UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

+12
odo banks
chris63
RA
Ringdrotten
Orwell
halfwise
Bluebottle
Lancebloke
Nagual
malickfan
azriel
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 4 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by Lancebloke Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 am

I didn't think his comments were inappropriate. Our decision will have impacts on others too!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 4 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:07 pm

I didn't think his opinions were inappropriate either. He is entitled to a personal opinion and at the end of his tenure he doesn't give a toss any more and just says what he thinks. What he said was sensible and measured, it certainly wasn't scare tactics, on the other hand Boris Johnson was well out of order mentioning Kenya. for fucks sake, he really showed himself up to be an ignoramus.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:29 pm

I agree that the Kenya comment was way out of line.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 am

The reference to Brussels just makes it better. (The ECHR has nothing to do with Brussels, or the EU.) Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:00 pm

{{{No but the Tories dont just want to take us out the EU, they want to take us out the Human Rights act too and create our own to replace it- apart form the fact a human rights act drawn up by tory toffs doesn't bear thinking about- it would cause considerable constitutional problems, as both the Scottish Parliament and the Northern Irish Assembly both have the human rights act and other European legislation written into their very fundamentals- I dont see how you can separate them without tearing down the institutions and rewriting them from base up}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue May 10, 2016 7:27 am

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 10, 2016 8:40 am

"The Commision for example, all apointed, not elected."

Well, well done picking out the one major branch of the EU that is "all appointed, not elected." Let's not mention the Council, which represents the executive branches of the member states governments, or the European Parliment, which is elected, only people don't actually use their democratic right leading it to be filled by fringe elements.

What the EU does have an institutional issue with is that it skews the internal relationship between the different member states governemental branches, as the Council and the EU is a product of the executive branches of the member stats governments and their influence as well is larger with regards to parliment than it tends to be nationally. Further parlimentary control with the executive branches actions in the EU context often leaves much to be desired.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 10, 2016 2:50 pm

I think it will be a sad day if the UK leaves Europe.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 10, 2016 9:37 pm

{{{on the point of democracy in the EU- which it needs a lot more of, but not as urgently as it needs a lot more transparency and information made available- which rings me on to a question for all the other European members (though I know you Fjordians arent in it, exactly, but you still have to agree to a lot of the rules) and the question is this-

Does your daily national news tell you what's been going on in the European Parliament that day?

Because it doesn't in the UK. I couldn't even tell you the name of my MEP, and its not like I don't pay attention and have an interest in politics- its just you here nothing about what they are doing nothing about what is happening in the European Parliament unless its something huge or a disaster, or more commonly, both.
On the main 6pm UK news I get the UK Parliament, on the Scottish news which follows I get the Scottish Parliament- but not the European one.

So is it he same elsewhere, or is it a peculiarly British thing to be so poorly informed on the works of the Parliament on a daily basis? }}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 pm

In the US if it's outside the borders, it has to be on the level of Armeggedon or we don't hear of it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 15, 2016 8:23 am

Boris, stahp. What are you doing. Boris.

EU Referendum: Boris Johnson compares EU's aims to Hitler's - BBC News

The worst part is that there is a germ of an interesting point that deserves discussion in there, but by couching it in a Hitler comparison, Johnson weakens his own point (especially since the comparison makes no sense) and distracts from the actual issue. Are we sure he isn't secretly trying to sabotage the Leave campaign?

"But fundamentally what is lacking is the eternal problem, which is that there is no underlying loyalty to the idea of Europe.

"There is no single authority that anybody respects or understands. That is causing this massive democratic void."

For real though, this has become a serious problem with both the Eurozone debt crisis and the migrant crisis proving that the "common European identity" was pretty paper thin and that once things went south, a significant portion of both voters and politicians reverted to exclusively national allegiances rather than trying to stick together and help out the countries getting hit hardest. Seen also in the lack of democratic engagement with the European Parliament, which in addition to having poor turnout in the last 10-20 years, is clearly not highly regarded even by the people who do show up, given the number of hardcore euroskeptics and other fringe parties represented.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:14 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Faisal Islam. giving politicians shit since 2016. cheers Thumbs Up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Well of my four close relatives who I know are definitely registered to vote, three have already voted Leave by Postal Vote, and the fourth has been on the fence for weeks.

