Theran Theories - Page 3 Empty Re: Theran Theories

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 am

I'm sure that will be a struggle for you. Rolling Eyes
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Theran Theories - Page 3 Empty atalant.....

Post by halfwise Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Amazing, pages of stuff about an island blowing up in the mediterranean and not a single mention of Atlantis. You folks must know history or something. I thought the Theran explosian was related to the fall of Crete: whole fleet wiped out by a wave and then the Mycenaeans moved in and stomped on them. Or perhaps that was just a theory that the archaeology has disproved.

Personally I like to imagine the island blowing up and a bunch of bronze age stoners sitting around the pond going "Whooaa dude...."
halfwise
halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:58 pm

I heard a theory about Crete along those lines once too, halfwise. I also heard a hypothesis that it was the origin of the Atlantis myth, though I don't know if that is well-substantiated or not.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm

It devasted the coast of Crete and presumably there would have been a lengthy period of weather disturption . The atlantis myth being associated with it is focused on the island of Thera and the city of Akrotiri. Which like Pompey was buried and is therefore well preserved. Crete was the centre of the Minoan civilisation and this wiped it out according to some but others think it struggled on for a while before collapsing and some others thik the Minoans become other mystery folks who pop up in history without an obvious antecede such as the Phonicians.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 pm

halfwise wrote:Amazing, pages of stuff about an island blowing up in the mediterranean and not a single mention of Atlantis. You folks must know history or something. I thought the Theran explosian was related to the fall of Crete: whole fleet wiped out by a wave and then the Mycenaeans moved in and stomped on them. Or perhaps that was just a theory that the archaeology has disproved.

Personally I like to imagine the island blowing up and a bunch of bronze age stoners sitting around the pond going "Whooaa dude...."

Hi Halfwise, welcome. I do believe the Atlantis Myth has been, at the very least, influenced by the Theran eruption. An event of such magnitude would have been a huge event for folk so far away they didn't know what had actually caused disasters in their own lands. Very Happy I suggested Thera as one possible source for the Exodus plagues, water splitting story etc tales. (I think the Exodus stories as a series of different memorable events pasted together). Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Orwell wrote:
halfwise wrote:Amazing, pages of stuff about an island blowing up in the mediterranean and not a single mention of Atlantis. You folks must know history or something. I thought the Theran explosian was related to the fall of Crete: whole fleet wiped out by a wave and then the Mycenaeans moved in and stomped on them. Or perhaps that was just a theory that the archaeology has disproved.

Hi Halfwise, welcome. I do believe the Atlantis Myth has been, at the very least, influenced by the Theran eruption. An event of such magnitude would have been a huge event for folk so far away they didn't know what had actually caused disasters in their own lands. Very Happy I suggested Thera as one possible source for the Exodus plagues, water splitting story etc tales. (I think the Exodus stories as a series of different memorable events pasted together). Very Happy

Pretty certain that it was myself who suggested Thera as one possible source for the Exodus plagues. I think the Exodus stories as a series of different memorable events pasted together! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Theran Theories - Page 3 Empty Theran

Post by leelee Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:It devasted the coast of Crete and presumably there would have been a lengthy period of weather disturption . The atlantis myth being associated with it is focused on the island of Thera and the city of Akrotiri. Which like Pompey was buried and is therefore well preserved. Crete was the centre of the Minoan civilisation and this wiped it out according to some but others think it struggled on for a while before collapsing and some others thik the Minoans become other mystery folks who pop up in history without an obvious antecede such as the Phonicians.

Welcome Halfwise, you are amidst an incredibly amazing group of Hobbity creatures and an aristocratic Queen Elf.

Wow Pretty. I see you lost most of your epidermas from the geyser, but it in no way affected your incredible brain. Oh and I like very much your bed jacket or dressing gown or whatever. You look like a maimed version of Sherlock Holmes.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Ally wrote:Pretty certain that it was myself who suggested Thera as one possible source for the Exodus plagues. I think the Exodus stories as a series of different memorable events pasted together! Very Happy

I guess we must be pasted together on the same page then, Ally. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 pm

leelee wrote:Welcome Halfwise, you are amidst an incredibly amazing group of Hobbity creatures and an aristocratic Queen Elf.

Actually an old friend who we lost at the time of the Troubles, leelee. I saw the name and thought in pasing, is this OUR Halfwise back, but because I was running around Forumshire at the time of my last post on this thread - like a blue arsed fly in fact - that I did not go to the next thought which should have been, it MUST be OUR Halfwise!

But joy-oh-joy - it's great to have him back, what! Very Happy

It's like when Chris63 wandered back in from the wilderness, near naked (though I might be thinking of a previous Avatar) and starving for the kind of company only Forumshirer's can rightly supply! Very Happy {{Mind you, if Chris had wandered in as a naked version of his current Avatar, I would have stood up immediately and paid him even more attention at the time! Very Happy }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:45 am

oh you horrible flirt Mad I can see im going to have trouble with this Dooktor. A firm hand is required I see. Twisted Evil
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 am

Very Happy

With that thought, I can now go off to the physio (for work on my scultpured powerful body Very Happy ) in a most happy mood.

