halfwise
bungobaggins
Orwell
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Art of Survivaling Empty Art of Survivaling

Post by Orwell Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:08 am

I have been having lots of thoughts about Myself and the Universe - which, according to Existentialists, is the same thing - though I might be confusing Existentialists with Rosicrucians or some other arcane group. Anyway, to cut to the quick, I have been contemplating the the Art of Survivaling, BUT instead of merely sitting in my armchair talking about it, I thought I might offer a more positive contribution to Actual Ongoing Existence by making a few videos (on mobile phone) on how I am single handedly saving the Universe in my own backyard even as we speak by acting locally while thinking Universally. I will, of course, attempt to explain things shallowly so that you can all understand what I'm saying even with your limited intelligences. Stay tuned!  Nod

Caveat: I might lose interest in Edifying you all in the Art of Survivaling - me being more a Poet than a Pragmatist and Practitioner, except on Thursdays - so don't sit around too long with baited breaths waiting for me to make the first 'Ärt of Survivaling' video - it might not happen. Be mindful - always! - that there are no Sureties in life.  Very Happy

Last edited by Orwell on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Art of Survivaling Empty Re: Art of Survivaling

Post by Orwell Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:55 am

Introduction to Survivaling

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:39 am

Looking forward to more. Thumbs Up

Move over Bear Grylls. {{{Just don't tell Ringo. Razz }}}

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 am

Ringo may be happy scrounging around the wilds eating roots and leaves but I'm far more civilized than that.  Very Happy 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Divert a pipe from the necessary room to one of 'em mulch heaps and you'll be even further off the grid.  Nod

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Good on ya Orwell  Very Happy 
And dont use water from the washing machine tho, plants dont like it  Wink

Art of Survivaling Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Art of Survivaling Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 pm

cheers sunny flower  I like it, whats a chuckie house? is it hens?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:35 am

I thought it sounded like chock-house, but who knows!
Nice layout Orwell.

Just for the record, I should count as a "good Forumshire person" as well, because I've been helping my family do that sort of thing my whole life! Smile
Of course we have goats and chickens, so there's unlimited fertilizer right there.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:19 am

I knew you for a pack of Greenies!  Very Happy 

It's chooks - as in chickens. I just got six Newbies - peep! peep! peep! - to go with the two surviving old chooks I have. (Chook rhymes with book btw).

Grey water goes to our ornamentals already, Azriel. The heavy stuff still goes by way of the sewerage system. (Maybe down the track we could go the composting toilet way... but that might be a Green-too-far at this stage -- especially for the Missus).  

So you're family are Survivalists too, Forest. Explains your New Age name. (And there's me thinking you were an Ent. Silly ol' me.) {{{I saw a Youtube clip on using leafmold as a soil amendment on a Tedx talk, Forest. Got me wondering if I could use suitable deep rooted deciduous trees to supply biomass (carbon material) instead of imported straw into the chook house (hen house, that is). That has to be a down-the-track thing, of course, as my current number of deciduous trees is small and the one's I plant will clearly take some time to drop enough leaves in Autumn to supply my chook litter/vegetable garden needs. I am using all the usual green stuff, grass clippings etcetera in my compost bin already. Should end up a rich mix, I hope.}}}  

I'm using the term Survvalist btw so I don't seem to be siding with the Biodynamics, Permaculturists, Organics, Biodiversarists, Sustainabilitists, Naturalists --- I check them all out but don't include myself in their Cults. I even listen to practical people like David H... You know, the ones who actually make money by doing it rather than teaching their Conceptual Frameworks, which, unfortunately, most of those Green Cultists seem to do for a living -- Eru Bless 'em though, they're on the right track methinks. {{I'm also using the terms Survivalist and Survivaling because I'm a smart arse - but I guess you guys already knew that!  Very Happy }}}

Me - I guess I'm semi-practical though loving all the Ecolgical-Farming Theory stuff. I'm also a trial and error sort. My cranberries - for example - have spent time in my Aquaponics grow bed, and then in a bathtub with soil (which is now a pond) and now are back in pots while I contemplate what next to do.   Very Happy 

I'm going for big vegetable beds at moment (while still dallying with other experimenal stuff). I'm thinking along the lines of SPIN Farming at the moment  --- which we called (small scale) Market Gardening at one time.  Very Happy  In fact, the Chinese did it last century during the Gold Rush in Bendigo --selling vegetables while most of the Miners went from bad to worse. Though SPIN sounds very Conceptually Modern and Businesslike. SPIN equals Small Plot Intensive Farming, in case any of you haven't heard of it. It has the bonus (in my opinion) of actually having a viable business model behind it. (Though I suspect there is still more money in teaching it than doing it! The Jury is out  feel.}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:53 am

Forest Shepherd wrote: Of course we have goats and chickens, so there's unlimited fertilizer right there.

My Missus wants a Pygmy Goat. I said she couldn't have one, for while they might be cute, they're not practical and have no place in a Survivalist Future.

Art of Survivaling <a href=Art of Survivaling PygmyGoat" />

Last edited by Orwell on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:56 am

My grandfather is a retired farmer. They used to have all sorts of animals long before I was born, but ever since I can remember he only farmed corn and soybeans (he farmed for a major canning company, they never distributed anything directly from the farm). He doesn't harvest the field next to his house anymore, but he does maintain a sizable garden on his property. I really admire the people who have the "green thumb" and are able to do this stuff. The past couple years I have been wishing I had grown up on a farm, it would have been a rewarding experience to grow your own food and know where it comes from. I don't know much about farming, but I do find it very interesting. Nod

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:05 am

I have little idea either. I once owned a Plant Nursery -and promptly lost all my money due to my patent lack of Botanical and Business acumen. I've only got back into gardening in the last few years. I dream of growing most of my food - an old dream revisited - and now I'm determined to do it - and maybe make a part time living from some aspect of it. I'm a born and bred city slicker - well, suburbanite - but I would like to be a proper Homesteader before too long. (Livestock, of course, will not go beyond poultry methinks). I'm thinking of growing Heirloom variety vegetables as a selling point, but also grow a few novelty type vegetables (at least, novelty as far as we Redneck Bendigonians go), like Sacred Lotus and Duck Potatoes - aquatic vegetables that is. The Duck Potatoes will go in shallow ponds I plan to create - it's on my list of things to do before I die.  Very Happy 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:13 am

Hey Bungo, a thought. Buy a few pots and try growing a few vegies or herbs*. Green Thumb business is bogus. Anyone can grow plants. It's all trial and error (and fun).  Very Happy 

{{{*If you're worried about over-watering, buy self-watering pots. There you go. All you need to know}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:52 am

i want pygme goats! so cuuute!
i like ur garden Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am

the Chinese did it last century during the Gold Rush in Bendigo --selling vegetables while most of the Miners went from bad to worse.- Orwell

During the gold rush the people who made the most money were selling the shovels- true story.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Orwell is doing 'The Good Life' its great stuff, my ancestors up to my grandparents were all farmers, and I grew up partly on their farm, the hunt used to meet at my aunties house, but I rebelled against it I hate killing for sport, I am totally townified now and wouldnt last two minutes without shops. It must be very satisfying growing all your own produce, healthy too. I love your vids Orwell its lovely seeing your land, its on the other side of the world and its intriguing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:43 pm

I have tatties!!  cheers (potato's to the non-Scots) was harvest day today from the veggie patch and a mild winter followed by the second warmest summer on record here have produced some right crackers this years- Ill try to get a pic of them.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm using the term Survvalist btw so I don't seem to be siding with the Biodynamics, Permaculturists, Organics, Biodiversarists, Sustainabilitists, Naturalists --- I check them all out but don't include myself in their Cults.

Speaking of cults, I'm not sure if you are aware of the connotations of the word "survivalist" in the good ole red-blooded red-necked US of A, Orwell.

'Round here the survivalist expect the whole distribution system will go belly up during our lifetime, and they plan to be sitting pretty when it does. But they also expect other people who were less wise will try to move in and acquire some of the goods for their own selves. So a Yankee style 'survivalist' is likely to be stocking up on all sorts of fire-arms and ammo, not to mention land mines and 'bob war'. Nice people, most of them, but they are planning to turn mighty nasty if they have to.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:13 pm

so no going round to ask for some sugar then?  Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:13 pm

If you've got a sack of potatoes or a box of ammo to trade, showing you can pull your own weight, I'm sure they'd be right glad to see you.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:47 pm

um I have got some nice slingbacks
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:31 pm

Had to google it. Don't think the survivalist types will be impressed.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:14 am

No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 am

halfwise wrote: 'Round here the survivalist expect the whole distribution system will go belly up during our lifetime, and they plan to be sitting pretty when it does.  But they also expect other people who were less wise will try to move in and acquire some of the goods for their own selves.  So a Yankee style 'survivalist' is likely to be stocking up on all sorts of fire-arms and ammo, not to mention land mines and 'bob war'.   Nice people, most of them, but they are planning to turn mighty nasty if they have to.

You should really quote me fully, Halfy. See highlighted bit below.   cyclops 

Orwell wrote:I'm using the term Survvalist btw so I don't seem to be siding with the Biodynamics, Permaculturists, Organics, Biodiversarists, Sustainabilitists, Naturalists --- I check them all out but don't include myself in their Cults. I even listen to practical people like David H... You know, the ones who actually make money by doing it rather than teaching their Conceptual Frameworks, which, unfortunately, most of those Green Cultists seem to do for a living -- Eru Bless 'em though, they're on the right track methinks. {{I'm also using the terms Survivalist and Survivaling because I'm a smart arse - but I guess you guys already knew that!}}}

Actually, I was thinking of Rednecks all the time --- but not too obviously... in case they take a dislike to me. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:00 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Orwell is doing 'The Good Life' its great stuff, my ancestors up to my grandparents were all farmers, and I grew up partly on their farm, the hunt used to meet at my aunties house, but I rebelled against it  I hate killing for sport, I am totally townified now and wouldnt last two minutes without shops. It must be very satisfying growing all your own produce, healthy too. I love your vids Orwell its lovely seeing your land, its on the other side of the world and its intriguing.

You know me too well, Julia.  Very Happy  {({I'm discussing with Missus about me resigning from my day job, actually. Pay off the house, grow and sell vegetables, mow lawns maybe...}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum