Ally
Squach
Kafria
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
27 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? - Page 4 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 am

You ever seen The Pisoner Ringdrotten? (60's version not the terrible remake).

Absolutely brilliant and suitably mindboggling. Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 am

Never heard of it in fact, but I like films that mess with my mind, so might just give it a go Very Happy

Seen any good films lately? - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:27 am

Its actually a tv series.
First ep right here for your pleasure.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 am

Watched Robocop lastnight, first time in ages. Still a ptetty good film.
Also watched Robocop 2, rubbish Neutral
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:54 am

Its a weird one Robocop 2. I can't watch it as a Robocop film, its rubbish- but if I watch it as a Judge Dredd story it works sort of fine. Odd you might think but it was written by Frank Miller who was writing Dredd at the time, once you know that and if you know a bit about Dredd its clearly a Dredd story shoehorned into Robocop. Robocop acts, sounds and on the bike even looks like Dredd. The gangs look and sound like classic Mega City juve gangs and even the bad guy and the drug would fit perfectly into the Dredd universe.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:58 am

Robocop 2 Dredd-full Laughing Laughing
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:59 am

lol!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 am

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes with my brother recently after catching a trailer for it before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and thinking it looked better than any preqel/reboot of a forty-year-old franchise last touched by Tim Burton had any right to be. Very Happy

A lot of the other trailers are pretty crappy and make it out to be either a parable against scientific advancement or a really cheesy action movie. It's neither. The human characters play a key role (obviously) but they're not the focus. It's largely a character drama about the main chimp, Caesar (played by Andy Serkis and digitally rendered by Weta -- Petty, if you want to see special effects serving the story, than this is a movie for you), his unique position as an intelligent ape and his relationships both with humans and with other apes. The premise invites cheesiness and stupidity (just look at Tim Burton's remake of the original Planet of the Apes, which my brother DVRed thinking it was the original), but I was impressed by Rise's ability to avoid that. It was a really entertaining sci-fi movie with a lot of heart and a surprising amount of poignancy, so I would, surprised as I am, recommend it to anyone who enjoys movies like that. Very Happy

Just be sure to stay after the credits begin, because there is a crucial scene that explains the end and gives a much better resolution about a minute into the credits. I didn't stay after that so I don't know if there's anything at the very end of the credits, though. Speaking of the ending, I do want to note a couple thinks about that which bothered me, so naturally, spoilers. The movie didn't really have a choice about setting up the apes' conquest of earth since it's a prequel, and while I thought their solution was a little contrived, I'm hard-pressed to think of something better.

Spoiler:

Also, I was a little bit annoyed by

Spoiler:

So yeah, an awesome and unexpected gem of a film. Don't let your preconceptions about what a reboot/prequel can amount to stop you from seeing it! cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 am

Looks like Andy Serkis (Gollum) is making a real name for himself.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/3752305/Why-Andy-Serkis-is-every-directors-creature-comfort.html
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 am

On your second spoiler point Eldo as far as I know the problem is with the positioning not vocal cords. The human throat is so positioned that the air flow is highly conductive to the production of complex sounds by being able to very precicely force the air over the tongue. As far as I know this a condition unique to walking upright on two legs as its this which determines our skull poisiiton and therefore also our throat position.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:37 am

Eldorion wrote:I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes with my brother recently after catching a trailer for it before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and thinking it looked better than any preqel/reboot of a forty-year-old franchise last touched by Tim Burton had any right to be. Very Happy

A lot of the other trailers are pretty crappy and make it out to be either a parable against scientific advancement or a really cheesy action movie. It's neither. The human characters play a key role (obviously) but they're not the focus. It's largely a character drama about the main chimp, Caesar (played by Andy Serkis and digitally rendered by Weta -- Petty, if you want to see special effects serving the story, than this is a movie for you), his unique position as an intelligent ape and his relationships both with humans and with other apes. The premise invites cheesiness and stupidity (just look at Tim Burton's remake of the original Planet of the Apes, which my brother DVRed thinking it was the original), but I was impressed by Rise's ability to avoid that. It was a really entertaining sci-fi movie with a lot of heart and a surprising amount of poignancy, so I would, surprised as I am, recommend it to anyone who enjoys movies like that. Very Happy

