halfwise
Eldorion
Bluebottle
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
20 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 32 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Fingers crossed. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 32 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Can you lick science?

Genetics: Do not. Unless cheek swabs?

Chemistry: NO!!!!! DO NOT!!!!!!

Archaeology: Perhaps. But might be human bone.

Geology: Sometimes needed, sometimes dangerous

Psychology: Best not.

Physics: ????????? How??????

Zoology: In zoology, science licks you.

Anthropology: Maybe ask first.

Herpetology: bad plan bad plan BAD PLAN

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:33 pm

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/30/peeple-app

Co-founders Julia Cordray and Nicole McCullough insist that the app exists to promote good feeling among people, and that Peeple is not a bullying platform. “As two empathetic female entrepreneurs in the tech space, we want to spread love and positivity,” Cordray told The Washington Post. “We want to operate with thoughtfulness.”

Yeah effing right! If there's one thing I've ever learned from women, it's that a good few never say what they mean.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Now careful there Bungo- you cant go about saying things like that! pale Sofa They might not always say what they mean but they always mean what they do! pale

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Ive lost me post ! Praps i pressed the wrong button Suspect
I did say that I trust women less than men, & that I always say what I mean & mean what I say. Nod

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 32 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 32 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:19 pm

My jaw dropped, that is a bully & backstabber app no matter how you sugar coat it. It's sick. I give it zero stars and a whole lot of f's. Mad

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:26 pm

From my own experience, outside of romantic which is not a fair assessment I feel, mainly from 20 years working in a female dominated environment, I'd say women are no more or less cruel than men they just go about it very differently. And there is a definite constant jostling for position- though by what rules the positions are worked out or what they actually are I've never worked out.
Its much more complex and much less direct in comparison to men, and it tends to involve a lot of 'feeling out' of people's thoughts or feelings through leading or probing questions or seemingly innocent remarks designed to draw something out- who is on what side, what are they willing to say about a person ect.
I carefully avoid getting drawn in, as a man I am perfectly aware just how far out of my depth I would be just trying to stand my ground in female combat rules, they'd make mincemeat of me and I wouldn't even ever be really sure how! Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:46 pm

When I was working one of my summer camps, there were two male teachers - one of whom treated the kids militaristically, and the other who was getting increasingly fed up that the kids weren't having their proper summer camp experience because they were being treated to a boot camp experience by the first guy.

At one point the summer camp guy let the boot camp guy have it right out in the hallway in front of the kids.  Just lit into him.  The camp director (a woman) called them into the office, and frantically called me in to mediate.  When I arrived I heard the story and immediately told them I needed them both in the classroom, not sitting stewing at each other in the office.  We'd deal with this after the day was over.

They met later and the military guy basically said "yeah, you're right, I'm being too negative."   The next week they were getting along fine, joking with each other.

The camp director couldn't fathom it.  She said if it was two women, they'd be enemies for life, and any appearance of reconciliation would be distrusted as a trick.

But that's what men are: we won't talk about feelings; instead we let the stupidness grow and finally blow up - then all is made clear in a big mushroom cloud and it's over.  Simple souls, really.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:02 pm

exactly. men can punch each others faces off and half an hour later they are best buddies all forgotten. women on the other hand NEVER FORGET and will make each others lives a misery with the most vicious back stabbing, bitchery and general psychological shenanigans. An office full of women is hell on earth. I am more like a man in that respect, only with less punching faces off. much as I would like to punch peoples faces off. I have an explosive temper, do lots of shouting and swearing, and then ten minutes later its all over and forgotten. I don't hold grudges.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Ah. That's why you haven't killed Petty yet.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: women on the other hand NEVER FORGET and will make each others lives a misery with the most vicious back stabbing, bitchery and general psychological shenanigans.

And now they'll rate people on a mobile app. Think about how passive aggressive that is.

Seriously, rating people's worth on a mobile app. What the fuck is this? It's like the creators of it are perpetually stuck in middle school/high school.

Rolling Eyes Mad

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:26 am

halfwise wrote:Ah.  That's why you haven't killed Petty yet.

Handbag I still would like to punch him
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:05 am

So Figgy is a man because she gets over things. Halfie is woman, gossiping about coworkers at camp and the inapt leader would couldn't solve a conflict.

I have no doubt the peeple people might actually think they have made a good, useful gadget. And that is more about empathy, putting yourself in someone elses shoes and realizing what you actions can lead to. Generally empathy and understanding is typical woman traits, but here they are just evil gossiping women rather than acting like cold, calculating men.

Think about what you say and how you say it. All of you.

