Norc
bungobaggins
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Tales of Home [7] - Page 19 Empty Re: Tales of Home [7]

Post by azriel Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 am

No, David sweety, cant say that I have. Your a brave chap ! I can imagine you half hitched on your bike calmly stating the do's & donts of country life. Where you aware very soon into the discussion it was a chainsaw he had ? that sounds daft but, little things like that dont always pop into the mind when you are focused on something else Smile

Tales of Home [7] - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tales of Home [7] - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am

some of you may never have had a conversation with a junkie carrying a running chainsaw- David

{{ Being Scottish this sort of thing happens all too regularly! Nice story though- you got to be very careful round your junkie, never turn your back on one, even if so far they have seemed the most harmless nicest person in the world- when it comes down to the crunch the habit wins out over all other considerations in the end- Id have gone back to the car backwards from that one, so I never took my eyes off them both.
But don't you need a chainsaw license to use a chainsaw in the US? You do here, so if they seemed to be using one without proper safety gear ect you could just get the authorities to deal with them- personally I'd be more inclined to take your route and talk to them first anyway}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 16, 2016 12:43 pm

No more licensing for chainsaws than for guns, and it's easy to make arguments either way for what sounds daft.

I don't quite understand a pickup truck being parked where it shouldn't be on a country road. One might pull off anywhere to take a leak. But being stopped with the sound of a chainsaw is something else.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 pm

azriel wrote: Where you aware very soon into the discussion it was a chainsaw he had ?
Oh yes! Though I was trying to be friendly, civil, and firm at the same time, I was careful to keep my bike slightly between us so it could be used as a shield if worse came to worst.

Petty wrote:But don't you need a chainsaw license to use a chainsaw in the US? You do here, so if they seemed to be using one without proper safety gear ect you could just get the authorities to deal with them-
The thought of anybody having to carry a license to use a chainsaw had honestly never even crossed my mind till now, any more than an axe, a shovel or a lawnmower. For that matter I'm always surprised when I go to a part of the world where there are licenses on bicycles. Here, cars are the only things I can think of that require licenses unless you're doing something commercially (oh and marriage, but that's a different subject... Smile )

Most people have at least one chainsaw but you rarely see safety equipment unless the person is an employee in which case their employer would be liable for an accident if they were hurt and weren't properly suited up. As for authorities, I was a mile and a half from a telephone at the time and if I'd called in the license plate number they'd have just thanked me and added it to their list. The sheriff doesn't have the time or manpower to be driving around the county for these sorts of things so we are strongly encouraged to self-police.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon May 16, 2016 2:13 pm

halfwise wrote:
I don't quite understand a pickup truck being parked where it shouldn't be on a country road.  One might pull off anywhere to take a leak.  But being stopped with the sound of a chainsaw is something else.

Sure, it's not really a case of "shouldn't be". More like "what's wrong with this picture?" There's a sense of what belongs and what doesn't, and if there's any doubt it's just a good thing to stop and talk to people. It's funny how many people think that "nobody owns this land" or that there are no rules in the country. And sometimes you meet some very nice people when you stop and talk, or people who need help, or people who are willing to listen to a long story. You just never know.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 18, 2016 12:29 pm

{{From a BBC documentary on wildlife inthe Highlands narrated by Ewan Mcgregor- slow-mo footage of an osprey catching a trout}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Those wings are magnificent but, I feel for the fish, he's gotta know that this is "it" for him.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 18, 2016 12:45 pm

{{Well givent the trout has at least 1 curved talon embeeded in its head things can tbe looking, or feeling good for it No I mean, poor little trouty, hatched in an egg, one of the lucky ones out of thousands not to get eaten before they even got a chance, survived no doubt all sorts of scrapes and hazards under there as it grew up, avoiding fishermans hooks and pike, maybe got a mate down there, some eggs of your home, then your having your morning breakfast of flies and wham, some great bloody bird lands on you and sticks a huge hook into your head before wrenching you from your world into a terrifying new one you cant breathe in, and tears you to bits and eats you.
You know if there is a God he is a right sadistic bastard! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 18, 2016 1:03 pm

I used to think God was female & having a bad day.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 18, 2016 1:41 pm

The way of nature seems to be you can have a right good life up until the unavoidable grisly death. Part of being human is sidestepping that last part.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 20, 2016 3:22 am

So hey, halfy (and our other NY peeps ... I think DJH and Raddy?), I'm gonna be in Manhattan in July. Going there for the NY Tolkien Conference on Saturday 7/16. Would love to hold a Forumshire meet-up of our own if you're available.

https://newyorktolkienconference.com
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 20, 2016 3:55 am

Wow, a Tolkien conference in NYC! I'll have to look into that.

