Bluebottle
Pettytyrant101
Norc
10 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Twin Peaks - Page 4 Empty Re: Twin Peaks

Post by bungobaggins Tue May 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Still haven't seen the season 3. Hope it's good.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 am

{{ Do keep us informed of your viewing progress Halfy Nod 

Bungo- its as different to series 1, 2 as they are from each other. It has a completely different tone and feel- bit like the shift from the tv series to Fire Walk With Me (which I would say is a much watch before series 3 if you haven't seen it yet otherwise some things will not connect). As to good- well its Lynch and very Lynch at that! }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm not sure very Lynch is always very good. Eraserhead for example. I could take about half an hour of it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm

{{Thats why I said rather been good it was just Lynch. I dont think adjectives like good and bad really apply to a Lynch work as more than most tv or film its designed to create responses within the viewer that's a result of their very personal reaction tot he imaginary, sounds and ideas. This is true of all tv and film of course, at least in the aim of it, just Lynch is kind of a pure version of it. he isnt interested in a narrative in the conventional sense of the idea or as a means to explain anything so much as he is interested in the reaction to narrative and letting the viewer apply their own interpretation of an explanation to it. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 18, 2018 3:59 am

On the third episode the tendency of Lynch to produce reactive rather than logical scenes is evident. Up to this point Agent Cooper had been presented as a sort of Sherlock Holmes type, but then we see him pitching rocks at a bottle to intuit who the murderer was. Totally set up just for the oddness of the scene with no logic whatsoever. It worked as a compellingly quirky scene, which is why they did it; but otherwise made no sense and didn't even progress the plot.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 18, 2018 4:21 am

but otherwise made no sense and didn't even progress the plot.- Halfwise

{{ I'd disagree on both points for reasons I cant go into, but I'd say in the first series of Peaks at least nothing is pointless and nothing is wasted }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun May 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Started watching S3 tonight - weird stuff scratch

Twin Peaks - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 27, 2018 7:22 pm

{{Did you watch Fire Walk With Me first Ringo?}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 pm

I have watched it once before, is it worth rewatching before I continue?

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 27, 2018 7:32 pm

{{I would say yes (but if you're pressed for time just watch the opening stuff up till it switches to Laura in Peaks) after which I would recommend, though its by no means necessary, watching Twin Peaks the Missing Pieces after that then diving back into series 3-  }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun May 27, 2018 7:35 pm

Rented Fire walk with me now - I'll be blaming you for the nightmares

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 pm

{{Well given its bleak unrelenting horrific tone I think the nightmares are guaranteed Twisted Evil }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Dougie having breakfast - hilarious lol!

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 28, 2018 11:59 pm

{{{Almost everything Dougie = Laughing  }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue May 29, 2018 3:38 am

what the flying f**k am I watching? scratch

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 29, 2018 4:34 am

"high concept film-making"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 29, 2018 11:59 am

{{{I think with directors and writers like Lynch or Greenaway you can draw a comparison with the fashion world.
When you see catwalk fashion the normal reaction of most people is 'whose going to wear that?!' because everyday wear is not the immediate point- the point of the catwalk show is for the designer to set a tone, mood, and direction, an artistic interpretation and intent of cloth and colour. And no one does wear that stuff out and about as a general rule- but the shapes, the lines, the cut, the colours, the artistic direction and intent does, they get paired down, made practical and sold in the high street as the latest fashion.

Here is a description of a scene, name the Tv show- 'a wood at night. Round a campfire a retired army Major who claims to have worked in secret government programs such as Blue Book investigating aliens, begins to confide his tale in a young FBI agent who works for a department of the FBI that investigates the unusual, the seeming paranormal and aliens. The FBI agent goes to take a pee break when a blinding white light from the sky appears and upon the Agents return the Major is gone. Several days later the Major turns back up with little recollection of events and strange triangular marks on his neck.'

Now I'm willing to bet most people would say the tv show being described was X-Files. Its not of course it Peaks- my point being that the X-files is to Peaks what high street fashion is to the catwalk.
Whilst a lot of folk might find Peaks difficult to follow or watch due to its manner of construction and its subject matter and the abstract ways it relates those concepts to the viewer- without it we would not have had a slew of TV that followed which took elements of what Peaks did and made it more consumer friendly, more High Street if you will- Northern Exposure, Lost, Picket Fences, and X-files just to list a few off the top of my head. And the influence makes it into other media too- the hugely acclaimed much loved Silent Hill 2 is influenced heavily by Peaks for example and that game in turn went on to be one of the most influential survival horror games of all time, and so the knock on effect of what Lynch does goes on, because what he does is always so unique and individually him.

As Ringo is no doubt finding out series 3 of Peaks is not a rehash, a reboot, a retread or an attempt to recapture the feeling and time of the original show and its broadcast- all the mistakes every other attempt to bring back something seems to fall into- its a continuation, with a whole new plot, motivations, focus, and intent- its new not nostalgia. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue May 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Quite so, petty - this is something entirely different and new. And I like it, don't get me wrong (though I see how you might after my last post) - it's just, after watching part 8, what else is there to say? Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 29, 2018 3:03 pm

{{That explains a lot Ringo Very Happy - somewhere on here I reviewed that episode, I had made the good fortune choice to decide to watch it on my VR headset in a virtual cinema- so I saw it effectively on the big screen. I seem to recall I compared the experience with the only other cinematic experience to have generated a similar sense of enthralled marvel and wonder and fear and uncertainty- the first time I saw 2001 A Space Odyssey.  Episode 8 is is one of the most astonishing episode in terms of construction, mood, atmosphere, direction, mystery of anything I have ever seen. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue May 29, 2018 3:07 pm

You saw it in VR? You brave scotshobbit you pale

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 29, 2018 3:25 pm

{{Well its a VR cinema- but from my pov its just like sitting in an actual cinema with a full size cinema screen. And I watched about 3/4 of the series that way- Lynch shoots for TV same as he does for film which helps. }}

{{ (and as its Vr you can watch 3D films too)}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Took me a while, but just finished S3 - anyone care to explain wtf it's all about? scratch Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:50 pm

{{somewhere on here Ringo you can read my musing on that matter! Ill need to find where the buggery it is though- wheres young Eldo? He's spookily and uncannily good at knowing where stuff is

edit add start here Ringo- https://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t1229p675-television-programmes-2 }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Read your spoiler free post and the first with spoilers - excellent stuff, petty, I'll read the rest as soon as I can. And I know already from just reading those two posts that I will have to rewatch it all again with all those small bits of info in the back of my mind. What a show (and movie)!

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 pm

{{Thanks Ringo, hopes it give you some thoughts to take into a rewatch. My views I should admit on some parts are still shifting but thats the subjective nature of the work.

But you might also want to read when you have time this which I wrote as a sort of add on piece-

https://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t1229p725-television-programmes-2

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next