</Mom-mode>

((This might be slightly coloured by me trying to get the kids out the door while writing. Though this type of generalization annoys me. I've stopped saying I'm more like a man to not be equalled with the gossip drama queen. But I am not a man, I'm just not like those women. ))

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:41 pm

I think the only reason women create atmospheres of psychological bullying in offices is because women don't have a healthy outlet for anger. theres nothing as cathartic as a punch -up or a shouting match. it lets out the bile and then it can heal. women don't have the upper body strength to punch so they channel their anger inwards and it festers. also woman have been told for centuries that displays of anger and shouting is not feminine, its not ladylike and its somehow abnormal. Freud would probably say female anger is due to dick envy or something when really its because your partner leaves pubes in the shower for the millionth time and you cant take it anymore without  spontaneous combustion.

Extremely Crabbit
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:04 pm

I have no idea how it is now but when I was a kid, as a bioy this sort of thing was part of growing up- particularly between the ages of about 5 and 12.
You'd get into some argument or stupidity with someone, it would eventually get to the point where one would 'claim' the other- getting claimed basically means 'later after school you and I are meeting up to sort this out physically'. By which time the whole school would know about it and there would be an anticipatory crowd building up for the event.
You'd then have the fight- and no one would get seriously hurt, you are looking to give out a black eye, some thick ears and maybe a broken nose at worst, mainly an acknowledgement of defeat, not to seriously hurt, and mates and friends would step in if someone looked like they were going to far.
But the crucial bit was at the end, once there was a clear winner the two combatants would shake hands, usually with the winner saying something along the lines of "so we're sorted?' or '"so that's everything ok?" acceptance of which would generally end the matter and the two would be back playing football together the next day.

I think that's the basic difference in how women treat other women and men treat other men- with males it really is much more straight forward in general. And once a thing is 'settled' or 'decided' between the two they can either part ways and simply stay out of each others way and no more comes of it, or continue the friendship with the matter considered settled (I've done both more than once in my lifetime).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:34 pm

If you had said some men and some women I don't think anyone would have denied there might be some merit to what you say. I agree with Amarië though, you first and foremost have to treat people like individuals, because.. they are.

There might obviously be some social conventions that shape the way we treat each other, and the physical difference of being jacked up on either testosterone or estrogen might also merit some differences in how people act, but on the whole people are still people.. as in different. And completely irrespective of their gender.

I think there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:04 pm

If you two had said the same things we'd be jumping on you the same way.

When you are babies you don't know there's a difference between male and female. When you are 11 years old the gulf seems unbridgeable. When you reach your early 20s you start to think there's no difference at all. Then in your 40's you've digested the similarities so strongly that the few differences become clearer.

There's not that much difference ... which makes it that much funnier when the stereotypes actually do manifest themselves.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: also woman have been told for centuries that displays of anger and shouting is not feminine, its not ladylike and its somehow abnormal.

If anybody had ever told that to any of the women in my family, they'd have gotten an earful Twisted Evil

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:45 pm

Bluebottle wrote:If you had said some men and some women I don't think anyone would have denied there might be some merit to what you say. I agree with Amarië though, you first and foremost have to treat people like individuals, because.. they are.

There might obviously be some social conventions that shape the way we treat each other, and the physical difference of being jacked up on either testosterone or estrogen might also merit some differences in how people act, but on the whole people are still people.. as in different. And completely irrespective of their gender.

I think there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here..

firstly, we are conditioned from birth to act in stereotypical gendered ways which plays out in the way we confront anger. boys are allowed an outlet for anger, girls are not. its very simple. its been like this for centuries and no amount of post modern politically correct revisionism can change it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I think I acknowledged that. I just think that it's kind of the problem. I like to try, although I might very well fail, to treat people as individuals. And I don't feel the gender generalizations are a good thing. Because they, as Amarië and others have pointed out, are not necessarily descriptive of reality, and I think they very easily can become self-fulfilling.

That doesn't mean I don't realize that they exist, that they to a large degree is our own social construction, and, as you say, that they can be problematic.

I just don't find them very helpful.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:34 pm

who does Shrugging people still give pink toys to girls and blue to boys, theres no escape.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Well, you have to start somewhere. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:08 pm

I think it's a worthy cause to fight the gender divide from an early age. We've only progressed partway: as I've said before, any high school physics teacher will tell you the girls are at least as good and even outshine the boys on average; yet they choose not to go into technical fields. We've gotten the intellectual development where we want it to be, but still not the culture.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 32 Tumblr_nvmgn76xzf1sbub06o1_500

Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:54 pm

that sums up quite a few people ! me included ! Very Happy

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 32 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 32 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum