Back to top Go down

Sherlock - BBC [4] - Page 14 Empty Re: Sherlock - BBC [4]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:59 pm

silent

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Handbag

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Did this become the venting about poor writing thread? Razz

Well, maybe it'll lead to someone returning to reclaim it. Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 pm

RTD and Moffat could have written season 3 of House of Cards!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:15 pm

bungobaggins wrote:RTD and Moffat could have written season 3 of House of Cards!

lol!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:17 pm

I have to say.. I at least like some of Moffats writing.. Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Beside isnt House of Cards linear? Moffat would never write something linear! Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Exactly.. House of Cards makes sense.. Sofa

(Does it? I've only seen the first couple of episodes.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:44 pm

lolnope
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Haha, well if you say so. I'm rather liking the first couple of episodes, but I guess the way you guys talk of season 3 it kind of nosedives.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Wait.. are we slowly but certainly establishing the existance of a general #season3 problem here? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 am

Bluebottle wrote:Haha, well if you say so. I'm rather liking the first couple of episodes, but I guess the way you guys talk of season 3 it kind of nosedives.

I wouldn't say it nosedives.  The show progressively gets more absurd as it goes on, even in the first season, but it's a fun ride.  There is a noticeable uptick in up-its-own-ass-ness in the third season, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:08 am

I have to disagree- I am not a fan of the first two episodes but series 3 in my view gets better as it goes along not worse, or any more absurd than the first two series- there is at least 1 episode in the preceding two series apiece where Id rather watch His Last Vow again than either of them.
If I were to rate the episodes in order of how much I like them it would go-

Scandal In Belgravia, A Study in Pink, The Reichenbach Fall, The Great Game, His Last Vow, The Blind Banker, Empty Hearse, Sign of Three, Hound of the Baskervilles.

I also wonder if the episodes were to be viewed without the prism of fans and tumblr ect if the view it was increasing more up itself would still be felt as strongly.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:34 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I have to disagree- I am not a fan of the first two episodes but series 3 in my view gets better as it goes along not worse, or any more absurd than the first two series- there is at least 1 episode in the preceding two series apiece where Id rather watch His Last Vow again than either of them.

Aren't we talking about House of Cards now?  I thought that's what Blue's post was about, at least, since he mentioned just starting to watch something.  I'm sure he's seen Sherlock S3 already. scratch Anyway, that's what my last post was about.

I also wonder if the episodes were to be viewed without the prism of fans and tumblr ect if the view it was increasing more up itself would still be felt as strongly.

You guys are the only ones I discuss Sherlock with other than my family and a few people at work, most of whom aren't really into fan culture.  It was kinda hard to ignore the tumblr elements in S3 though, since like half of the first two episodes was dedicated to trolling that part of the fandom (yes, this is an exaggeration).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:00 am

Aren't we talking about House of Cards now?- Eldo

Are we? scratch

'It was kinda hard to ignore the tumblr elements in S3 though'- Eldo

Thats kind of my point- was it more annoying because you knew thats what it was aimed at or inspired at or addressing?
I have noticed in a 'very unscientific poll of folks I know Ive talked to about Sherlock', that those who who watch TV but dont go online in the way folks here do (yes such folk still exist) that they seem to have a more positive view of series 3 than those I know who see it as appealing, playing to the tumblr gallery.
Just curious if maybe ignorance is bliss in this case.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:17 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Are we? scratch

Well there were several posts about HOC directly preceding mine on this page. Fuck if I know though. Shrugging

Thats kind of my point- was it more annoying because you knew thats what it was aimed at or inspired at or addressing?
I have noticed in a 'very unscientific poll of folks I know Ive talked to about Sherlock', that those who who watch TV but dont go online in the way folks here do (yes such folk still exist) that they seem to have a more positive view of series 3 than those I know who see it as appealing, playing to the tumblr gallery.

I think I see your point. I can only speak anecdotally myself, but my mom, who really dug the first two seasons after I showed them to her, actually refused to watch the final episode of season three because she disliked the first two so much. I told her the finale was a lot better and tried to convince her to give it a go, but she wasn't having any of it. I do think that the episodes were pretty uninspired in general, but I suppose that had I not been aware of the creators' relationship with their tumblr fans that part in particular probably wouldn't have stood out as jarringly to me.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Eldorion wrote:Aren't we talking about House of Cards now?

Are we? scratch

Well there were several posts about HOC directly preceding mine on this page.  Fuck if I know though. Shrugging

Errr.. yes. What television show are we talking about? scratch (And does it matter? Sofa )

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Waitwaitwait. I got it. This is the Sherlock thread. So, it can't be Sherlock. So, it must be HoCs. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Thats kind of my point- was it more annoying because you knew thats what it was aimed at or inspired at or addressing?

I think I see your point.  I can only speak anecdotally myself, but my mom, who really dug the first two seasons after I showed them to her, actually refused to watch the final episode of season three because she disliked the first two so much.  I told her the finale was a lot better and tried to convince her to give it a go, but she wasn't having any of it.  I do think that the episodes were pretty uninspired in general, but I suppose that had I not been aware of the creators' relationship with their tumblr fans that part in particular probably wouldn't have stood out as jarringly to me.

I find that an interesting thought certainly. But, to go into specifics. I would be interested to hear what parts exactly would you guys would put down as tumblr pandering?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I find that an interesting thought certainly. But, to go into specifics. I would be interested to hear what parts exactly would you guys would put down as tumblr pandering?

All the "fans" in the first episode with their theories about how Sherlock survived and most of the crap in the wedding episode.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Eldorion wrote:You guys are the only ones I discuss Sherlock with other than my family and a few people at work, most of whom aren't really into fan culture. It was kinda hard to ignore the tumblr elements in S3 though, since like half of the first two episodes was dedicated to trolling that part of the fandom (yes, this is an exaggeration).

"I believe in Sherlock Holmes!"

:facepalm:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Sherlock season 3 was a pastiche of season 1 & 2.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:52 pm

There is certainly a strong element of fan service in series 3 opening two episodes (Id count the final part separate from that accusation).
However if you analysis what they have done in terms of the story its the same basic plan as the first two series- both the opening episodes of series 3 are based on genuine Holmes stories intermixed with their own invented material- exactly the same as before.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:04 pm

I'd say, though i have said it before, that the two first episodes suffered as stand alone episodes because they had a lot of their running time taken up by story considerations. Epsiode one handled the aftermath of Reichenbach, episode two had a lot of it's running time taken up by the wedding. Episode three on the other hand was more self contained. Season three as such was more a full arch, and you must see the three episodes more as one than in previous seasons. It's an evolving story, with the climax at the end of the season.

Now that doesn't mean you have to think organizing the season and story like that was a good idea, or that you likede the story in itself. Just that it was different in some ways to previous seasons in other respects than quality. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 41 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 41  Next