Norc
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

DRAGONS - Page 2 Empty Re: DRAGONS

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
"Dragon, this creature above all others has haunted our imagination..."

Well hold on now, we can't forget about the legendary Bearsharktopus!

DRAGONS - Page 2 1167402-bearsharktopus_bearsharktopus_demotivational_poster_1253670891

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 08, 2014 11:54 pm

that just ain't right.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 09, 2014 12:39 am

No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 09, 2014 12:47 am

bungobaggins wrote:DRAGONS - Page 2 Jennifer-lawrence-10

Now you've reminded me of our dear lost Ally  Sad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 09, 2014 3:49 am

azriel wrote:I remember seeing a program like that ? I remember thinking "why not?", there's been all sorts of Dinosaurs discovered, even  now scientists are unearthing strange new fossils, so why could there not be Dragons ?

I saw that dragon "documentary" when I was like 10 or 11 and thought it was real at first. I knew nothing about it going on so I was like ... waaaaaaait a minute. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 09, 2014 3:49 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Now you've reminded me of our dear lost Ally  Sad 

Where is Ally, anyway? Sad I hope she's doing okay.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 09, 2014 4:15 am

Me too, Forumshire misses her, she was in many ways for me the very essence of the Spirit of Forumshire. I do hope she returns one day.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 09, 2014 4:21 am

It really blows not having her here. No
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Oh, dragons.  Razz 

DRAGONS - Page 2 Tumblr_n1dh8aVODr1s4409eo1_500
DRAGONS - Page 2 Tumblr_n1dh8aVODr1s4409eo2_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 15, 2014 4:05 pm

I know this is off topic, but the Bilbo Smaug conversation in the Hobbit is amazing. Easily one of the best parts of the book.

JRR Tolkien wrote:“Well, thief! I smell you and I feel your air. I hear your 'breath. Come along! Help yourself again, there is plenty and to spare!”

But Bilbo was not quite so unlearned in dragon-lore as all that, and if Smaug hoped to get him to come nearer so easily he was disappointed.

“No thank you, O Smaug the. Tremendous!” he replied. “I did not come for presents. I only wished to have a look at you and see if you were truly as great as tales say. I did not believe them.”

“Do you now?” said the dragon somewhat flattered, even though he did not believe a word of it.

“Truly songs and tales fall utterly short of the reality, O Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities,” replied Bilbo.

"You have nice manners for a thief and a liar,” said the dragon. “You seem familiar with my name, but I don't seem to remember smelling you before. Who are you and where do you come from, may I ask?”

“You may indeed! I come from under the hill, and under hills and over the hills my paths led. And through the air, I am he that walks unseen.”

“So I can well believe,” said Smaug, “but that is hardly our usual name.”

“I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I as chosen for the lucky number.”

“Lovely titles!” sneered the dragon. “But lucky numbers don't always come off.”

“I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me.”

“These don't sound so creditable,” scoffed Smaug.

“I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,” went on Bilbo beginning to be pleased with his riddling.

“That's better!” said Smaug. “But don't let your imagination run away with you!”

This of course is theway to talk to dragons, if you don't want to reveal your proper name (which is wise), and don't want to infuriate them by a flat refusal (which is also very wise). No dragon can resist the fascination of riddling talk and of wasting time trying to understand it. There was a lot here which Smaug did not understand at all (though I expect you do, since you know all about Bilbo's adventures to which he was referring), but he thought he understood enough, and he chuckled in his wicked inside.

“I thought so last night,” he smiled to himself. “Lake-men, some nasty scheme of those miserable tub-trading Lake-men, or I'm a lizard. I haven't been down that way for an age and an age; but I will soon alter that!”

“Very well, O Barrel-rider!” he said aloud. “Maybe Barrel was your pony's name; and maybe not, though it was fat enough. You may walk unseen, but you did not walk all the way. Let me tell you I ate six ponies last night and I shall catch and eat all the others before long. In return for the excellent meal I will give you one piece of advice for your good: don't have more to do with dwarves than you can help!”

“Dwarves!” said Bilbo in pretended surprise.

“Don't talk to me!” said Smaug. “I know the smell (and taste) of dwarf-no one better. Don't tell me that I can eat a dwarf-ridden pony and not know it! You'll come to a bad end, if you go with such friends. Thief Barrel-rider. I don't mind if you go back and tell them so from me.”

But he did not tell Bilbo that there was one smell he could not make out at all, hobbit-smell; it was quite outside his experience and puzzled him mightily.

“I suppose you got a fair price for that cup last night?” he went on. “Come now, did you? Nothing at all! Well, that's just like them. And I suppose they are skulking outside, and your job is to do all the dangerous work and get what you can when I'm not looking-for them? And you will get a fair share? Don't you believe it! If you get off alive, you will be lucky.”

Bilbo was now beginning to feel really uncomfort able. Whenever Smaug's roving eye, seeking for him in the shadows, flashed across him, he trembled, and an unaccountable desire seized hold of him to rush out and reveal himself and tell all the truth to Smaug. In fact he was in grievous danger of coming under the dragon-spell. But plucking up courage he spoke again.

“You don't know everything, O Smaug the Mighty,” said he. “Not gold alone brought us hither.”

“Ha! Ha! You admit the 'us',” laughed Smaug. “Why not say 'us fourteen' and be done with it. Mr. Lucky Number? I am pleased to hear that you had other business in these parts besides my gold. In that case you may, perhaps, not altogether waste your time.

“I don't know if it has occurred to you that, even if you could steal the gold bit by bit-a matter of a hundred years or so – you could not get it very far? Not much use on the mountain-side? Not much use in the forest? Bless me! Had you never thought of the catch? A fourteenth share, I suppose, Or something like it, those were the terms, eh? But what about delivery? What about cartage? What about armed guards and tolls?”

And Smaug laughed aloud. He had a wicked and a wily heart, and he knew his guesses werenot far out, though he suspected that the Lake-men were at the back of the plans, and that most of the plunder was meant to stop there in the town by the shore that in his young days had been called Esgaroth.

You will hardly believe it, but poor Bilbo was really very taken aback. So far all his. thoughts and energies had been concentrated on getting to the Mountain and finding the entrance. He had never bothered to wonder how the treasure was to be removed, certainly never how any part of it that might fall to his share was to be brought back all the way to Bag-End Under-Hill.

Now a nasty suspicion began to grow in his mind-had the dwarves forgotten this important point too, or were they laughing in their sleeves at him all the time? That is the effect that dragon-talk has on the inexperienced. Bilbo of course ought to have been on his guard; but Smaug had rather an overwhelming personality.

“I tell you,” he said, in an effort to remain loyal to his friends and to keep his end up, “that gold was only an afterthought with us. We came over hill and under hill, by wave and win, for Revenge. Surely, O Smaug the unassessably wealthy, you must realize that your success has made you some bitter enemies?”

Then Smaug really did laugh-a devastating sound which shook Bilbo to the floor, while far up in the tunnel the dwarves huddled together and imagined that the hobbit had come to a sudden and a nasty end.

“Revenge!” he snorted, and the light of his eyes lit the the hall from floor to ceiling like scarlet lightning. “Revenge! The King under the Mountain is dead and where are hi kin that dare seek revenge? Girion Lord of Dale is dead, and I have eaten his people like a wolf among sheep, and where are his sons' sons that dare approach me? I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong strong. Thief in the Shadows!” he gloated. “My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hu rricane, and my breath death!”

“I have always understood,” said Bilbo in a frightened squeak, “that dragons were softer underneath, especially in the region of the–er–chest; but doubtless one so fortified has thought of that.”

The dragon stopped short in his boasting. “Your information is antiquated,” he snapped. “I am armoured above and below with iron scales and hard gems. No blade can pierce me.”

“I might have guessed it,” said Bilbo. “Truly there can; nowhere be found the equal of Lord Smaug the Impenetrable. What magnificence to possess a waistcoat of fine diamonds!”

“Yes, it is rare and wonderful, indeed,” said Smaug absurdly pleased. He did not know that the hobbit had already caught a glimpse of his peculiar under-covering on his previous visit, and was itching for a closer view for reasons of his own. The dragon rolled over. “Look!” he said. “What do you say to that?”

“Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!” exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: “Old fool! Why there is a large patch in the hollow of his left breast as bare as a snailout of its shell!”

After he had seen that Mr. Baggins' one idea was to get away. “Well, I really must not detain Your Magnificence any longer,” he said, “or keep you from much needed re st. Ponies take some catching, I believe, after a long start. And so do burglars,” he added as a parting shot, as he darted back and fled up the tunnel.

It was an unfortunate remark, for the dragon spouted terrific flames after him, and fast though he sped up the slope, he had not gone nearly far enough to be comfortable before the ghastly head of Smaug was thrust against the opening behind. Luckily the whole head and jaws could not squeeze in, but the nostrils sent forth fire and vapour to pursue him, and he was nearly overcome, and stumbled blindly on in great pain and fear. He had been feeling rather pleased with the cleverness of his conversation with Smaug, but his mistake at the end shook him into better sense.

“Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!” he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb. “You aren't nearly through this adventure yet,” he added, and that was pretty true as well.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 15, 2014 6:13 pm

all right, i've read the book
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Well that's not quite the entire thing Norc.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:05 pm

DRAGONS - Page 2 MEdragons_zps4d3bea41

DRAGONS - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

DRAGONS - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Wonder if they are scaled to each other- if so Ancalagon could eat Smaug like popping pringles.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:11 pm

DRAGONS - Page 2 680px-Tokien_Dragon_Scale_Chart_zps20eb3e69

I found this also, Now, left to peejers & the size he chose for Smaug, if he did the largest dragon on this scale, hed never fit it in on the screen.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:51 pm

Why does Glaurung have no wings?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:02 pm

He's rather lizard-like too.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:27 pm

The lizard-like look fits in with most of the descriptions of Glaurung moving across the ground. Tolkien's own painting of Smaug looks like a lizard with wings. But he has wings.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:00 am

halfwise wrote:Why does Glaurung have no wings?

According to The Silmarillion, the winged dragons only made their first appearance outside of Angband during the War of Wrath.  Clearly a number of them survived the war and escaped to have descendants who would eventually trouble the north of Middle-earth in later Ages.  I don't believe if it's ever specified whether any of the wing-less dragons survived the end of the First Age.  I suppose it's possible that, say, Scatha (slain by Fram, son of Frumgar, an ancestor of Eorl the Young) was wing-less, given how little we know of him, but I've never imagined him as such myself.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Waitaminnit... is the above from some companion book? Now we are putting a version of 'tehta a' (three dots) over the Roman letter a... and i and e too? Even inside o?

I have a vague recollection of Tolkien commenting about this in general, plopping in three dots with respect to something already written in the Roman Alphabet... to make it look (I assume) Tolkien-y.

Drat, I wish I had bookmarked it... if I didn't dream it that is.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Who knows, Elthir O' great one, maybe ? Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm

JRRT also illustrated Glaurung at some early point... although I think he was named Glorund at that point.

Just to seem loremastery after the answer is already given :prof:
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:25 pm

How many letters did he put a little triangle of dots over, though? scratch

{{{Was that even a thing in fantasy/LOTR illustrations before the PJ movies?  I have no idea.}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:43 pm

{{{I don't remember... I seem to remember people trying to use actual Quenya, Sindaring or Beleriand mode.}}}

It's about as accurate as throwing Greek letters over your text because you think they look pretty, or add random, curvy letters into your text.
The triangle dots = the letter/sound a. To me it just shows the illustrators ignorance...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Quite right Amarie.

If Tolkien remarked upon it (again only IIRC) then Jackson wasn't the first person to have done this of course, but anyway he did this in film one (film one out of six), but I think (not positive) it was a least reserved for the Roman A/a at the time -- which doesn't mean it belongs there but it was at least an a.

The Elves used a quicker sign (quicker than three dots) for denoting the vowel a as well, and when writing Quenya sometimes left this vowel out... well not to blather on, but anyway it's a part of the writing systems of Middle-earth (if anyone is wondering), but some are peppering Roman stuff with the three dots (or an 'a tehta')...

... for some sort of 'Tolkieny' look or feel I guess.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum