Eldorion
Ally
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

FREEDOM!!!! [2] - Page 6 Empty Re: FREEDOM!!!! [2]

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Yes, but does the victim's report count as one piece of evidence? Cause you said that "there would have to be more evidence than just you saying I did" and, well, that sounds like pretty much all legal systems.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:01 am

Corroboration had, in some way, already been established by the time the earliest Institutional Writers had begun to illustrate Scots criminal law. MacKenzie described the ‘singularity’ of witnesses, and their ‘contrariety’, as insufficient proof - subsequently repeated by Hume, ‘…no one shall in any case be convicted on the testimony of a single witness’.[1] A similar statement appears in Alison.[2] Corroboration can also be traced to Biblical sources. The New Testament stated, ‘In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established’[3] - although it is unlikely that the requirement is based solely from the bible. Corroboration also has origins in Roman law. The Code of Justinian read, ‘We plainly order that the evidence of only one witness shall not be taken’.[4] It has been suggested that at this time, the requirement was based on the distrust of juries - however, it is suggested that it was the mistrust of judges instead, which allowed corroboration to take root.[5]

The importance of corroboration is a unique feature of Scots criminal law.[6] A cornerstone of Scots law, the requirement for corroborating evidence means at least two different and independent sources of evidence are required in support of each crucial fact before a defendant can be convicted of a crime.[7] This means, for example, that an admission of guilt by the accused is insufficient evidence to convict in Scotland, because that evidence needs to be corroborated by another source.- Wiki

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 am

I already looked at Wikipedia and it still doesn't answer my question of whether a victim's report counts as one of the two required pieces of evidence.

I can't imagine it would but your earlier post confused me.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:05 am

I am not 100% but I believe so- but it would need extra evidence- just as in the wiki case of someone admitting guilt not being enough on its own. Their admission will be taken as evidence, but only if more evidence arises pointing to it.

So if Mrs Figg claimed I stole her bag- her account would only become evidence once some corroborating evidence came to light- like you saw me do it.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 am

the Jimmy Saville trials where the crime took place many years before. In that case its only one persons word against another, there is no corroborating evidence. If these people were not believed those crimes would never have been taken to court. so in some cases corroboration is not possible and yet its important to still go ahead with a conviction.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 am

ps have you watched the Scottish Sec vid yet?- just checking in with my bugging. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 am

Mrs Figg- it is in sexual crimes that the corroboration becomes a problem- hence the drive by the political classes and womens groups to get rid of the corroboration part of the law- problem is it protects people against wrongful convictions in most other types of crime- and I dont think its a principle worth loosing just because it causes difficulties in one area- rather a way should be found to have sexual crime trials conducted differently taking into account their special needs.
Getting rid of corroboration just to solve one problem seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water to me.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:22 pm

idk, its better to be flexible in every case, because every case is different particularly historic cases.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:49 pm

For some reason I don't think that this man represents Scotland very accurately, but it's entertaining nonetheless. Very Happy

Fun fact: AC/DC and bagpipes have a long and glorious history together. Metal

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Seems a fine representive- I see hes using buckie pipes (fuel for the flames) Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:25 pm

The latest farcical Westminster paper on Scottish Independence has come out- after claiming we would need to join the euro, or create a new currency, when in reality the Bank of England would chew one of it sown bollocks off to keep our assets on the pounds balance of payments sheet, and then warning us that, due to terrorism, England might have to bomb our airports, and the BBc would instantly disappear along with all our Tv stations and a Kraken would eat all our oil rigs- the latest is using mobile phones will cost more- and phoning England will be calling abroad.

'The UK government is to claim that Scottish independence would leave mobile phone users facing higher bills.
In its latest paper on the 2014 referendum, it raises the possibility of Scottish callers facing roaming fees when they visit England.
The paper drawn up in Westminster will claim that, after independence, Scottish mobile users travelling to the rest of the UK would be charged a premium for making calls "abroad".
It warns that people close to the border could inadvertently incur these charges if their mobile phone connected to a mast on the English side.
The paper also suggests the "world class services and economies of scale" of the post office could be put at risk and claims there might be less money to roll out high speed internet services for smaller communities.
"If Scotland left the UK, posting a letter or making a call could cost more - and there could be less choice for customers.
An SNP spokesperson said, "The UK government should acknowledge that the EU is looking to remove roaming charges completely and they are widely expected to be abolished well before 2016." "- BBC

This stuff is so daft even the Scottish Tories have noticed-

Reacting on social networking site Twitter, Scottish Conservatives deputy leader Jackson Carlaw wrote: "Some of the arguments against #indy are becoming a bit silly." - BBC

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:09 am

When I went skiing in nothern Vermont in January my phone connected to a mast in Quebec and I got hit by roaming charges. #annexcanada Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 am

I should think so too. I think we should demand you Scottshobbits are vacinated against Crabbititis and RoaminGloamin disease as well, its very catching. Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:16 pm

More scare mongering- they are laying it on thick the No campaign-
'Scottish independence will "destabilise enterprise and potentially put jobs at risk", according to a paper produced by the UK government.
The paper, which was launched by Mr Cable in Glasgow on Tuesday, also states that joining the European Union (EU) post-independence would not compensate for the loss of a single market within the UK, in which there are no barriers to the flow of goods, services, capital and people.
In an interview on BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland programme, Mr Cable denied that the new paper was focussing on the negative.
The UK government says that under independence Scottish firms would have reduced access to the UK single market, extra administrative burdens for cross-border trade with the UK, different sets of business regulations on either side of the border, and tax and pension complications for individuals working on both sides of the border.
It suggests Scottish hauliers could be penalised for driving in the rest of the UK after independence- BBC

So lets get this a straight- as soon as we become independent England will refuse to trade with us and charge us huge fees for doing so?
Despite the fact this would severely harm England?
And what about all the stuff going to England- the oil, the gas, the whisky, the fish ect- are England saying it would be ok for us to charge huge fees on any English haulage just because they are English?
This is a lot of madness- post independence the two countries will come to a sensible arrangement over cross border trade because its in both countries best interests to do so.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:37 am

Um... if you Scotshobbits become Independant, Petty, would that mean Aussie Britlickspittles like me would have to go to war against Scotshobbitland? Suspect 

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Nah we just want to flog you stuff. Good stuff though like whisky. Just,you know, not cheap.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Rain makes corn. Corn makes wiskeyyyyy! Wiskey makes my baby.. Feel a little friskeeeyyy!!! #lukebyran

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:32 pm

It does that Cc.

I didnt know whether to put this here or on the sporting thread- but decided its more political than sporting-

'Prime Minister David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood.
"I can't think of anyone who deserves one more," said Mr Cameron, who watched the match from the Royal Box.
"It was a fantastic day for Andy Murray, for British tennis and for Britain," he added."- BBC

Andy's reply was, diplomatic- "It's a nice thing to have or be offered but I don't know if it merits that."

And on the other side of th eproganda coin we have Salmond defending his flag waving stunt-

The first Minister said: "I had it last year, I just didn't get the chance to wave it last year. There were lots of Saltires being hoisted over Wimbledon yesterday. The All England Club didn't mind at all. The Saltire is our national flag, Andy is a fantastic, magnificent Scots sportsman, anybody has the right to wave the national flag, it is a great way to celebrate this amazing triumph."

This is not helping either of you, its not worthy of being part of the debate over the future of a nation- and you both look like tits! Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 pm

two kids in a playground Nod 

FREEDOM!!!! [2] - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

FREEDOM!!!! [2] - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm

good luck to Andy but he has got to be the most dreary person I have ever heard on tv. His agent shouldnt let him speak. being stuck in an elevator with him just listening to him and his droning monotone would make me want to jump just to escape it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 pm

The tall chimney which has appeared in a few of my pics as a notable landmark gets demolished at the end of this month. Sad 
Im going to miss it on the horizon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23254894

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:This is not helping either of you, its not worthy of being part of the debate over the future of a nation- and you both look like tits! Evil or Very Mad 

Well, they're definitely not the sort of tits I like to see publicly. Mad 

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:27 am

Well Westminister is starting to show its true colours-

'Reports in the Guardian newspaper on Thursday suggested the UK government could give Faslane - where 6,000 people are employed - a status similar to that of British military bases in Cyprus, designated as sovereign territory.
The move would be designed to maintain access for the Trident fleet to the the open seas via the Firth of Clyde, the newspaper said.
An MoD spokesman said it was confident Scotland would remain part of the UK and that the scale and cost of relocating the base in the event of a yes vote would be "enormous".
"No contingency plans are being made to move Trident out of Scotland," the spokesman said.
A government source added: "It would cost a huge amount of money, running into tens of billions of pounds, to decommission Faslane.
"Those costs would be factored into any negotiations on an independence settlement. The sovereign base area is an option - it is an interesting idea because the costs of moving out of Faslane are eye-wateringly high."
But the SNP said the idea was "an extraordinary attempt" to bully Scotland.
Angus Robertson, the party's leader at Westminster, said: "Neither the people nor parliament of Scotland want nuclear weapons dumped here, and we are clear that Trident would have to be removed as quickly as possible."- BBC

So Westminster thinks if Scotland votes for independence- they can just steal a strategical chunk of our country near our largest area of population and keep it to put their nuclear arsenal against the will of the Scottish government and people?

That'll be interesting. Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Whats that noise I hear from Downing Street- is it David Cameron desperately backpeddling as he realises threatening to steal a bit of Scotland to keep their nukes in is perhaps not going down well in Scotland? I think it is. Nod 

'Downing Street said designating Trident's Faslane base as sovereign British territory in the event of a yes to independence was "not credible".
The prime minister's office reacted to reports that the Ministry of Defence had been looking at the idea.
He added that no such idea had come to the defence secretary or the prime minister and would not be supported by them if they did.'

So politics as usual- float a controversial idea out of a government department, then if people react badly, claim the PM and Cabinet had nothing to do with it and had no idea their own Ministry was even looking at.
I mean its only the MoD, not like its a big important Ministry with lots of cabinet level input and oversight and its only a small proposal of no significance after all not worth notifying the PM or Cabinet Office about before announcing Rolling Eyes

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm

well I wouldnt be too sure its all orchestrated. They tend to leave Top Secret files in taxis, and seem to be very butter fingered, so I dont know if it was deliberate.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next