Thanks yet again Forumshirer's! Very Happy {{{(especially you, Mrs Figg I love you ---- but definetly not you, Petty! Mad }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:23 am

What have I said now?! scratch

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archet Bugle Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:23 am

WATCH THIS SPACE Very Happy

{{{That should fool Petty}}}

Last edited by The Archet Bugle on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total
The Archet Bugle
The Archet Bugle
Forumshire's Most Respectable Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 am

You must know by now you don't have to have done anything, Petty. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 am

[quote="Orwell"]
leelee wrote:Welcome Halfwise, you are amidst an incredibly amazing group of Hobbity creatures and an aristocratic Queen Elf.

Actually an old friend who we lost at the time of the Troubles, leelee. I saw the name and thought in pasing, is this OUR Halfwise back, but because I was running around Forumshire at the time of my last post on this thread - like a blue arsed fly in fact - that I did not go to the next thought which should have been, it MUST be OUR Halfwise!

But joy-oh-joy - it's great to have him back, what! Very Happy

It's like when Chris63 wandered back in from the wilderness, near naked (though I might be thinking of a previous Avatar) and starving for the kind of company only Forumshirer's can rightly supply! Very Happy {{Mind you, if Chris had wandered in as a naked version of his current Avatar, I would have stood up immediately and paid him even more attention at the time! Very Happy }}} [/quote

How wonderful. i cannot bear to lose people you care for in real life or on the net. It hurts and you wonder for ever after what has become of this one or that one that you had a friendship with. Well then I am very happy for you all that you have found one another again. Yesterday I went into the forums to bring back some older threads and you were the last person to post on it Orwell. Good comment.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:50 am

I hope i wasnt stood to attention while you were picturing me naked Laughing
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 am

Oh youuuu... Embarassed Look I'm blushin'... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Haha, great reply Chris! Razz

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:21 am

Ally wrote:Haha, great reply Chris! Razz

Ally , the way you give your answers I always and I mean always think of you as another Einstein. You must have an I.Q of three hundred at least. Do you ever get bored with the likes of me, ever want to vomit or anything like that after you read my comments. Embarassed I am so amazed how you can say so very very much with a simple word or two.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 am

Funny thing, lately Ally's comments have made me want to vomit. Very Happy {{{ Twisted Evil }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Theran Theories - Page 3 Empty prodigal one

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:46 am

Orwell said:
"Actually an old friend who we lost at the time of the Troubles, leelee. I saw the name and thought in pasing, is this OUR Halfwise back, but because I was running around Forumshire at the time of my last post on this thread - like a blue arsed fly in fact - that I did not go to the next thought which should have been, it MUST be OUR Halfwise! "

Are you referring to a long ago incarnation of this forum before it was called forumshire? That's the last time I was on. I remember Tinuvial, Odo, Petty, Eldorian....if I'm the same halfwise you are talking about I didn't expect such a nice welcome. Thanks for that!

Odo hasn't acknowledged me yet, I'm trying to think up a topic that will get a rise out of him.
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:49 am

You already know Orwell better than you might think then Halfwise. Wink Lets say he's sort of a close associate of the Bankses.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 am

I shall have to think on this. Are there split personalities at work here?
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 am

wait, I just say Orwell's byline. McOdo?! But the styles don't match...if one and the same then my hat is truly off, though I do remember there was more than one Odo running around, causing confusion (at least in my little brain).
halfwise
halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:43 am

I do, of course, now remember you, Mr Halfwise... But I was waiting to see how things went, as you must know I do not like to be hasty. I was waiting to see if you were respectable or not, as I couldn't remember, having met you in the Hobbit Movie News forum in the First Age, which is where the True Eruvian/Illvataran Believers (the Hobbit Movie Refugees that is) came from originally after the Dark Planet Catastrophe occurred( Sad ), which should not be confused with the Forumshire Eucatastrophe. cheers

There was the Second Age, when a certain individual was instrumental in the formation of Forumshire - but Eldo and Petty don't like me mentioning that. Rolling Eyes

And now we are in the Third Age (by my reckoning anyhow). A time of new Immigration from places such as Bree-land and - believe it or not - Dark Planet - as well as the occasional idle Wanderer in the Netosphere. And, more rarely, a Lost Refugee like yourself will wander in begrimed and half naked from the wilderness. Chris returned after being lost for awhile too. Though he did not try to get a rise out of me when he did, mind.... Rolling Eyes

Mmm.... Get a rise out of me? Hey? You were one of the Disrespectables*, weren't you... Suspect

(Err...was there some incident regarding 'tuckusses'? Though, I might very well be confusing you for someone else, I guess... Not that "Electrician' chap? Yes, I might be remembering these last 'bits' wrong, and if I am, you must forgive me. It seems so long ago.... --- ?????)

(((* Actually, most True Eruvian/Illvataran Believers - except the Bankses and their closest associates, of course - are as Disrespectable (and Unrespectable) as ever. Rolling Eyes)))

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum