halfwise
bungobaggins
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Eldorion
9 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Hobbit Character Elimination Game - Page 3 Empty Re: The Hobbit Character Elimination Game

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:38 am

+1 to The Great Goblin
-1 to Roac

Contestants:  cheers 
Balin  9
Bard  5
Bolg  5
Bombur 6
Bilbo  5
Dain  5
Elrond  5
Fili  2
Gandalf  5
Gollum  6
The Great Goblin  2
Kili  4
The Lord of the Eagles  8
The Master of Lake-town  4
Roac  9
Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!  6
Thorin  4
Thranduil 5
Thrush  5

Eliminated:  :drum: 
Beorn

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit Character Elimination Game - Page 3 Empty Re: The Hobbit Character Elimination Game

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 am

I would play again to keep this going, but I have to wait for another person to post after Forest before the requisite two intervening posts have occurred. Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Great Goblin 1 (-1)
Balin 10 (+1)

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Smaug: 7 (+1)
The Great Goblin 0 (-1) ELIMINATED

Updating with bungo's move and mine:

Contestants:  cheers 
Balin  10
Bard  5
Bolg  5
Bombur 6
Bilbo  5
Dain  5
Elrond  5
Fili  2
Gandalf  5
Gollum  6
Kili  4
Roac  9
Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!  7
Thorin  4
Thranduil 5
Thrush  5

Eliminated:  :drum: 
Beorn
The Great Goblin
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:47 pm

+1 to Bombur
-1 to Fili

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:15 pm

{{{How am I supposed to play this game when no one, and I mean no one deserves a point? Mad I can take points off with ease though Twisted Evil }}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Give points to the characters on the list who weren't in the movies! Mad

{{{Sorry, we've been over this already I know. Razz}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Eldorion wrote:Give points to the characters on the list who weren't in the movies! Mad

{{{Sorry, we've been over this already I know. Razz}}}

In fairness I'm not sure you could argue Bolg had much character in the film, and many of the others share little in common with their prose counterpart (though saying Fili and Kili had 'character' in the books would be a stretch i.m.o)...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:42 pm

I wouldn't argue with you there. Whenever I look at the Wikipedia pages for "original characters in the LOTR/Hobbit trilogy" I'm always expecting to see a lot more listed, and then I remember that Wikipedia doesn't include anyone who shares a name with a character from the book, regardless of how different the two are.

Oh, and on a related note, Wikipedia also implies that Figwit and "Lindir", Bret McKenzie's character in TH, are different. Not in my headcanon! Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Oh, and on a related note, Wikipedia also implies that Figwit and "Lindir", Bret McKenzie's character in TH, are different. Not in my headcanon! Mad

I'm now expecting a detailed blog entry on your reasonsing Eldo :prof: study Nod

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:55 pm

Laughing

Actually, I got into a big debate on the movies over on TORn the other day that made me expend more brain power on the films than I'd done in over a year. I was arguing that Sauron's military actions during TH made zero sense. I drew up a map and everything. Very Happy Could probably crib together a blog post out of that but I don't want to dignify the movies too much. Razz

{{{Since I can't resist, though ... they never came up with a formal name for him during LOTR so there's no reason to assume he isn't, every other actor who played multiple roles went through make-up to have a different appearance (except Jackson's kids in their cameos), and it makes sense for Elrond's aide (as McKenzie appears to be in TH) to be at the Council (as he is in LOTR). Parsimony!}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 pm

{{You've been moonlighting on ToRN?!!! Evil or Very Mad }}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 pm

I do that periodically; I see other people from here over there too. Wink

Actually I've been splitting my time almost evenly between the LOTR Plaza and here recently, which is the first time that's been the case in years, but I think only Elthir has noticed.

Last edited by Eldorion on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Eldorion wrote:Laughing

Actually, I got into a big debate on the movies over on TORn the other day that made me expend more brain power on the films than I'd done in over a year. I was arguing that Sauron's military actions during TH made zero sense. I drew up a map and everything. Very Happy Could probably crib together a blog post out of that but I don't want to dignify the movies too much. Razz

I often forget you are more on the purist side of things, your are too reasonable about things!...I guess I've had too much experience arguing with enraged fanboys elsewhere Laughing

Very little of TH films makes sense when you really sit down and think about it (and I try not to) Sad

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{You've been moonlighting on ToRN?!!! Evil or Very Mad }}}}

So have I (albeit very occasionally though, I can't even remember the last time I had a proper conversation about the books/films...)

