Norc
chris63
Eldorion
CC12 35
Mrs Figg
29 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by David H Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:43 am

BTW, I think you said you planned to rewatch most of his films in preparation for watching The Wind Rises. Did you follow through on that, and if so, was it a worthwhile effort?

I probably won't go to that great an effort, but if there are 2 or three that you think are particularly tied thematically to TWR, I'd appreciate the recommendation.

It never hurts to have an excuse to rewatch a good movie!
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:54 am

Yeah, to be clear, I don't think Miyazaki is in any way an apologist for Imperial Japan.  He's taken a vocal anti-war stance numerous times and advocated for acknowledging Japanese war crimes in history books and classes (which is a controversial issue these days in Japan).  So I have no personal beef with Miyazaki, but artistically, I am skeptical of the film.  The argument I've heard most often is that The Wind Rises is a film about the corruption of noble intentions.  And that may very well be how Miyazaki intended it.  But I don't think the film really works on that level....

Spoiler:

Edit: I can't complain that much about a well-made film that gives me this much to think about, though. Smile

Last edited by Eldorion on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 am

David H wrote:BTW, I think you said you planned to rewatch most of his films in preparation for watching The Wind Rises.  Did you follow through on that, and if so, was it a worthwhile effort?  

I probably won't go to that great an effort, but if there are 2 or three that you think are particularly tied thematically to TWR, I'd appreciate the recommendation.

It never hurts to have an excuse to rewatch a good movie!

Unfortunately, I did not; I'm still planning on rewatching all of them, but I haven't had the time lately because work has been unusually busy for me.  I think I can offer a couple of recommendations, though.  Porco Rosso (which I haven't yet seen) is another of Miyazaki's most flight-centric movies, and is highly acclaimed despite not being that well-known in the West.  I'd also suggest watching Grave of the Fireflies, although that was directed by Miyazaki's partner at Ghibli, Isao Takahata.  That's another World War II movie from the studio, and it deals with the consequences of war.  It has also spawned some controversy regarding its message and themes.  Don't watch this one if you're not up for a downer, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:09 am

Porco Rosso was the 2nd anime film I ever saw, and it would probably still my favorite. If I had a favorite. Which I don't.  

I'll plan on watching it again before seeing TWR, and maybe Grave.  

Having read the spoilers, I'm looking forward to this even more than before. It seems like the best Japanese storytelling takes you on an epic adventure, only to drop you back at the end with just as much unresolved as when you began.

This sounds perfect! :carrot:
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 am

up for a downer, ..... Eldo
Dont you love phrases like that ? 2 words so close & yet miles apart.

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:35 am

Porco Rosso is known over here. I dont know who's watched it tho ? Its often on 'Freeview' TV. I watched 'Spirited Away' at Christmas, Im quite open to most genres of Art, be it film, music, whatever. If you get enjoyment from it & it can 'touch' you in some way, either spiritually, emotionally or morally, it doesnt matter what form it comes in, as long as it 'reaches' you. Thats why I dont take the mickey out of anyone who likes say...Godzilla...(matt Brodrick) That films had so much pee taken out of it its as dry as the sahara  Smile

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:16 pm

azriel wrote:Porco Rosso is known over here. I dont know who's watched it tho ?

That's the thing. It doesn't quite fit.

It's mostly in the form of a kid's cartoon, but it's really pondering Life, Death, and Love through the eyes of a cynical war veteran and a bright young girl [not unlike my dad and mom.] It's gentle, kind, and brutal, all at the same time. And it doesn't give you many answers.

The first time I watched it in a little backroom theater in the University District I came out scratching my head wondering what I'd just seen. But it's stuck with me when many others have been forgotten.

pig 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Saw Man of Steel yesterday.

