Ringdrotten
azriel
26 posters

Page 13 of 29 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21 ... 29  Next

Go down

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Empty Re: Artwork inspired by Tolkien

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:13 pm

chris63 wrote:Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Mirkwood_-_entrance
The trees are too visually jumbled. The overall effect tends to bug one's eyes.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:31 pm

azriel wrote:The Russian ones feel very early Medieval, at least your pic, Chris, conveys the creepiness that is Mirkwood ! I was looking at this & decided if Peejers had filtered the fight with the Balrog,at the beginning,just make it dim & dark, slowly building up colour, then I would have found it more intense, You could then have the grand, climatic,  fiery fall into the abyss to round it off .

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Balrog_zps3cf59985
I don't know what you mean exactly by "filter the fight." It's too bad that you didn't find the fight all that intense, but the scene was fairly close to the book scene and works excellently on-screen. As crabbit as it might make Petty and those of his persuasion, I even prefer that Gandalf delivers the line "fly, you fools" while clutching at the bridge as it allows him to make eye-contact with the audience (and the fellowship) as he says the words.
In fact, the light in the scene does escalate towards the climax of the fight. At one point the balrog flexes his wings out to their extremities and flames flare up all over his body: this is the brightest the scene gets. Afterwards the light diminishes and the muted colours and shades of grey that constitute the dark of Moria in the film gradually return as the balrog falls and the flames dwindle.
I'm a bit crabby myself because I just lost a stupid pc game (what a thing to be crabbit over  Rolling Eyes ), but I can't stand by and hear the fight between Gandalf and the Balrog besmirched thusly.

For the record, the bridge in that illustration is far too wide, and I've never liked the idea that balrogs would have hair on them, as "cloaking itself in shadow and flames" would, you'd think, tend to burn off any hair it had.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:51 pm

No, I like the fight, to a degree. I obviously put the wrong letter in my text  Rolling Eyes was a while ago  Smile I should have put an L not an F, I agree the Balrog shouldnt be so hairy  Smile but the pic that was put up felt more sinister to me. The fight scene you could say was awesome, mainly I feel due to the rousing choral singing, Fire & flames do add to what seems an undefeatable foe. I did like the exciting fall into the depths below, with the building up of singing where they pan back & all you see is a red golden light almost gracefully & undeniably head for a 'you or me' death situation. We want Gandalf to vanquish the Balrog but we want to see how. Its a 'do or die' moment, edge of your seat stuff, thats why I feel filtering the light is important.

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 pm

As crabbit as it might make Petty and those of his persuasion, I even prefer that Gandalf delivers the line "fly, you fools" while clutching at the bridge as it allows him to make eye-contact with the audience (and the fellowship) as he says the words. - Forest

And here it is when its not milked for dewy eyed sentiment, and where its not full of slow motion 'Nooooooo!'-ing and where everybody doesn't have time to save him twice over if they weren't so busy going "Nooooo!". Here is the quick shock version!-

Bloody conversion programs! Sounds not quite in synch, which is a bit of a problem for the timing of his final words!  Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:13 am

I liked the short sharp shock version better, lot less gooey sentiment. You felt a haunting pang of  affraid when Gandalf fell, I could never understand why no one dashed back to help Gandy ? & I think this was the wrong frame to have slo-mo, slo-mo wont work in every case.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks Azriel- I think so too. It has a greater impact as you dont see it coming, and in life when bad shit happens it tends to be sudden.
Although I still have a little bit of work to do with the sound yet.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 am

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Tumblr_nal1kdM6TM1rrliafo1_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:05 am

Nope, I prefer having a little time to register what is about to happen. It was probably the sync problem that you mentioned Petty, but the audio was very unconvincing where he says "Fly, you fools."
My main problem with that scene was that I never really caught what Gandalf was saying. A similar thing happens in these movies when characters speak an Elvish line of dialogue or old place name. The emphasis is not on articulating the phrase, but on giving it emotional heft.
For example, "Flame of Udun" always sounds like "Flame-addelloon" to me in that scene.

Shrugging 

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Empty splitting hairs

Post by Elthir Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:18 pm

'The flames roared up to greet it, and wreathed about it; and a black smoke swirled in the air. Its streaming mane kindled, and blazed behind it.'

So the Balrog hade a mane in some sense... possibly like that of a grey horse? Or an angry stoat that isn't?
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Elthir wrote:
'The flames roared up to greet it, and wreathed about it; and a black smoke swirled in the air. Its streaming mane kindled, and blazed behind it.'

So the Balrog hade a mane in some sense... possibly like that of a grey horse?

study 
Possibly....
But that's not something I'd suggest kindling....
Especially while mounted....
 affraid 

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 pm

chris63 wrote:Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Tumblr_nal1kdM6TM1rrliafo1_500

Nice sentiment, but some artist didn't read the Tale of Years.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 am

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 TN-Beleg_is_Slain-280x200

azriel Nice ones, I like the one of Berens Dad on the lake before the attack and his death, I am thinking that is what that is.

Maybe the label is off on your post of Boromir demise and you very likely know this... but that first picture is when Turin wakes and kills Beleg and then the lightning strikes and he sees what he has done. Yikes, that was a powerful point in the story for me. Poor Turin is dealt one heart break after another.

I love that story, it is so different from the other Tolkien tales, so Tragic, not a happy tale. It gets my vote for the best remaining story to put to film. If someone used all the different books versions and parts, one could easily get a movie out of it.

Of course it isn't the typical happy ending kind of thing so it will probably never make it, and even if it did it would undoubtedly be warped and twisted into some unrecognizable form that would just piss us all off.

Beleg is Slain at his site...   http://tednasmith.mymiddleearth.com/site-map/j-r-r-tolkien/the-silmarillion/

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:12 am

Petty says...

And here it is when its not milked for dewy eyed sentiment, and where its not full of slow motion 'Nooooooo!'-ing and where everybody doesn't have time to save him twice over if they weren't so busy going "Nooooo!". Here is the quick shock version!-

I know! Lord how that part bugged me. I just kept thinking , grab his arm, grab him, geeze grab him already. Banghead

whining babies...you just sit there and watch him dangle for half an hour until he falls... what crap.

Like the real story and flow was inadequate to make an impact on the viewer. Jackson is such a clueless saboteur of the story. His Brilliant changes just diminish instead of enhance. Same old recurring sentiment surfaces again and again, same old sick feeling in my gut. Rolling Eyes when I think of how it could have been done.

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Did you watch the quick version Music?- if so i'd like your thoughts on it as I think I am going to make that the new version in the purist edit.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:46 pm

I love the slo-mo in those scenes, the Aragorn turning back while under a hail of arrows bit is epic.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:04 am

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Nate-hallinan-deku-final-md

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:06 am

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 Valkyrie_by_OmeN2501

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:58 pm

this advert is ravishingly beautiful and reminds me of Tolkien. its some of the most stunning visuals I have ever seen. I would love to see it on a big screen, it blew me away. Razz

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Thumbs Up Nod

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:47 pm

I found this really interesting how they made the advert. Razz

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Artwork inspired by Tolkien - Page 13 2710131412081

Adventurer