I'm almost 100% sure I'll be voting to remain, but given the apathy many younger people have, and a ever decreasing voter turn out I'm beginning to wonder if Leave might just win by default-if you are happy with the status quo there's arguably much less of an incentive to go out and campaign.

I've only seen Vote Leave campaigners canvassing local areas so far, but I live in a generally right-leaning areas anyway so that's not surprising...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:43 pm

{{{Much the same here Malick- in fact I came home tonight from work to find a flyer through my door for a Leave town hall style thing at the local Grammar School, and had plenty of leave propaganda through the door recently- almost nothing for Remain though.
From a Scottish perspective its nothing like the indie referendum, that was ll everyone talked about and argued about- the feeling I get now is apathy- most people seem to be treating it like a Tory infight that's nothing to do with them- and when it comes to the vote apathy seems pretty high up the list, followed by people voting how they knew they were going to before the talking about it ever started.
I've also noted a marked reduction in interest among my female work collegues compared to the indie referendum- this might be the profusion of white men in suits doing the arguing. That might change here a bit as Sturgeon is stepping up to campaign more for Remain on a UK stage starting with the big ITV debate.
I don't get the sense that there will be any great change of opinion like in the indie ref where Yes went from 22% to 45% (that shift is always why I dont get the resurgence on the remain side of Project Fear- they seem to thin it worked in Scotland, when the truth is it lost them a 23% lead. And the starting pint for in/out is near 50/50.) }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:23 pm

I think the remain campaign has been tragic so far, where is Corbyn? its unforgiveable. There is no neutral ground to trust, the newspapers are partisan, the Daily Mail is spewing immigration hate, as if by leaving the EU we can stop millions of people coming from outside Europe, which is what is having the most dramatic effect on our culture, At least the European migrants learn English and don't practice FGM. Its not Europeans we have to worry about, and what the hell is Farage on about the UK becoming like Cologne? They were north Africans, its just scaremongering. All we need is for Dave to draw up some restrictions on immigration like the Ozzy point system, tighten up the borders which he can do without us having to leave Europe and those are the main concerns of the public sorted. Rolling Eyes  even if the Chuckle brothers (Boris/Michael/Nigel) do win, they ARE NOT IN POWER so they can promise all they like, if they are not PM its a waste of time. As for economic arguments, ALL  the major financial people have said its a massive risk to the economy, anyone who ignores that is an idiot.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:40 am

I just had to go & click on the other vids Smile I listened to the one about weird recorded noises. I still not sure what to think but its fun watching & hearing ideas of what these sounds could be.

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:14 am

well the Pound has taken a nose dive. well done Boris!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:44 pm

If Brittain leave will the Chunnel need to be back filled? scratch

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:40 pm

yes. Nigel has his spade ready.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:43 pm

If Brexit happens I am going to become Italian. fuck it. I give up. Rolling Eyes Its too embarrassing to admit being part of a nation of idiots.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Popped into town to meet a friend, once again only LEAVE were campaigning, almost all of the supporters seemed to be 40+, none of my friends are voting Leave as far as I know.

I'm starting to think it will be a repeat of 2014 with the older generations' votes cancelling out those of the younger generation.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:10 pm

young people need to wake up and vote Remain because its you lot who are going to suffer most.
and what on earth is going to happen in Ireland? are there going to be internal borders between a European Ireland and a UK Northern Ireland, how would that work, you would need a passport, it would tear people apart.
I saw the debate in an Irish university with Blair and John Major, they were very good. It make me realise how bad the Tories have got when John Major starts looking like a nice decent chap. I remember when he was PM and the Tories were engulfed in sleaze scandals and Mad Cow desease. happy days.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:12 pm

OMG no more cheap European travel. that's just the pits. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next