bungobaggins
chris63
Bluebottle
Eldorion
David H
13 posters

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 3:30 pm

"rise"? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I fear Blue you have still not grasped the subtleties or power of crabbit. Mad

You worry about what the thing is in order to improve upon the thing- but to improve a thing you first must crabbitly and loudly point out all the things which are wrong about the thing.
This should ideally be done with carefully calculated doses of buckie, violence, ranting and crabbit.
Amateurs may get into some trouble at this point getting the balance correct. drunken
But when done successfully strategically applied crabbit can make any thing better. Nod

So, what you are saying is I've created a new form of crabbit? Shocked A crabbit without care for it's object, without want to improve upon it, without moral foundation and goal? A crabbit that might one day destroy the world?

What monster have I created? affraid *faints theatrically*

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Sailing stones, sliding rocks, and moving rocks all refer to a geological phenomenon where rocks move and inscribe long tracks along a smooth valley floor without human or animal intervention.

Stones with rough bottoms leave straight striated tracks while those with smooth bottoms tend to wander. Stones sometimes turn over, exposing another edge to the ground and leaving a different track in the stone's wake.

Trails differ in both direction and length. Rocks that start next to each other may travel parallel for a time, before one abruptly changes direction to the left, right, or even back to the direction from which it came. Trail length also varies – two similarly sized and shaped rocks may travel uniformly, then one could move ahead or stop in its track.

Tracks of sliding rocks have been observed and studied in various locations, including Little Bonnie Claire Playa in Nevada,[1] and most notably Racetrack Playa, Death Valley National Park, California, where the number and length of tracks are notable. At Racetrack Playa, these tracks have been studied since the early 1900s, yet the origins of stone movement were not confirmed[2] and remained the subject of research for which several hypotheses[3] existed. However, as of August 2014, timelapse video footage of rocks moving has been published, showing the rocks moving at low wind speeds within the flow of thin, melting sheets of ice. The scientists have thus identified the cause of the moving stones to be ice shove.[4][5]

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Sailing-Stones-Death-Valley7_zpsus1wsalk

Thanks to Wiki' Very Happy there's a load more to read about this but, I thought this was enough ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 20, 2015 9:00 pm

So, what you are saying is I've created a new form of crabbit?- Blue

Sadly no, what you have stumbled upon there is the danger to unwisely applied crabbit, the result of which is the Scottish Common, and Greater NED.
These are Scotshobbitlands lowest form of mammal. They are distinguished by their distinctive nasal whine, with which they call to each other and the Common NED, which is largely harmless on its own, hunts in packs. This is when they are at their most dangerous.
They can also be unsuspectingly cunning, and use a form of banter which is both brutal and cutting.
The Greater NED can usually be found at the head of groups of Common NEDS, in their natural abode of a council house watching SKY tv.

So you see the proper practise of crabbit is essential to avoid the fate of just using it to be a wee NED.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 9:12 pm

You couldn't let me revel in my megalomania for five minutes, could you. You know, this is the sort of thing that turns people into superheromovie villains. Mad

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 20, 2015 9:35 pm

You couldn't let me revel in my megalomania for five minutes, could you.- Blue

NO, I bloody well couldn't, not if I am going to help you become a proper crabbit. Mad
And then one day, if you learn all the lessons of crabbit Ways you will reach a moment of revelations- and find fault in absolutely everything I have taught you and how I taught it, and by doing so you will honour your teacher by turning your crabbit upon them.
And when you come to pass on the Ways they will be improved teachings, improved by your crabbit decimation of your teachers methods. Crabbit is self improving and self-refining. Nod
Its the magic of crabbit, just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye Sad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: and by doing so you will honour your teacher by turning your crabbit upon them.

I thought I just did. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 20, 2015 10:20 pm

NED = "Not Even Drunk" ??

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu May 21, 2015 8:38 am

Discovery of ancient stone tools in Kenya date back 3.3 million years

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/discovery-of-ancient-stone-tools-in-kenya-date-back-33-million-years/story-fnjwl1aw-1227363855353?from=public_rss&utm_content=technology&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=technology&utm_medium=banner

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:45 pm

This is the Mir Mine in Russia, and it is the world's largest diamond mine.
Imagine falling down it Shocked

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Diamond%20mine%20in%20russia_zpsdbldapsg

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:00 am

Didn't we see that in Return of the Jedi? You know, with some tentacles sticking out.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:58 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Tumblr_ncc9evxFBH1tficwmo5_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Quote=" The two World Wars had a huge number of friendly fire incidents. During WWI, C.S. Lewis was wounded by shrapnel from a British shell. In 1917, the British submarine G9 attacked its fellow British submarine Pasley with torpedoes after mistaking it for a German U-Boat. Pasley survived the attack, only to ram G9, resulting in G9 being cut in half and sinking, leaving only one survivor. At the start of World War II, one British submarine sank another after mistaking it for a German U-Boat, resulting in 52 friendly fire deaths. In 1942, an RAF raid resulted in the deaths of many New Zealanders in Egypt. In 1943, a German blockade runner was torpedoed by a German U-Boat, resulting in 364 deaths. James Doohan, the guy who played “Scotty” on Star Trek, was mistaken for an enemy soldier and shot six times on D-Day by his fellow countrymen. This is just a small sample of the huge number of friendly fire incidents that took place throughout the wars." = Unquote
And we are supposed to trust these people to save us & country Razz

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Yaeh, like the Joint Chiefs of Staff who counselled a first strike against Cuba during the Cuba crisis. Rolling Eyes Odd how military decisions seems best left out of military hands..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Thumbs Up Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:27 am

quote " all clear windows, originals blown out during the war. A Luftwaffe pilot running for it dropped his load, if you are in Dorset, please visit, every window is etched/engraved. The grave of Lawrence of Arabia is just over the road." unquote.
Very Happy

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 St%20nicholas%20churchmoretondorset_zpsgqxrp4po

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:22 pm

that's superb! Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:10 pm

So pretty. Quite an interesting idea to put a new spin on the church window thing as a result of the war, too.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Im fond of stained glass with all the vibrant colours & intricate detailing but this, is just as lovely, like a frost on a winters morning.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:24 am

This Beautiful Planetarium Watch Puts The Solar System On Your Wrist.

This beautiful planetarium watch designed by Dutch watchmaker Christiaan van der Klaauw for Van Cleef & Arpels puts the solar system on your wrist, rotating six tiny planets around one tiny rose gold sun in the centre. The planets featured on the watch are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, the only ones that are visible to the naked eye and each of them is made from semiprecious stone.

The planets orbit in real time, meaning that Mercury will orbit around the watch in 88 days, the earth will take a full year and Saturn - the furthest planet from the sun takes a full 29.9 years to return to it's original position!. A small shooting star orbits on the outer ring of the watch to indicate the time.

Unfortunately though this super cool watch comes at a price, £153,400 to be precise.

More info: http://www.vancleefarpels.com/eu/en/collections/watches/poetic-complication/vcaro4j000-midnight-planetarium-watch.html#1435628934862

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 2015%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:06 pm

That is such a lovely watch !!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:07 pm

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Odo's hole seems suspiciously absent from that list.  I suspect an Archet Bugle pay-off. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 am

Found this picture quite relevant to the title of this thread. Smile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 4 Lc71jMl

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next