Don't you wind people up post on TORn occasionally?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:22 pm

malickfan wrote:I often forget you are more on the purist side of things, your are too reasonable about things!...I guess I've had too much experience arguing with enraged fanboys elsewhere Laughing

Very little of TH films makes sense when you really sit down and think about it (and I try not to) Sad

It's kind of weird to hear you say that since purism was my "thing" for a good while when I was younger. (I think you might have been the one who found and linked to my old Purist Manifesto a while back. Razz) I get why it doesn't seem that way though. On the one hand, while my views on the movies haven't moderated much, I'm less interested in expressing my distaste for them these days. The tone of the purist debates also changed following AUJ and especially DOS. I mean, there was plenty of vitriol in the past, but the level of it went way up and the only explanation I can think of is what one might term "jilted lover syndrome". Most of the older generation of purists, who criticized the LOTR trilogy for years, had never had high expectations for or opinions of PJ, whereas the newer generation had to work through feelings of disappointment, betrayal, and confusion at the image of PJ the "Tolkien scholar" or at least Tolkien superfan being punctured. This also led to some internecine conflicts between people who claimed that TH was fundamentally different from LOTR, though I've weighed in on those before.

Then of course you have Petty, who has always been one of a kind. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Don't you wind people up post on TORn occasionally? - Malick

{{{Me? Never Shocked It is true that after Bree went down I did take my Forumshire outreach program there Nod but my drunken crabbitness was rather too much for the place I think Mad and it sort of spread out a bit, and I got banned Evil or Very Mad until I got very crabbit at their mod about that and they unbanned me Twisted Evil but I haven't posted there in I don't know how long. drunken }}}

Then of course you have Petty, who has always been one of a kind.- Eldo

{{For which everyone including me is very grateful Nod (Well except Figg maybe for whom one me may be 1 to many!)}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:39 am

-1 to Fili the Overrated, which drops him from a great height for all to see! Twisted Evil (Or was that Kili?) 

Kili Eliminated! I mean Fili! (Honestly I typed in Kili by mistake there)

+1 to Elrond the Lore-master

Contestants:  The Hobbit Character Elimination Game - Page 3 Icon_cheers 
Balin  10
Bard  5
Bolg  5
Bombur 7
Bilbo  5
Dain  5
Elrond  6
Gandalf  5
Gollum  6
Kili  4
Roac  9
Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!  7
Thorin  4
Thranduil 5
Thrush  5

Eliminated:  The Hobbit Character Elimination Game - Page 3 1343409886 
Beorn
Fili
The Great Goblin

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:07 am

Bard +1 (6)
Kili 3 (-1)

Let's not keep the brothers separated for long. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Kili-1
Gandalf+1

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:24 am

-1 to Roac 
+1 to Smaug

Balin  10
Bard  6
Bolg  5
Bombur 7
Bilbo  5
Dain  5
Elrond  6
Gandalf  6
Gollum  6
Kili  2
Roac  8
Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!  8
Thorin  4
Thranduil 5
Thrush  5

Beorn
Fili
The Great Goblin

Kili's not got long I fear! 

The Hobbit Character Elimination Game - Page 3 Tumblr_mfnvn2dSxS1r5dg4bo1_250

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:31 am

Gandalf +1 (7)
Kili -1 (1)

:drum:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:13 am

I can't help you there Eldo.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Bombur +1

Thorin -1

A little shocked at how poorly Bilbo is doing...though I definitely preferred Holm's take on the character anyway...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:31 am

+1 to Thranduil the Fabulous
-1 to Dain the CGI'd Boob
Balin  10
Bard  6
Bolg  5
Bombur 8
Bilbo  5
Dain  4
Elrond  6
Gandalf  7
Gollum  6
Kili  1
Roac  8
Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!  8
Thorin  3
Thranduil 6
Thrush  5

Beorn
Fili
The Great Goblin

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next