Amarië
Norc
azriel
20 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 15 Empty Re: Holidays and absences [3]

Post by azriel Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:25 pm

D'yer wanna get near him with a match ?? I dont, that'll be half the island gone ! pale Shocked

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 15 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 15 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Americans! West coast ones in particular!

Looking for a potential return to your shores to finish my bucket list in that part of the world with a flight in to San Francisco and drive to Las Vegas.

I am likely to be there for a week with a few anchor days each side. Looking for any recommendations of things that I might not know about that I really shouldn't miss if I am unlikely to come back.

Thoughts?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:32 am

I recall you posted San Fran pictures before so you've probably done more touristy things there than I have, but have you ever been to Lake Tahoe? It's probably not on the fastest route to Vegas but it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited so I'd definitely recommend it if it's practical for you to stop by along the way.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am

I haven't seen Tahoe myself, but Mark Twain said Tahoe outshines lake Como by far.

I suppose you've done the trees, Lance?  And of course you should do some wine tasting on the way out of San Fran.  While IN San Fran I highly recommend the Exploratorium: many imitators, never matched.  I don't think descriptions really do it justice. But it helps if you have a scientific bent of mind.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:44 am

Lancebloke wrote: Looking for any recommendations of things that I might not know about that I really shouldn't miss if I am unlikely to come back.

Thoughts?
Hi Lance! It's not something you don't know about, but I think the Grand Canyon is something you probably shouldn't miss if you're not likely to come back. Well worth a side trip from Vegas IMHO. Thumbs Up

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:45 am

Oh geez, well, you've been through this way before, right Lance?

So you've probably driven Big Sur, and visited the redwoods, and taken the drive through the Mojave desert. If you haven't seen much of the Sierra Nevadas I would certainly recommend that you try visit either Lake Tahoe or Yosemite of course if you haven't seen them.

If you drive south through Fresno you can cut over to Sequoia National Park. Moro Rock is a huge granite dome there that you can hike to the top of and that has a spectacular panoramic view.

If you were thinking of somewhere more Yosemite-direction, you could check out Hetch-hetchy. Wapama Falls there is pretty awesome.

If, for some reason, you consider California Condors a must-see, then I can suggest somewhere pretty close to me: Pinnacles National Park is a relatively small park (108 sq. kilometers) south-east of Monterey Bay off of Highway 101 (or 25 on the inland-side of the park). I go hiking there up to the summit every year for my birthday. It's no Yosemite, but it has some lovely volcanic rock pillars, and is one of the few places you can spot California Condors (which at one point in 1987 were extinct in the wild) if you're lucky.

Joshua Tree National Park is slightly south of your route to Las Vegas, but is a fun visit if you enjoy your desert with a great deal of flora and fauna in it. 

There's a major sand dunes off-roading site in Pismo Beach south of Morro Bay if you're into jumping ATVs off sand-dunes and such.

My brother broke his back there when he misjudged how far down the other side of a dune was as he jumped it on a four-wheeler though, so I can't recommend it that highly.  Neutral

Certainly get some seafood in San Fran and down the coast if you go that way!

If you take Highway 1 south along Monterey Bay I highly recommend Phil's Fish Market and Eatery in Moss Landing. They have live music sometimes, and pretty much the best seafood in the bay I'd say!

Oh yeah, speaking of down Las Vegas way, I recommend Death Valley--but only if you're visiting in the winter! It is both the hottest place in the world (supposedly), and the lowest point of elevation in North America. You can drive up to Telescope Peak at 11,043 feet and look down at Badwater Basin below you which is 282 feet below sea level.

The entire valley functions pretty much like a convection oven, so that hot rising air from the valley floor is trapped by the high valley walls and recycles it back down again where it becomes even hotter by compression. It's claimed that it got up to 134 degrees fahrenheit (56.7 celsius) there back in the early 1900s. I just looked it up to make sure, and yeah, the hottest overnight low was 110 in 1918. 

I mean, you get up at 4 in the morning before sunrise, and it's 110 degrees...  pale  (43.3 degrees celsius).

Anyway, I'm really glad I visited there the year before last. Consider skipping in spring, summer, or early fall though. It is not a pleasant place to be at those times, especially in July.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:57 am

Some good advice in there all.

Forest, we did the drive south from San Francisco to L.A and then on to San Diego before heading north through Palm Springs and Mojave to Las Vegas last time around. We also took a trip out to the Grand Canyon on our first trip to Vegas a few years before that (thanks for that tip David.. was a good trip).

Looking to head east out of SF and have a night or two in Yosemite/Sequoia/Death Valley way so some good tips there!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Have some rocky mountain oysters. I'll happily send you a check for the cost if you down a plate and take pictures.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:30 am

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 15 RockyMtnOysters47

Not that bad you might say; looks like fried chicken even.

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 15 4-lamb-testicles--flickr-dom-brassey-draws-comics

No

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 am

Go to Yosemite if you can only choose one. Definitely shouldn't be missed!

It's crowded during the busy season especially down in the valley, so look into reserving a campground spot way ahead of time if that's where you'll be staying. Although I will say that Tuolumne Meadows and other various spots outside of the valley are just as good as far as a place to stay. I mean, if you can avoid camping in the valley you will probably save yourself a good deal of hassle.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Those..er...things...on sticks ???? what are they pale Please don't say they are things I cant find at Tesco ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:38 pm

You can't find them at Tesco. I'm willing to keep quiet about what they are, as I'd rather not think about it too much myself.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:41 pm

{{They look a bit like haggis- only not as angry Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Yosemite is on my list and the main reason I want to go back. Trying to work out the best place to stay!

Also want to spend more time in SF and a Cirque show in Vegas that we really want to see.

Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:50 pm

azriel wrote:Those..er...things...on sticks ???? what are they pale  Please don't say they are things I cant find at Tesco ?

Perhaps at Testico... Nod

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 pm

I suppose you know the obvious in SF: ride the streetcar over the hill and down into fisherman's wharf. Nice neighborhood on top for a posh drink near Lombard street. Some good live music at the wharf.

Or try the Top of the Mark for panoramic views in a piano bar. Not that the piano is being that creative, but it's a splendid environment if you're with someone.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 pm

David H wrote:
azriel wrote:Those..er...things...on sticks ???? what are they pale  Please don't say they are things I cant find at Tesco ?

Perhaps at Testico... Nod

OMG ! Thanks Dave, that says it all............. I need a bin, a sick bin.... pale No

{{{ Hang on scratch its not anyone we know is it Suspect }}}

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:04 pm

{{well they aint mine! I just checked under my kilt and my haggis are still hanging there, drying out nicely in the musty warmth Nod }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:17 pm

I don't know if I want images like that going round in me head just before bedtime ? Neutral  Its all coming back to me now, like some horrible apparition......Dum dum dahhhhhh....
Its the GEODUCK !! Run for your lives !! before its too late !!

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 15 Geo10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Now your speaking my language Az! :brows:

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 15 Giphy-downsized-large

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:29 pm

nature is weird Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 pm

They do look like they've got some oysters in them, but that's not where Rocky Mountain oysters come from. something meaner. No

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:25 am

pale

What is it with Forumshire and the phallicies!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:29 am

You've got phallicies too?

I once thought the hot chick down the hall was into me, but it turned out to be pure phallicie.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:47 pm

:facepalm: Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next