Eldorion
Ally
halfwise
17 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Stump the Meteorologist - Page 8 Empty Re: Stump the Meteorologist

Post by David H Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 pm

I got a chance to watch the Oz farm tour last night. That's quite a project! It's completely opposite of here. We have limited sun but unlimited water, you live in a frying pan. Shocked

I'm curious where you got your cranberry vines. A few years ago I met a guy who was trying to grow cranberries commercially down under, but I haven't heard anything of him since.

Planting cranberries is a bit like planting an apple orchard. The plants can take 4 or 5 years to get established, but will produce berries for ever. Our oldest bog was planted about 100 years ago, but some bogs back in Massachusetts have been being harvested since well before the American Revolution (when Englishmen didn't even know there was and Ozhobbitland). So when you choose a location to plant them, think about someplace where they won't need to be disturbed for a few years.

When we used to plant new bogs by hand, the plan was to draw lines on the ground 6 inches apart to make a checkerboard, and plant a plug of 3 or 4 vines in each square. If the y grow well, in a couple years they will cover completely over the ground in a thick mat which holds dampness under the top canopy like the micro-climate you find within a forest.

Here's a closeup picture of some of our cranberry vines in bloom. You'll notice that it's impossible to tell where one plant stops and the next starts. That's the miniature "jungle" they like to make for themselves. Stump the Meteorologist - Page 8 Cranblossom-1_zps25bcb038

Good luck!
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 pm

they look like mini fuchsias
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:30 pm

They are lovely to look at & they look like they should have a perfume, the colour is nice, like cyclamen. I love cranberries, I eat bucket loads, on cereal, porridge, yoghurt, out of a bag even  Laughing

Stump the Meteorologist - Page 8 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Stump the Meteorologist - Page 8 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 pm

They do look nice, Dave, but you probably tell that I'm the uber practical type in all things edible (after a fashion). I want fruit! 5 years! Do you know how old I am? Almost as old as Mrs Figg.  Shocked 

I'll try the bath idea I think, but plant more than Ive got now.

Do your bogs ever dry out completely?

Is that part of the process?

Or do you keep their roots wet all the time?

As to where I got them from - from Bunnings. And weren't cheap!

If I kept them in a sealed bath, would the water undergrown become stagnate after time?

And what would I fertilize with and how often?

And as to my competiton - the guy you mentioned has obviously gone missing. I know nothing.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:31 am

Orwell wrote:They do look nice, Dave, but you probably tell that I'm the uber practical type in all things edible (after a fashion). I want fruit! 5 years! Do you know how old I am? Almost as old as Mrs Figg.  Shocked 

I'll try the bath idea I think, but plant more than Ive got now.

Do your bogs ever dry out completely?

Never completely. It's always at least a little damp to the touch, and sometimes almost soggy. We grow in the native peat soil which wicks up the water from below with a little help from sprinklers at the driest times, but many growers grow in sand and manage their water more actively.

Is that part of the process?
No.
If the roots dry out, the plant sort of goes into shock and stops growing for that season. Speaking of which, do you have seasons? That could be important.

Or do you keep their roots wet all the time?

Yes.

If I kept them in a sealed bath, would the water undergrown become stagnate after time?

I'd guess not immediately, but I'd thing you'd need some circulation to the water, possibly aeration. Bear in mind we get about 3 meters of rain. I'm guessing you're somewhat less than that.

And what would I fertilize with and how often?

Using an organic soil if you can find it, like peat or compost will be a big help. Add nitrogen at times of growth, but not too much or the leaves will start to turn red and the plant will go into a coma. Potassium at somewhat less than nitrogen, the balance is more important than the actual amount. Phosphate at maybe half the nitrogen rate or less.  Micro-nutrients such as sulfur and boron depending on your specific soil and compost content.  Those are just some general guidelines.  I can't even guess rates, because everything is so different there. Try feeding them like something you know and just watch carefully for the very first sign of leaves turning red. Then STOP!
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Nice pacing in this sequel, Orwell.  Nod  I admire how the plot builds in a sort of tension-inducing inescapable logic, growing organically out of it's more inchoate predecessor yet standing on it's own. Ending on a sort of cliffhanger question was a stroke of genius. There's no doubt the audience feels themselves propelled into what we can only hope will be a continuing franchise.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:27 pm

scratch 

I guess I'll have to go wifi poaching again soon....
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm

You'll notice I'm always one step ahead, Halfy. You must wait in pregnant anticipation for Cranberry Bath Two. Though it may need to be called "Big Pot in A Cooler Part of the Garden One" after discussing it with my Missus.  Gawd I  hate how practical she is at times! She just said to tell you she's the dream squasher in our family.  Very Happy {{{ Sad }}}

{{{I don't dare suggest she pose nude on the next vid to help get a ratings boost on Youtube... however practical I think the idea is! Very Happy }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 pm

well it is 41c I am surprised you all aint starkers anyway.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Last edited by Orwell on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:54 pm

That sent tingles up and down my spine: shades of the Blair Witch Project. That black pot symbolizes something sinister, doesn't it?

Is it really 41 C?  At that temp any pics you take are probably close enough to voyeurism as to make no difference.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:01 am

Mrs Figg wrote:well it is 41c I am surprised you all aint starkers anyway.

My Missus has forbidden me going nude - something about scaring the chickens - but I don't see why she shouldn't disrobe. I quite like her nude. And if you've got it why not flaunt it, I say? - and why not internationally if so? Amazingly, she forbids me from filming her in all her glory - whether openly or sneakily. She predicts a sad and very painful life-changing personal event would occur if I did so - something involving a rather sharp carving knife... As to me standing in as her international surrogate --- possibilty utilizing false boobies --- --- Well, she said that would be unduly cruel to my friends in Forumshire --- and anywhere else... She is a practical person and so I must defer to her wisdom on this -- especially as she is an experienced Food Technology teacher --- and chillingly deft with knives of all descriptions...

Last edited by Orwell on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:04 am

halfwise wrote:That sent tingles up and down my spine: shades of the Blair Witch Project.  That black pot symbolizes something sinister, doesn't it?

Is it really 41 C?  At that temp any pics you take are probably close enough to voyeurism as to make no difference.

I am video-poet and of course have absolutely no idea what affect my work will have on viewers. Shrugging 

I also have no idea what you're talking about in your second comment, but I am aware you are American and, therefore, naturally peculiar.  Nod 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:25 am

Oh well, I guess with the ozone hole and whatnot you Aussies actually put on more clothes against the sun, while at that temperature most Yanks would be walking around in as close to their skivvies (or less) as they can get.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:32 am

Oh dear... you have conjured up unbidden images, Halfy... oooooooooh dear.....

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:00 am

OK, I've checked out the Ozzy-cam report. I think the cranberries might enjoy hanging out with the strawberries. We have wild strawberries that sometimes try to party-crash the cranberry bogs (we yank them out mercilessly by the roots). How damp is the soil? You might not even need a black pot. If you bury the cranberry plants deep (or long i.e. in a shallow trench) so that only a couple or three inches are sticking out, all the vine that got buried and feels moist ground will put out new roots. In your climate you'll want a lot more roots underground hunting for water than leaves above ground sweating it off, just to maintain some kind of balance.

I'll be gone for a bit, but please keep me posted.

{{{{This is all just so WRONG!!!! Rolling Eyes  lol! }}}}

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:19 am

So says a man (if he can truly be called a man) in a red long john body hugging suit and a green hat with a rather flirtatious feather!  Rolling Eyes 

Thanks Dave. Maybe they will go into that strawberry bath after all - and to hell with the viewing pipe! I'll just water ém a lot! And leave a strawberry plant or two. Might even be a newly discovered Companion Growing situation - sighted in nature but not yet lighted on properly by the farming community . Oh well, I'll try anything once. {{{Some things twice with the right woman (or man); some things being so wrong they're worth trying twice (apparently)  cyclops }}}.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Can you grow suspiciously shaped cranberries in a bathtub? I bet Dave can.  Nod 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:25 pm

I've suddenly got this mental image of Cranberry Dave in a bath tub!  Shocked 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm

With cranberries over him?- sort of like that famous still from American Beauty with the schoolgirl and the rose petals? Only hairier, older, and with cranberries.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:40 pm

Exactly... pale

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I hadnt thought of that, until you mentioned it!  Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Stop mentioning it!!!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Its Orwells fault! He thought of it first and now we are all thinking about it!  Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum