Smaug vs. Gollum - Page 4 Empty Re: Smaug vs. Gollum

Post by azriel Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah, the theme of loss.

Smaug vs. Gollum - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Smaug vs. Gollum - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Smaug vs. Gollum - Page 4 Empty Re: Smaug vs. Gollum

Post by Sinister71 Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Bluebottle wrote: I would still say that Smaug brought his end on himself though. He stormed out of the lonely mountain in a fit of rage because someone had stolen a small trinket from his vast treasure intent on destroying Laketown. That the people in Laketown defended themselves in those circumstances I don't think they can be blamed for.

I agree Blue I think Smaug's own vanity was his downfall, he felt himself invincible when against men. He was arrogant and vain and felt that humans (dwarfs and elves for that matter too) were beneath him. He felt NOTHING could bring him down and since at least film wise Girrion failed with the black arrows, Smaug had become cocky. Similar to David and Goliath, the larger opponent felt they could not be beaten, and the smaller foe won due to the larger foes arrogance.

As far as being sad Smaug was the last of his kind I really don't think that was ever in Tolkien's mind when he wrote the conclusion. At least he didn't give us wheel barrels on rivers of molten gold and relighting of forges by way of dragon fire. Wait never mind I think that was in the appendices part I forgot to read  slap laugh 
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4