So, no, I have not seen any good films lately.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Laughing I had thought about seeing Man of Steel before it came out, but the reviews put me off it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:40 pm

The Gladiator style trailer made me want to see it, but as I haven't yet and I'm reading all these reviews saying it's crap, maybe I shouldn't Shrugging

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 31 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Laughing @ Space Cop

But can it be better than Cop Dog? Shocked
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Eldorion wrote:Laughing I had thought about seeing Man of Steel before it came out, but the reviews put me off it.
Well, it was better than Superman Returns. Which is not really saying much Very Happy

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Eldorion wrote:Laughing @ Space Cop

But can it be better than Cop Dog? Shocked
I hope someone makes "RoboCop Dog".

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Man of Steel was a mess, but a rather beautiful mess to look at.

Saw Captain America 2...exactly what you'd expect, bit longwinded and more of a 'Captain America and his mates' film but entertaining enough I suppose. I'm not really into Marvel films that much so it might have lost some of it's charm on me.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:52 am

Bought Inside Llewyn Davis the other day. Wanted my first viewing to be legal.  What a Face 

Loved it. If you like the Coen's work you'll enjoy it (i.e. don't expect Philippa Boyens' Screenwriting 101). And if you enjoy folk music it's a great bonus. Thumbs Up

I love how the Coen's cared about the music so much that they wanted the people playing it in the movie to actually be able to play it. Smile

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Caught a matinee of Noah today. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Smile

Gets a thumbs up from me.  Thumbs Up 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:05 am

Haven't seen a movie in a theater in months. Noah looks epic enough with the right cast, may drag me out. It's kinda funny to see Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly playing husband and wife again.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:17 am

Yeah, the last movie I had seen in theaters was DOS. Noah was pretty good, especially if you can get past some of the fantastical changes and historical inaccuracies (e.g. using blacksmith-like equipment to forge weapons, and Ray Winstone's "grenade" launcher device).

The action during the second act and the drama during the final act are well worth the price of admission. The moment of the flood was positively deafening, great sound work. Nod

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:07 am

I was gonna go see Noah, but with all the rain we got last weekend, I think Noah already came to see me. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:32 am

I know the film takes liberties with the Bible version but i do feel they missed a narrative trick by not including the Nephlim angle, and Noah's odd appearance of pale skin, glowing eyes and snow white hair, and his father accusing his mother of sleeping about with angels.

In m,y view the whole Nephlim/Angel thing is one of the most intriguing aspects of the OT.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:42 am

I finally saw Frozen tonight and I loved it. Very Happy As some of you know, I never watched Disney movies growing up (since my mom has never cared for them), but I've tried to get into them in recent years.  However, Disney Renaissance classics like Aladdin and The Lion King were ... well, they were okay.  More than okay, really, but a bit of a let-down.  I got the sense that I would have enjoyed them when I was younger, probably (though maybe not TLK, since I didn't handle "scary" or sad movies well as a little kid), but without nostalgia they didn't click in the same way.

But Frozen.  Goddamn.  Yes, it's obviously a kid's movie, but it really fucking worked.  It was recommended to me as being "like Tangled", which I still haven't seen more than just a couple of songs from, but that was enough to make me think I might like it more.  And now I really want to sit down and watch all of Tangled. Nod But seriously, this was a really good movie, and I'm glad I got around to seeing it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:04 am

Good to see that the "X Meets Metal" guy is still killing it. Thumbs Up

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:06 am

I watched about half of frozen. It's not that I didn't like it, it's just that I got half way through the movie then sort of lost interest at the moment. I do like Let It Go, though. Nod (Pretty sure the guy who wrote the music for Frozen also did The Book of Mormon, which also has some fantastic music.)

Eldo, have you seen Pinocchio? I'd definitely recommend that if you haven't see it. Great music.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:14 am

bungobaggins wrote:Bought Inside Llewyn Davis the other day. Wanted my first viewing to be legal.  What a Face 

Loved it. If you like the Coen's work you'll enjoy it (i.e. don't expect Philippa Boyens' Screenwriting 101). And if you enjoy folk music it's a great bonus. Thumbs Up

I love how the Coen's cared about the music so much that they wanted the people playing it in the movie to actually be able to play it. Smile

Liked this one a lot. Also like the soundtrack, especially the songs sung by Isaacs.

One thing that occurred to me is that John Goodman plays an asshole in all of his Coen roles Very Happy

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next