How often do you read Lord of the Rings?

+13
Radaghast
bungobaggins
Sinister71
Tinuviel
Lancebloke
halfwise
Eldorion
malickfan
Mrs Figg
Orwell
Norc
Ringdrotten
RA
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? - Page 2 Empty Re: How often do you read Lord of the Rings?

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 am

*distant cackling*

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? - Page 2 Empty Re: How often do you read Lord of the Rings?

Post by azriel Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

* mumble of incoherent spell binding...…..*

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm

*uneasy croaking of frogs*

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm

* snapping of twigs & sinister foot fall *

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am

*urges to read.... been awhile... witches still...overpowering my memories...*

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 am

I am reading it right now (again, don't know how many times I've read it now), and felt the urge to say to someone (and since it's 0530 that someone is you lot) that The Council of Elrond must be my favourite chapter of any book I've ever read. Guess which chapter I'm at Laughing And by the way, it's been a while since I popped in - hi, all! Wave

How often do you read Lord of the Rings? - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:34 am

{{ Hi Ringo- we miss you, pop by more often. And Council is a fav of mine too, love all the variedtales you get to hear at the Council. }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:11 am

Hi Ringo!  Smile

I understand that everyone has their own taste, but it amazes me that people who share many of my own entertainment interests can find chapters like that one dull! Just last night I was talking to one of my TTRPG friends, and he was talking about how he stopped reading LotR part-way through TTT. The travel was too boring, he said. But the traveling bits are some of the best parts of the trilogy! Sure, it's not quite as good after the Fellowship breaks--the journey from Rivendell to Moria being an especial favourite of mine--but still.

Anyway, it does my heart good to hear that you're enjoying the re-read.  study   Thumbs Up

If I weren't so swamped in other fiction I would have a go myself. It's been far too long since I last read the trilogy all the way through (on the scale of several years). But I have to finish The Dark Tower (just a couple hundred pages left of book 7), and I'm in the middle of a Conan collection, and I wanted to read Dune before the show or movie or whatever comes out, and I have two more Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser anthologies left (which I've been saving as a treat), etc. etc.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:04 pm

It's funny, if you go from LotR to Dune, the writing in Dune seems amateurish. But if you go from Dune to most other science fiction....the writing seems amateurish.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 pm

{{ well I think in both cases the author was essentially a non-professional writer- different versions of non-professional writing, but both unique because of it.

The Council scene is one of those adaptations seem to struggle with, or shy form, I hate PJ's- got a couple good moments, well, ok, one, and thats mainly down to Sean Beans portrayal. Like most Pj scenes involving more than three people he resorts to reducing it to a shouting match for drama.

Heres how the BBC radio version handled it (2 and a half bloody hours to upload 15 mins- I hate Youtube!!) not sure but I think it cant be far off the length of PJ's version of the Council, which somehow still misses most of the content out!}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:33 pm

It's funny the amateur writers seem to do a better job of writing than professional writers.

But I think my main point of comparison to Dune I was thinking of was Isaac Asimov - who has great ideas but really isn't a writer's writer.

Looking forward to listening to that radio version when I'm not in the office. (yes, I most definitely post to Forumshire while in the office).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:But I have to finish The Dark Tower (just a couple hundred pages left of book 7),

Post your thoughts on the ending when you're done Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Argh, I can't stand the Elrond actor in that radio show. Doesn't sound right at all. Neither does Legolas or Bilbo. Only Gandalf and Frodo sounds about right.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:09 pm

{{ Elrond I'm not to keen on, but Bilbo yes, John Le Mesuirer is excellent as Bilbo I think. Gimli, Boromir too are excellent actors. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:14 pm

That radio adaptation is excellent. It's been a few years since I listened to it, but I seem to remember hating the nazguls - otherwise it's mostly very good

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:22 pm

{{ yeah the Nazgiuls are ropey- well, the effect they put on them more so really. I think the Black Riders are one of the things thats actually harder to do on radio as you rely purely on their dialogue, which is a not what tends to be most memorable about them. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 pm

Good point. Not sure Jackson's screamers would be any better in a radio play either Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 am

{{{ Bilbo's birthday party speech from the radio play, to give you a bit more Bilbo to judge Halfy! (Not that I dont like Holm's version, he's excellent, he makes a great Frodo and Bilbo! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 am

Haha, now I'm imagining a super-cut of Holm-as-Frodo in conversation with Holm-as-Bilbo.

Ringdrotten wrote:Post your thoughts on the ending when you're done :Smile:

Fair warning, they may contain some crabbit! Ever since a certain author self-inserted my opinion of the series has been decreasing rapidly.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm

I dunno, to my ear this Bilbo comes across as something as a shyster, there's a bit of a politician about him. You don't get that from Ian Holme.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm

{{ I dont get that vibe at all, perhaps because Ive seen the actor in so many classic British productions over the years. But then on the otherhand there is an element of the shyster to Bilbo, the manner in which he lied about acquiring the Ring has a hint of the politician to it, he is after all putting on an expensive and elaborate party the main point of which from his point of view is to stick two fingers up to almost everyone he knows, have a laugh at their dumbfounded expense, and high tail it out of there.So perhaps it is there and I am missing it, and the actor has done it deliberately. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:23 pm

You can get a very different impression when you separate voice from in-person. This is why the phone interview is an incomplete technique.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:51 am

I never liked that radio version of Bilbo: his voice sounds tired and breathy, like a rotund person who can't enunciate. And then after Holm's performance in Jackson's super-dramatic movie, the lines just sound so flat and un-charismatic.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:08 am

{{{ If it sounds like a rotund person then that must be acting lol- as Le Mesurier certainly wasnt.As to breathy, he always sounds like that to a degree, his voice does have a soft, breathy quality to it. }}

{{'Jackson's super-dramatic movie '- surely you mean super melodramatic. For me that's like complaining the book isn't dramatic. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 pm

I think Forest has a good point: after hearing (and seeing) Holme's performance, anything else will suffer in comparison.  You may fault many other things about the films (though I thought the lines Holme were given were on point) but his performance is not one of them. It is definitive of the character of Bilbo.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next