Remind me if you're of drinking age. There's two New Yorks, and that's the divider. (oh! you're profile says so!)

We'll have to get David Jones Howard in on a bike trip up the Hudson or somthing I think. Maybe Cafe Reggio, the first cappacino machine in America. As for you, we're hitting the village at night. And Harlem. And....well, as long as you last. This town don't quit. But we'll start at the Bitter End, incubator for half the rock groups you've heard of, and take it from there.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 20, 2016 4:00 am

Just looked at the program.   I'm sorry, but much as I love science, "the Inklings and Science" is a stupid-ass theme for a conference.  But it's cheap and I'll register, I just won't be wrapped up in it.

More to come as I study the location and how to put it to use for the first Forumshire meet-up for those who have never met before.

Last edited by halfwise on Fri May 20, 2016 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 20, 2016 4:05 am

Good location for using Citybike.  $12/day for unlimited rides of up to 30 minute each.  That will get you a long ways given the density of stuff to do in lower manhattan.  What's the hotel situation? Or are you heading home the same day?

It really is possible to find hotels for a decent price in Manhattan. either reserve early or wait for the last minute and see what you can find. Don't neglect the B&B in northern Manhattan; remember the subway puts you 30-40 minutes from anywhere.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 20, 2016 1:14 pm

this is exciting, first Forumshire meet up, yay! cheers
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Awesome. Very Happy The chair of the conference posted about it on another forum I frequent. I'm actually gonna submit a proposal for a presentation; figure I have a better shot at getting in the door at a less established conference than something like Mythcon. Razz Plus history can count as a social science. But I'm going to the con regardless of whether the proposal is accepted.

I was thinking about trying Airbnb but I'll be poking around to see what option might be the most cost-effective. Will probably try to spend the night before the conference in Manhattan rather than getting on a train at 6am or something. And possibly the night after the con too; drinking's not usually my thing but I'd rather not bail on any post-con social opportunities cause I have to race to catch a train. It's exciting! I've enjoyed visiting NYC before but it's been a few years. The subway was incredibly convenient from what I remember.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 21, 2016 12:30 am

Yep, now that you are of legal drinking age NYC will take on a whole new perspective, though I wasn't drinking myself at your age. But it does make you feel more comfortable sitting at the venues where stuff happens if you can at least nurse a drink.

I have to say July is a bad time to find cheap rooms in NYC. I see places that I got for my friends a month ago for $95/night are going for $175/night in July. If worse comes to worse, there's always youth hostels, or you can crash on my sofa bed in the living room. Or there's a place a few blocks from me that's $100/night or $50/2 hours. (Should be interesting.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 21, 2016 2:13 pm

I think I stayed somewhere called "the Chelsea Hostel" when I was there. (Not "the Chelsea Hotel" mind, that was around the block.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Eldorion wrote:I was thinking about trying Airbnb but I'll be poking around to see what option might be the most cost-effective. Will probably try to spend the night before the conference in Manhattan rather than getting on a train at 6am or something. And possibly the night after the con too; drinking's not usually my thing but I'd rather not bail on any post-con social opportunities cause I have to race to catch a train. It's exciting! I've enjoyed visiting NYC before but it's been a few years. The subway was incredibly convenient from what I remember.

Well, then it's about time to get that sorted. Then all you need is a pretty girl in your life, and you'll have every reason to drink your life away. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Which comes first, the drinking or the pretty girl?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 21, 2016 3:16 pm

When it rains it pours. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Actually, I just realized it doesn't work if you're drinking before the pretty girl. Oh not at all. No Timing and impressions is everything.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Of course it works. Women get drunk too, you know. Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Read more carefully - it doesn't work if you're drinking before the girl is drinking. If you start at the same time, you're fine. If she's a little ahead of you, it helps. But you haven't got a prayer if you're already two drinks in when she shows up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Well, there's a method to any madness. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next