The Wobbit A Parody
Pettytyrant101
odo banks
Eldorion
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What should our new domain name be?

VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Voting1038%VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Voting10 38% 
[ 3 ]
VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Voting1038%VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Voting10 38% 
[ 3 ]
VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Voting1024%VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Voting10 24% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 8

Poll closed

VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Empty Re: VOTE: custom domain name

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 pm

As long as it's only too far off topic Laughing

Seriously though, I think you're right. Perhaps we should try to stay on topic on the Tolkien discussions, and start new topics if (or rather, when Laughing )we start to drift away Wink Makes it easier for everyone to join in on the discussions.

VOTE: custom domain name - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I raised for consideration the issue of zany off-topic-ness a little while ago, Kafria, but Petty considered otherwise, and now I consider him right. I think with the conversation we're now having about this, we'll self-regulate to some degree anyhow, but then, even if we don't, that's us all over anyway! Very Happy

Let's be careful about putting restrictions on folk. Natural Law (Syndicalist Anarchy?) is working okay at the moment. It might make it awkward for some, but after all, we're not a Tame Forum (with apologies to CS Lewis Wink )

As to forming Councils, I can't see a need.

Perhaps Eldo could open a MEMBER REVIEW or GENUINE COMPLAINTS section (MR or GC - or whatever else we might call it), where genuine complaints or discussion points can be posted. This way, MODERATORS can respond quickly. (Of course, it would be incumbent on us all not to muck about in MR - GC).

I think the nasty and troublesome will stand out like sore noses (or sore losers) and a quick notification on MR would alert our iron fisted MODERATORS. Even if they have only time to check in briefly because of their Other Worldly committments.

Two cases would exist. (1) The OBVIOUS ORCS (OO's) (if they were to appear) could be kicked off quickly, and (2) the less than OBVIOUS ORCS can be discussed in the MR/GC section by all Free Forumshire folk. In the second case, I'm sure agreement would be reached easily about taking stern action (or not) without putting all the weight of the decision making on our MODERATORS.

Here to help! Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:48 am

I'm all for using self regulations as much as possible- the mods stepping in should be always viewed as a last resort (like Brighton* Very Happy ) but a step I think we need just in case.
On the matter of going off topic I said in reply to Orwell mentioning this previously that I didn't think we were too bad on the Tolkien threads, its the rest where we tend to wander more. Maybe if we are just a little more concious of staying on topic on those threads thats all the regulation it will need. And as to the rest of the threads- most of them going off topic is what they there for.

*I was going to explain this but can't be a**ed. Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:08 am

Remember that it's always possible for us mods to split tangents into their own threads if they get too bad, though I haven't done that as often lately. Wink I agree with Kafria that it is advisable to try to stay on topic in the Tolkien threads. Smile

Last edited by Eldorion on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 am

"And as to the rest of the threads- most of them going off topic is what they there for"

Well put Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 am

Eldorion wrote:
Clearly a lot of love the name Forumshire, and I think it's a wonderful name and description for our community, so I was thinking about it. If we end up going with hobbitmovieforum.com or hobbitmovierefugees.com, we could still incorporate the name "Forumshire" by changing the forum title (that appears at the top of every page), regardless of what the URL is. For instance, I could change it from "The Hobbit Movie Forum" to "Forumshire: The Hobbit Movie Forum" or something similar. Perhaps that would give us the best of both worlds.

I like this idea, so can I withdraw my vote for forumshire.com and change it to hobbitmovieforum.com, too?
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:35 am

This election is farcical Admin!!! Wink

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 am

Is it safe to say that we have consensus about moving to the URL hobbitmovieforum.com and changing the forum title to "Forumshire: The Hobbit Movie Forum"? Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:43 am

I think it is Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:50 am

It seems a sensible decision, Eldo.

(Uncle!)

I think the winds of inevitability are blowing in that direction. Though I suggest you not be hasty. My college professor, Paul Wardell - my history lecturer - says that change is fine as long as it's not change for the sake of change.

(Uncle Orwie - do you mind!!!)

It must be for good purpose and not just because of fashion or whim. He has learned his hstory lessons, you see, not just learned them from books by rote. He watches lots of documentaries and keeps an eye on the news, especially in relation to world politics.  Nod

(This is your last warning.  [slap] Ha! That hurt didn't it! I did warn you!!!)

I'm interested to see how things turn out, Eldo. You must do what you must whatever I say. I do admire decision makers - so long as they're well thought out decisions. That goes without saying.  Very Happy

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2