Amarië
Norc
azriel
20 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Empty Re: Holidays and absences [3]

Post by David H Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:41 am

The cops on the interstate often discourage "camping" (often defined by over-8-hours or setting up a tent) but one of the primary purposes of rest areas is for long-distance divers to get a couple hours sleep rather than fall asleep at the wheel and kill somebody. You'll see the commercial longhaul truckers stop sleep for several hours all the time. Even further, if there's no rest area handy I've often parked at a weigh station or wide spot on the soulder. Once in a great while a cop will stop. Then you just respectfully say, "I was driving to xxxx and I just couldn't keep my eyes open so I pulled over." That's your right, and the officer always say something like "thank you for driving safely. Have a nice evening."

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:57 am

Eldorion wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:Yeah the weather has been really kind to us. Today is beautiful. Northern Wisconsin and the UP are kind of a no man's land. Laughing

Man you drove a ways for sure. 20 hours straight on the way back? Yikes! Hope you were careful!

If you're ever out this way again swing on down to Murderapolis and I'll buy you a non alcoholic beverage. Wink

My brother was like "you'll see so much more of America if you stay off the Interstates" so I decided to try that on the way back and ... yeah, it's not for me. Razz Was definitely a trek. I hit up Chicago on the way out though (drove over two days) which was nice.

I was prepared to sleep at a rest stop (brought a sleeping bag and comforter to stay warm in) but wasn't sure if the cops would approve of that. Would've done so anyway but I drank a red bull, and one of my meds, an anti-depressant that is prescribed for sleep, will actually keep you up all night if you don't go to bed and try to clear your mind very quickly. Helped that there were so few cars on the road as well of course. But I would've stopped if I felt unable to drive safely.

I think I've got the travel bug out of my system for now, but that could just be a desire not to spend so long in the car again just yet. Laughing Will keep you in mind if I make it to Minneapolis in the future (I did kind of want to visit the Mall of America too). Thumbs Up

MOA fuck yea! Metal

RIP Camp Snoopy Sad USA

Your travel tales reignites my desire to do the Route 66 drive from Chicago to Cali. Don't think I'll have the time or energy for that anytime soon, though. But what I have been thinking about doing lately is driving out to Devils Tower WY for a Close Encounters of the Third Kind pilgrimage.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:10 am

Eldorion wrote:

My brother was like "you'll see so much more of America if you stay off the Interstates" so I decided to try that on the way back and ... yeah, it's not for me. Razz Was definitely a trek. I hit up Chicago on the way out though (drove over two days) which was nice.

um, the place to see America is not the backroads of the midwest. A few hours of it is okay, but 20 hours of mainly cornfields will drive you loopy. Try the coasts instead.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:11 am

halfwise wrote:um, the place to see America is not the backroads of the midwest.

u wot m8?

{{{ Razz }}}

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:36 am

I don't think that was worded right. It's a problem of density, not culture. The midwest is arguable the most quintessentially American, but way too damn spread out. To get the best mojo per mile, do a coastline. More densely populated, concentrates the cultural touchstones.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:53 am

I appreciate your take on it, Dave. This was a brand new experience for me but that makes sense and is what I was certainly hoping the case would be. Didn't really want to wake up to a cop tapping on the windows though so it's good to hear that's not too common.

I don't know when I'll have time for something like this again either, bungo. At this point I figured I'd take advantage of being on leave from work -- basically the first advantage I've seen from the events of the past few months. The idea of taking a road trip had been in the back of my mind for a long time. I think it was a good experience for me; hope you can do one of your ideas soon. Smile

I think I get what you mean, halfy. I may try again, though probably not over so great a distance. But if I ever get a chance to drive a portion of, say, the Pacific Coast Highway, that would be very hard to pass up.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:34 am

Eldorion wrote:But if I ever get a chance to drive a portion of, say, the Pacific Coast Highway, that would be very hard to pass up.

If you're ever driving up the Washington Coast send me a PM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:40 am

Heh, talking about other places to travel to is making me start thinking about other trip ideas, and I'm not even unpacked yet. Laughing Will do though, definitely. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:21 am

The journey we did in route 1 from San Francisco to San Diego was nice. Not sure how far North it goes and if the scenery is comparable but would recommend at least that part
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:13 pm

North of San Francisco 1 becomes 101 and goes through giant redwood groves up to the Oregon Coast, then across the Columbia river up to the Washington Coast. I never get tired of it.

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 California-Coastal-Redwoods-7-2011-08-25_1936x1296

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 DE555E1D35542D523769CF3E6E4F60A1

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Astoria_-_Megler_Bridge_in_2009

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Kalaloch

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Breathtaking. And a fine place for a driftwood fire.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Looks like that may be worth the drive next time I get over then. Been thinking of doing my next challenge and one I am considering is biking from Yosemite to San Francisco (also Costa Rica coast to coast and one in South East Asia).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, Dave. But now I'm stuck with the dilemma of wanting to drive that ... and the SoCal stretch ... and Marin County.... Darn. Mad Laughing

Edit: seriously love that bridge pic. I drove an extra two hours on my way home from Minnesota in order to hit the Mackinac Bridge but, while I generally prefer suspension bridges, this one is just too cool.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Speaking of absence, we haven't had a mysterious delivery of mysterious peppermint scented mystrious postcards in a while. We must have scared whoever it was away. Nod

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Edit: seriously love that bridge pic. I drove an extra two hours on my way home from Minnesota in order to hit the Mackinac Bridge but, while I generally prefer suspension bridges, this one is just too cool.

That's the Astoria-Megler Bridge across the mouth of the Columbia River. It's about an hour and a half from here so I drive it fairly often and I still feel the awe every time. At 4.1 miles long it's claimed to be the longest continuous truss bridge in North America.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Lovely pics David ! Smile Id like some of that driftwood to be creative with ! Smile Great bridge Smile

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:25 pm

{{{{Just drop this causally here I think. Folks have no idea how difficult this was- 22hours! To stay hidden in the heart of town I had to wait till after dark to get the palantir shot- you ever tried waiting for it to get dark in Needlehole where all of Forumshires timezones meet Mad }}}}}

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Need_zpsqrj6izri

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:50 pm

The Tower of Lore looks suitably ominous. pale

and what the hell is 'He Who Cannot Be Named' doing in Needlehole? Suspect GUARDS!!!!!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:59 pm

{{{Thats the Who thread building- how can you not know that? scratch - its blue, has a Tardis for a door, a sign with all the Doctors on it and says 'Who Thread', and its right next door to your shop Mad }}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:12 pm

if its the Who Thread shop it should have a public health hazard warning sign. and a notice for demolition. Suspect don't want it to scare off my 'customers'. Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Still loving all the postcards! cheers Makes it almost feel as if Petty himself was here, and in some strange way. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:36 pm

{{{{{ psst- meant to say Figg- thats not the Tower of Lore, its not so ominous looking and overlooks the town on a rocky outcrop, that's the Admin Tower Nod }}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:43 pm

I think we could do with a museum/gallery, Smile So the general public can view what goes on ( if your stupid enough Smile )

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Holidays and absences [3] - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:06 pm

don't want it to scare off my 'customers'.- Figg

{{{But none of your customers go in the front door! I don't know why you bother having one Mad }}}

I think we could do with a museum/gallery- Azriel

{{{I'd certainly like a single thread to go see Norc's art contributions to Forumshire and it should have a music section too for Orwell and Blue and others with actual talent Nod }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:25 pm

I would like to have all the postcards on one thread. Very Happy that would be great.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next