Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
Bluebottle
malickfan
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

How were you introduced to Tolkien?

How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting105%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 5% 
[ 1 ]
How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting1050%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 50% 
[ 11 ]
How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting100%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 0% 
[ 0 ]
How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting1014%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 14% 
[ 3 ]
How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting109%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 9% 
[ 2 ]
How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting105%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 5% 
[ 1 ]
How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting109%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 9% 
[ 2 ]
How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting100%How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Voting10 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 22

How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Empty Re: How were you introduced to Tolkien?

Post by Orwell Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I am of the opinion he wouldn't have been as sniffy as his son about PJ and LOTR.

If it's at all possible to be more sniffy, I think he would have been more sniffy. From what I know of Tolkien by reading his works, and from what I've read by researchers about him, I don't think there is any way he would have approved of what PJ has done. Though, we never hear about Christopher's total view. There may have been bits he thought were okay, just like I do. Tolkien may have thought some bits were okay too, at least, acceptable to some degree. But overall he'd have been sniffy - very sniffy I'd hazard - hugely disappointed with what was done with his life long love. Smile 

The other side of the coin is that a film maker will never ever stay very Faithful to a book, even if they could. Film makers always seem to be determined to put their vision forward and add their own creative bits, to make sure their stamp is on the story to ensure that viewers know it's their story now, they bought it, after all. When it comes to PJ you either (overall) respect what he's done or you are forever sniffy about it. Call me Mr a Sniffy!  Very Happy

None of what I say suggests that people aren't allowed to love the films for themselves. Some love both books and films. Some would never  have enjoyed the books and won't ever read them. Some feel about the films like Tolkien would have. Facts are, however, he sold the rights after all, and so realistically his vision means nothing in the end.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

How were you introduced to Tolkien? - Page 4 Empty Re: How were you introduced to Tolkien?

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 pm

I cant see how he could be disappointed with LOTR but that's just my opinion. and I cant see how his son is sniffy about it either. it was remarkably faithful considering.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I cant see how he could be disappointed with LOTR but that's just my opinion. and I cant see how his son is sniffy about it either. it was remarkably faithful considering.

I wouldn't want to speak for either of them, but the way I see it, both J.R.R and C.T were middle class literary scholars who spent almost their entire lives involved with the books as either author, editor or literary caretaker, they are unlikable to be the target audience for a fantasy blockbuster, and understandably have a massive emotional attachment to the source material, so they are unlikely to be the best candidates to offer a balanced opinion of an adaptation by fan in which they had no say.

But I agree with Orwell overall, everything I've read about Tolkien in his letters, biographies, literary criticism or comments by family members does seem to indicate he wouldn't have been overly pleased with the final product. Simon Tolkien had a interesting point of view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCEqQV5eIjk

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 pm

He very much liked the cycle of songs by Donald Swann, which surprised me because I felt they were too much in the German lieder tradition, and didn't sound like middle earth to me at all.

I think he would have liked bits and pieces of Jackson's LotR, but been infuriated by about half of it. He was very particular.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4