Norc
chris63
Eldorion
CC12 35
Mrs Figg
29 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 16 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:50 pm

I loved Gravity. Its an unusual cinematic experience, here you are in the vastness of Space, your only connection to Earth the rapid heartbeat of the woman struggling to survive.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 16 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I loved Gravity. Its an unusual cinematic experience, here you are in the vastness of Space, your only connection to Earth the rapid heartbeat of the woman struggling to survive.
Yes, it has these epic elements. As much as the modern dialogue, which approaches banter at times, grounds you in the present, certain visual themes stand out for me as timeless. For example, the womb-like quality of the first space-station the heroine enters is captured excellently by the long shot aligning her floating body inside the circle of the escape hatch. The way she sheds her space-suit almost feels like a biological transformation, like a chick escaping an egg.
I'm nearly thinking that the film exists as a metaphor for the growth of an embryo to adulthood: a kind of mythos told through modern technology.

I had read many reviewers that likened Gravity to 2001, but it reminded me of Alien much more. I like to think that Gravity is what Prometheus wanted to be.
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:31 am

Just got the Final Cut bersion of Wicker Man- it has the best picture quality of those versions available but is missing stuff that is in the Directors cut Mad  Most notably its missing the entire opening sequence before he leaves the mainland which establishes his character. Mad 
The three days seems to be restored but not had time yet to check through and see if anything else is missing still.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:I loved Gravity. Its an unusual cinematic experience, here you are in the vastness of Space, your only connection to Earth the rapid heartbeat of the woman struggling to survive.
Yes, it has these epic elements. As much as the modern dialogue, which approaches banter at times, grounds you in the present, certain visual themes stand out for me as timeless. For example, the womb-like quality of the first space-station the heroine enters is captured excellently by the long shot aligning her floating body inside the circle of the escape hatch. The way she sheds her space-suit almost feels like a biological transformation, like a chick escaping an egg.
I'm nearly thinking that the film exists as a metaphor for the growth of an embryo to adulthood: a kind of mythos told through modern technology.

I had read many reviewers that likened Gravity to 2001, but it reminded me of Alien much more. I like to think that Gravity is what Prometheus wanted to be.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:43 am

Spoilers Figg! Spoilers!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:53 am

oops sorry Embarassed 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I still want to see Gravity but I haven't gone to the theatre in a while.  Hopefully it's still there.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 16 IOVaPJz

I saw In Bruges last night and really, really liked it.  The movie was very highly recommended to me by a few different people, but I'm not sure I would have watched if not for seeing a stage performance of Martin McDonagh's play A Skull in Connemara a couple years ago. (McDonagh started off as a playwright and In Bruges was his first feature film.)

This is another one I'm not going to post the trailer for because it really doesn't capture what the movie is like at all.  You can look it up if you want, but just now that while the movie is funny, it's quite dark and heavily thematic, and you're not gonna be chuckling all the way to the end.  But it comes very highly recommended by me, so isn't that enough? Very Happy

Also, this movie managed to overcome by lingering distaste for Colin Farrell after having seen the Total Recall remake last year.  And my mom was amused to recognize both Voldemort and Mad-Eye Moody in the film.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 pm

I watched Turbo at the weekend....
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Was it as good as it looked? Very Happy

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I thought it looked rubbish... was actually quite good.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:38 pm

I really enjoyed In Bruge when I saw it. Well worth the watch.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Never heard of it, but great cast.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm

In Bruges is great but the atmosphere gave me the creepy heebies.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Lancebloke wrote:I thought it looked rubbish... was actually quite good.
Hmm, I might look into it then. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I really enjoyed In Bruge when I saw it. Well worth the watch.
halfwise wrote:Never heard of it, but great cast.
Mrs Figg wrote:In Bruges is great but the atmosphere gave me the creepy heebies.
There were definitely some parts that bothered me -- not in the sense that I disliked the film but that the subject matter was disturbing -- but the film was able to draw humor from all but the very darkest of situations within it.  I found the ending to be quite powerful, too.  And now I want to visit Bruges.  It is, after all, the best preserved medieval city in all of Belgium. Very Happy Seriously, it looks beautiful.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 pm

go when its sunny and warm.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Maybe, but the scenes when it was snowing were so pretty! I love you
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:06 pm

No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 am

I made a mistake about the Final Cut of the Wicker Man- it does have the opening establishing sequence after all, but only sort of, its missing a couple of scenes set in the local police station. (That's what I get for checking stuff before its finished downloading Mad )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 am

Eldorion wrote:
Also, this movie managed to overcome by lingering distaste for Colin Farrell after having seen the Total Recall remake last year.  And my mom was amused to recognize both Voldemort and Mad-Eye Moody in the film.
I've never experienced this distaste you mention for Colin Farrel. My sister abhors him, but I've only really seen his best movies and so don't mind him at all. He is best with his actual Irish accent (or a variant thereof), in my opinion.
I liked him in:
In Bruges
Ondine
The New World
Fright Night (2011, obviously)
Seven Psychopaths
The Way Back
The Minority Report

In that order.

By the by, has anyone seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)?
It's pretty cool, on many fronts. The score accentuates the story, re-using the same theme several different places to hint at some character-based revelation behind the basic plot-points. The narration is good, and gives the film even more historical resonance (for lack of a better word, I mean real-ness, kind of) than the costume, set, and location choices already add.
I don't want to set anyone up for disappointment, but there is this one scene with a train robbery. As I remember it, the camera travels slowly through the night air from where the outlaws wait towards the tracks themselves. This excellent piece of music plays as at first all is darkness, but then a glow of warm light begins filtering through silhouetted tree-trunks in the distance as the sound and sight of the train grow louder until the whole shebang comes surging through the blackness, bearing closer and closer to us. It is a very sensitive shot, and about as far from the crappy shaking-camera angles you see in some action films that it makes you reconsider whether both can be considered film.
The camera feels disembodied, but if it isn't one of the best POV shots in terms of texture and development that I've seen in ages I'll be darned.
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:57 pm

"By the by, has anyone seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)?" - Forest

Many times Very Happy One of my all-time favourites. The score, narration, acting, story-telling, style - it all works so well together. That train scene is excellent, and again the music combined with how it is filmed and edited plays a big part in that. It's a slow film, though, but that only improves it as it gives time for the great character archs I love about this film. It also has a really strong ending in my opinion with the combination of a fantastic score and great narration and Robert Ford's arch.  I can't put it any better than you did, Forest, so I'll just have to say I agree 100% Smile

Last edited by Ringdrotten on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 16 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:11 pm

omg YES! that movie is great! i lolvelovelvoevove the soundtrack! and the style and just everything.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Ringo, it was Forest who asked that question not Petty.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Silly me Embarassed I'll fix it right away! Wink

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 16 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next