bungobaggins
chris63
Bluebottle
Eldorion
David H
13 posters

Page 18 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by chris63 Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:52 am

Aliens?

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by halfwise Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Bad video. Where's the x-ray of the 3 fingers? They only flash something briefly but don't dwell on it the way they would if that was what was going on. I think this is an edit designed to lead you down the wrong path.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:44 am

I want my 3 fingered aliens Sad

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 am

The last Wooly Mammoths survived on a couple of islands north of Siberia until about the time the pyramids were built.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-reveals-last-woolly-mammoths-201105919.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:41 am

Ive got a soft spot for mammoths. Beautiful lumbering beasts. There was talk of bringing this species back via cloning, Tech lab interference. If it were possible how would a Mammoth cope in todays world ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:43 pm

There's some Siberian scientists who feel they were essential to the ecosystem and have even created a spot to bring them back to life. (last link is to a video)

https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/n0207-mammoth-could-be-brought-back-to-life-in-siberian-reserve/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_Park

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/519000/the-russian-scientists-bringing-back-the-ice-age/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed that video Halfy Smile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:56 pm

https://themindcircle.com/louis-coulon-his-11-foot-beard-as-a-nest-for-his-cats/?fbclid=IwAR2pJPdBZG1XAkVgSuV2pawhVGMhZoM5LjGByWlWlVtW4stJAg7RWC5wAAc

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 am

http://www.montmartre-secret.com/article-montmartre-cabaret-l-enfer-65371180.html?fbclid=IwAR3C0gcAzNrc-Dn31BV36nlx-kuF1OsANhFu_lzC-W1eysTN_4JkI4a3GZw

I saw something that caught my eye but, sorry chums, its in French

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 Ahells10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:28 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 The_en10

Entrance to the municipal cemetery in Lujan, Buenos Aires

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:55 pm

I've been to a different cemetary in Buenos Aires, and it was definitely an experience.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:45 pm

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:20 pm

Thanks Forest, that was great! After 2 minutes I quit what I was doing for the next 45 minutes.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:35 pm

Didn't Mel Gibson use Matera for his Jesus film?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:27 am

Loved that vid Smile And he is just the kind of humourist, bumbling, intelligent yet roughly handsome guy I like Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 am

What is it with Brit guys who know they are on video for the public, yet never even think of combing their hair? At least run your fingers through it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Il run my fingers thru it Smile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 18 Wig10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:56 pm

I don't fully buy this story, but there are a lot if interesting historical tidbits here, distorted though they may be:

https://medium.com/@fcameronlister/the-surprising-location-of-atlantis-aa75937356e2

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:55 pm

{{ Been reading a bit about the causes of the French Revolution and how Marie Antionette was used as a scapegoat. The main factor in the roots of the revolution it turns out was America. France spent several times its anual income suporting the revolutionaries in America against the British Crown, and after the formation of the United States America welched on its debts and refused to pay France back, leaving it bankrupt and when two failed harvests in a row accompanied by two devasting winters hit in a row France did not have the money to do much about it, leading directly to the French Revolution.
Kind of ironic America had a revolution to avoid paying their taxes, then wrecked France by refusing to pay the debts they owed. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Damn Yanks. Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:14 pm

{{ Yup been dodgy since inception it seems! More seriously the other thing that struck me about it is its often represented as a Commmoners revolution, given the revolutionaries called themselves that, but in fact it was a revolution of the upper middle classes, led by scientists, doctors, lawyers and the like. It seems this was an inspiration for Orwell in writing 1984 -

'There have been three kinds of people in the world, the High, the Middle, and the Low....the aims of these three groups are entirely irreconcilable. The aim of the High is to remain where they are. The aim of the Middle is to change places with the High. The aim of the Low...is to abolish all distinctions and create a society in which all men shall be equal...For long periods the High seem to be secure in power...but sooner or later there always comes a moment when they lose...they are then overthrown by the Middle, who enlist the Low on their side by pretending to them that they are fighting for Liberty and Justice. As soon as they have reached their objective, the Middle thrust the Low back into their old servitude, and themselves become the High. Presently a new Middle group splits off from one of the other groups, or from both of them, and the struggle begins all over again.' }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Weren't many of the scientists and doctors sent to the Guillotine? Or are those we here about (like Lavosier) actually upper class?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:10 pm

{{ The revoltuion eventually turned on itself, its original leaders and those who started the head chopping were eventually accused of being dictators themselves and so sent to have their heads chopped off. Then once all the head chopping got out of control and thousands had been to the block mainlyon ridiculousor spurious charges all the other European countries decided enough was enough and threatened war on all sides. That brought the chopping to an end, and four yearslater in a bit France tends to airbrush out, they put a King back in charge for fifteen years and then Napolean came along and took over and called himself an Emperor instead so no one would notice he was acting just like a King and France was yet again being run by one person. You couldnt make it up. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:26 pm

{{ Saw this earlier on the subject, the ever watchable Lucy Worsely's take on it, though its focus is Marie Antoinette it covers pretty much everything that came up in the piece I was reading. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:31 pm

I love Lucy, she is so watchable, and nicely dressed too. I love her style. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next