Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Ringdrotten
malickfan
18 posters

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 am

The waning crescent moon has been awfully chummy with some planets in the early morning over here. There's Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn all lined up in a row, and as the moon becomes more of a crescent it's sinking down past them this week.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:24 am

Everybody grab holt of something - the combined gravity's gonna pull us all off!  affraid

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 am

Hee hee Smile yes, we can see Jupiter & Venus with the moon here also. Its lovely that we've had clear skies, & at last, seen lots of beautiful stars twinkling away instead of a dark grey blanket of nothingness.

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 am

I can see Uranus.

(sorry I couldn't resist. Laughing )
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Moon

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Laughing

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:06 am

:facepalm:

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 UJpDi Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 am

That's in the evening, actually.

You child.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 am

{{ "There's no point in being a grownup if you can't be childish sometimes."- The Doctor
Good advice I say. Nod }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Wink true that.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:43 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Been there, done that. What's the point this time? If there was a clear reason I'd be all for it. Otherwise it's billions of dollars spent just for show.

After years of hearing Trump speak it's like a cool breeze to hear Pence speak. Not that there's much I like about the guy, but at least he has a skill set.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:16 am

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:15 pm

I must protest at calling photons a pure packet of energy.  Energy is not "stuff", it's a book-keeping device.  A photon is not any more pure energy than any bit of mass would be, or a gravity wave.  All these things have specific properties and can do various things, constrained by the book keeping of conservation of energy.

It's like saying snow is made up of the pure white.  The whiteness is a property, it only takes material form in a poetical sense.  Snow is frozen water. Or to put it more directly saying a photon is pure energy is like saying the blast you get from a furnace is pure temperature. Nothing is made of temperature; it's a property that describes how fast molecules are moving at random.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:15 pm

halfwise wrote:Been there, done that.  What's the point this time?  If there was a clear reason I'd be all for it.  Otherwise it's billions of dollars spent just for show.

After years of hearing Trump speak it's like a cool breeze to hear Pence speak.  Not that there's much I like about the guy, but at least he has a skill set.

I thought the original point was to be a proving ground for the Mars mission as they as developing a lot of new technology. Also with a mind to set up a permanent presence that would be used to help future deeper space missions.

If Trump or Pence are saying it probably more likely because China and India are starting to do things in space!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Lancebloke wrote: If Trump or Pence are saying it probably more likely because China and India are starting to do things in space!

No doubt! That's always the primary reason for doing such things. Nod
The only reason we went to the moon in the first place was after Kennedy threw down the gauntlet during the "Space Race" with USSR (an outgrowth of the "Arms Race" which was piling up nuclear missiles and silos throughout both our countries at the time.)  
All things considered, it's probably safer here on Earth if we fight our wars through proxy races off the planet than through arms races here at home.... Suspect

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 UJpDi Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 16 Mumbea10
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27 pm

We went to the moon the first time to prove we can do a hard thing when others couldn't.

But that's been proven in this case. If we were going to put a colony there to prove that such a thing could be nearly self sufficient, I'd be supportive. If the current statement mentioned a stepping stone to Mars, I'd be supportive. If we were going to prove that it could be done by free enterprise, I'd be supportive. For just about any decent reason I'd be supportive, but we are given no reason.

Trump originally wanted to send men to Mars, but I have to believe he was told it was too hard (he actually listened?). So instead we're doing something we've done before just to show we haven't totally lost it. Not good enough.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:46 pm

halfwise wrote:We went to the moon the first time to prove we can do a hard thing when others couldn't.

While I can't argue with that, I remember as a kid the news reporters and politicians in the 60's were constantly hammering on the point that "We've got to get to the Moon before the Russians so they don't build a Moonbase first!" Even as a 1st grader I knew that! Nod

As I think about it now, it wasn't that much different from the modern rhetoric of building a boarder wall before we're invaded.
And if you look at what was spent on the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs (in current dollars) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA we could probably have built something like 20 to 50 boarder walls back then. More if we outsourced the construction!
But it was the 1960's and I guess our priorities were different back then..... cyclops

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:22 pm

In the 1960s the 'drug war' hadn't created mega drug cartels and Mexico was a nice neighbour.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:09 pm

Yep, not only were drug cartels created by our War on Drugs, but like any war, millions of economic refugees were created. We can't seem to remember that. And we've always got some kind of war going, which not only justifies developing new technologies, but gives us a place to test them.  

1960's = Vietnam / "Space Race"
1970's = "War on Drugs" (...still ongoing...)
1980's = Strategic Defense Initiative (aka "Star Wars")
1990's = 1st Gulf War (with first use of satellite-based GPS cruise missiles etc.)
2000's = 2nd Gulf War (satellite based drones etc ...still ongoing...)

And people wonder why there are so many refugees in the world.... Suspect

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm

We won the war on tobacco, and NOT by making it illegal. I think part of the problem with drugs is that it happens mainly in private, so the social pressures that drove down smoking and drunk driving are less in force.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:31 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 am

Was doing a bit of telescoping last night.

For anyone that thinks this stuff is hard to do, I have a relatively cheap telescope (about £175) and a couple of eye pieces (about another £50) and last night I could see Jupiter, some of the more defined cloud bands, 3 if its moons and Saturn with it rings very clearly... all from a back garden with the brightest fucking light next door!

It's pretty incredible to see for yourself and would highly recommend!!!

Other highlights I have found so far (not last night) include the Orion nebula, the Pleiades star cluster and the faint galactic bubble of the Andromeda galaxy!!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:26 am

I got an app on my phone. You point it at the night sky and it tells you everything. Names of stars, planets, constellations. Its great.

SkyView

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/skyview-lite/id413936865

https://www.google.com/search?q=sky+view+app&oq=sky+view+app&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.11846j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:13 am

That's what I have been using too!

Just make sure to calibrate your phone when using otherwise it lies to you!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next