Just be sure to stay after the credits begin, because there is a crucial scene that explains the end and gives a much better resolution about a minute into the credits. I didn't stay after that so I don't know if there's anything at the very end of the credits, though. Speaking of the ending, I do want to note a couple thinks about that which bothered me, so naturally, spoilers. The movie didn't really have a choice about setting up the apes' conquest of earth since it's a prequel, and while I thought their solution was a little contrived, I'm hard-pressed to think of something better.

Spoiler:

Also, I was a little bit annoyed by

Spoiler:

So yeah, an awesome and unexpected gem of a film. Don't let your preconceptions about what a reboot/prequel can amount to stop you from seeing it! cheers

My daughter saw it and liked it! Shocked

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Watched Beowulf for the second time, was the animated one but it sure looks real.
Anyone seen Beowulf the movie with the live actors, i havnt just wondered whether it was any good.

Is this where Tolkien got his dragon from?
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 pm

chris63 wrote:Watched Beowulf for the second time, was the animated one but it sure looks real.
Anyone seen Beowulf the movie with the live actors, i havnt just wondered whether it was any good.

Is this where Tolkien got his dragon from?

Good movie?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

I liked it depsite it taking some right old liberties- but taken on its own merits as a film it tells an enteraining tale well and you will get sucked in b the outstanding animation along the way. I could have done without some of the more Hollywood slanted action scenes but there is good character development and world building which saves it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I liked it depsite it taking some right old liberties- but taken on its own merits as a film it tells an enteraining tale well and you will get sucked in b the outstanding animation along the way. I could have done without some of the more Hollywood slanted action scenes but there is good character development and world building which saves it.

I must look for it. In the video stores?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am

Yeah will be.

Talking of Beowulf this is an excellent reading of it (english version) by Julian Glover.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 pm

I have to drive my daughter home. I'll check this later on. Daughters always know how to annoy their fathers when they're having fun. (Come to think of it, so do wives Suspect ).

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:52 am

Saw Harry Potter, DH part 2. Its not bad, but loved the 3D.
I no some of you dont like the idea of 3D, but i recon The Hobbits going to look awesome.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Just found out about a movie called "Children of Men" and watched alot of clips from it. It seems really awesome!!!!!!

Seen any good films lately? - Page 4 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Must have missed that one- looks intriguing I shall have to track it down.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:47 pm

Is it one of those films where men suddenly find the ability to reproduce and to be able to come pregnant? Not that I've actually heard too many of those films of course. Razz

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:49 am

Nope! It's more like one of them deep movies if you know what I mean, dark, but deep.

Seen any good films lately? - Page 4 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? - Page 4 Empty How To Train Your Dragon was good...

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:18 am

In fact I really enjoyed it! The variety of dragons was fun, the massiveness of the Vikings was appropriate (although the Scot accents were weird, coming from Scandinavians), and the story was charming. The best dragon movie I can recall ever seeing. I wasn't big on the Dragonheart.
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:29 am

I've heard that Children of Men is amazing but I've not seen it myself. However, I recently finally got to watch A History of Violence, starring Viggo "Aragorn" Mortensen, which I've wanted to see for a while. It wasn't quite what I expected but I enjoyed it and the more I've thought about it the better it seems to me. Very Happy

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? - Page 4 Empty Viggo has done some wild movies

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:23 am

A History Of Violence which was CRAZY scary: those guys he kills in the diner were hideous. Viggo also did Eastern Promises, where he again played a total badass.

Children Of Men was good. It had an almost documentary feel about it at points.

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next