No, the top and bottom open up when it goes in to hover to keep the engine cool. You can see the same bits open in the picture of it on the ground.

Ah, I should have noticed the landing gear was down. If coming in to land the drag could serve to shorten the deceleration distance as well.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Royal International Air Tattoo 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:43 pm

They were more expensive than the government told us at first... but then isn't everything. - Lance

{{{Are they still as 'twitchy' to fly as they were said to be back when they were making them? I seem to remember one of the problems was that the test ones were notoriously hard to fly}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:56 pm

From what I have heard they are very nice to fly. They look like a lot of fun.

Things like this seem to go through a similar cycle. Design, build, costs go up, people say they are broken and rubbish, delivered over price, people use them and find out what they can actually do, best thing ever, next thing goes in to development and everyone complains and wants to keep the thing before.

F35 is there at the moment. In 30 years time everyone will have forgotten about how 'bad' it is now as they will be busy complaining about the next one.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Great pics Lance ! You really got some good'uns there ! We have a show down here but its not as good as the one you saw. Its still good with a variety of planes, Red Arrows etc. Everyone would come for the Lancaster but last year was the last year of showing it, not sure if the Hurricane will show this year either ? I enjoy air shows but I dont enjoy all the crowds, it gets so packed out !

Royal International Air Tattoo 2016 - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Royal International Air Tattoo 2016 - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Great pictures, Lance! Thanks for posting them. The A-400M is a beast. Dunno if I've ever seen (a picture of) one of those before.

Nice to see the F-35 out and about too. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:31 am

Az - thanks. The showground is spread out down the runway meaning the crowd line is about 2km or so long. There are about 250k people but it isn't packed like the public shows.

Eldo - it isn't as big as something like the C17 or C5 which might be more familiar to you... not sure if they fly at displays in the US. It is much more agile though and they proper throw it around.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 pm

This show looks fantastic, told a friend we'll have to go there next year if we can after looking at your pics Very Happy

Royal International Air Tattoo 2016 - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi Ringo.

I believe it is 14th-16th July 2017. Also think the USAF has an anniversary so may see some interesting things come over for that.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks, lance Very Happy

Royal International Air Tattoo 2016 - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2