48 fps and 3D - is it necessary?

+4
Pettytyrant101
Saradoc
Eldorion
Kafria
8 posters

Go down

48 fps and 3D - is it necessary? Empty 48 fps and 3D - is it necessary?

Post by Kafria Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Following PJ's article about the filming in 3D with 48fps I wondered what peoples thoughts are on this and if it will amke a big difference!

I have to say I have no knowledge of the tech side of films, have never seen a 3D release and have one small screen tv and no intention of getting a monster flat screen and hd anytime soon. These discussions always set me wondering, does it really make a difference to the experience (and yes I do agree simply being in the cinema with the big screen has a big impact on your viewing experience).

The bit that particularly confused me was the talk of cinemas may have 48fps capability by the release date, what happens if they don't?

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

48 fps and 3D - is it necessary? Empty Re: 48 fps and 3D - is it necessary?

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm

3D has always been a let down for me, except for IMAX 3D, but I suspect that has more to do with the IMAX technology, which looks great no matter how many dimensions it is projected in. As for filming in 48 fps, I'm really not at all familiar with that aspect of filming. I assume that if there aren't enough theatres with that capability in time they can just delete every other frame (or something like that) and be able to project at the normal rate. I'm sure Warner Bros. wouldn't have OK'd this if there wasn't a back-up plan.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:53 pm

If the 3D will look better than your average 3D applied to mundane cartoons, then great. I have nothing against the technology - it's so few films I've seen in 3D I've actually enjoyed. Apparently the new Tron movie has good 3D, so it can be done!

Flat-screen TVs etc, do make a difference, but not always a good one. Some TVs I find are too big to enjoy & just strain your eyes! Around 28-32"- the perfect size for a TV!

By the way Kafria, do you mean you have never seen a film in 3D? Because if you haven't that's impressive!

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 pm

I do! Although there is a cinema in the nearest town, it is small and usually inhabited by school kids I know, so I tend not to go (no 3D there either!) This means we travel an hour usually to the cinema so don't go all that often. On the one occasion we went to see something that had a 3D version we opted for normal (price/ timing and nature of the film all playing a role in the decision) so no - i have yet to see a 3d movie! - Oh and I must be a man man as I've never seen Avatar either!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Kafria wrote:Oh and I must be a man man as I've never seen Avatar either!

Somewhere James Cameron is crying tears of pure money. Crying or Very sad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 pm

I know a very little about this, so I dropped by a couple of film maker forums I lurk on (not THAT sort of film Ringdrotten, sit down, what do you think you are, Swedish?).
The general chat on 48fps is that its a good tool, some scenes, those with a lot of action or swift movement basically, benefit from it. But few seem to think its appropriate for an entire film. Rather it should be used more like you would shutter speed or any other camera tool, to create a certain mood or look. It certainly didn't convince me reading the posts that it was a great idea, especially for TH.

On the tv issue I am fortunate enough to have a good one, not huge, 32' LCD. And I could not go back to a tube. Not so much for tv but for film and especially gaming. You would struggle to read text on a xbox360 game on an old TV I should think.

Kafria, the 3D is impressive in Avatar on a techno level, but I found totally useless for improving the awfulness of the film- you will find however some poor souls on here Wink may try to convince you otherwise. 'I'm off to get some unobtantium, bugger for seem reason its quite hard to obtain? scratch Perhaps I should just settle for some impossiblranium instead.'

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 pm

I'e nothing against Cameron, but the saturation and hype this film got irritated me at the time, paticularly the huge devotion it got and the news coverage (so realistic people were treated for depression at having to live in reality?! Shocked )

the writing comment made me smile. It is clear that tv stations are now assuming people have big tvs. The small one at home is lcd, not tube, but 15"(I can't believe I actually just measured it!). It has become noticeably difficult to read the scoreboards on spors events as these have got smaller on the assumption that people have bigger screens and so the writin appears bigger!, I don't find it interfers with my viewing though!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Size of a screen doesn't bother me much, unless its watching films on phones- that is to small. Its definetly a matter of resolution that makes the difference.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Kafria wrote:I'e nothing against Cameron, but the saturation and hype this film got irritated me at the time, paticularly the huge devotion it got and the news coverage (so realistic people were treated for depression at having to live in reality?! Shocked )

I spent a few months on Avatar Forums after the movie came out, and the people complaining about depression were not at all realistic. I eventually left because I couldn't stand the religious and/or masturbatory fanboy obsession and "defense" of the movie and in particular Neytiri. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 pm

"I know a very little about this, so I dropped by a couple of film maker forums I lurk on (not THAT sort of film Ringdrotten, sit down, what do you think you are, Swedish?)"

lol! lol!

"On the tv issue I am fortunate enough to have a good one, not huge, 32' LCD. And I could not go back to a tube. Not so much for tv but for film and especially gaming. You would struggle to read text on a xbox360 game on an old TV I should think."

Used to use an old TV for gaming not too long ago, didn't realise how terrible the TV was until I decided to buy a 32" LCD. Couldn't tell the difference between guys that had blue markers and guys that had red, so I just shot anyone who moved and hoped they were red! Laughing

"Kafria, the 3D is impressive in Avatar on a techno level, but I found totally useless for improving the awfulness of the film- you will find however some poor souls on here Wink may try to convince you otherwise."

Avatar is probably one of the few films that can make me nearly as crabbit as you Laughing

48 fps and 3D - is it necessary? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:38 pm

I think this is the thing that gets me about the quest for movie realism. - I want escapism yes, but I don't want to feel that something is really happening right there and then!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 pm

"I don't want to feel that something is really happening right there and then!"- Kafria

I have given that statement some deep thought and it casts a whole new light on such technology, therefore I have arrived at the conclusion that... I need a cold bath a lie down now. Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Umm....

(no I am not going to ask - safer that way!)

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Ugh, hate 3D! Being a part-time glasses wearer they are extremely hard to position, and as I am compulsive figiter so I end up moving them around all the time!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 pm

"there and then", "figiter", "cold baths" - my mind searhes, but all my thoughts are a-boggle --- whaaaat?

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:53 pm

I hope Star Wars is re-released in 3D!

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun May 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Saradoc wrote:I hope Star Wars is re-released in 3D!

Um, okay.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 08, 2011 11:54 pm

[img]48 fps and 3D - is it necessary? Ad7[/img]

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun May 08, 2011 11:57 pm

lol! lol!

48 fps and 3D - is it necessary? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Thu May 19, 2011 7:14 pm

I like his moustache

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum