Arby n' Chief

4 posters

Go down

Arby n' Chief Empty Arby n' Chief

Post by RA Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 am

Just wanted to share one of my favorite online machinimas: Arby n' the chief.
It's about these two action figures of the Master Chief and the Arbiter from the Halo franchise.
The Master Chief is basically an internet troll and the Arbiter your "everyman" of sorts. The show is a satire about the online gaming community, or more specifically Xbox Live. Underneath the crude jokes and first few seasons of light humor and charm, there's a real drama in there.
It's surprising that over the years I've come to think of these two action figures, voiced by Microsoft Sam and Mike, as real organic characters. The Arbiter is coming to terms with his own mortality and the Chief is beginning to mature and gain a sense of awareness.
It's interesting how far the show has come in terms of tone.
Compare this early episode with a lighter tone
Lots of sex jokes and cussing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAOyEF17y5k
with this later mini episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di93mpcLAvk
The latter episode speaks much about Arby's character, but also a little bit about the nature of nostalgia itself (not that I agree with Chief's conclusion). I think it speaks well of the writer that the characters are able to feel real, in a matter of speaking.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Arby n' Chief Empty Re: Arby n' Chief

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 pm

My brother introduced me to these a few years ago. I was actually just thinking about this yesterday, though I can't remember why. It's a great web series! cheers

Arby's introduction is still one of my favorite moments. "I am the Arbiter, motherfucker!" said in the fake Microsoft voice. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:31 pm

I used to love this series a few years back, but I seem to have forgotten about for some reason. Is it still as good as it used to be, then?

Arby n' Chief Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:36 pm

I didn't know they were still making new episodes, actually.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm

This is the last season. The show's creator said there probably won't be a happy ending.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Huh. Is it still a pretty light-hearted show? Hopefully it'll at least be darkly comedic.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm

The later episodes are a lot darker. Both Chief and are Arbiter are breaking, making them realize that they're not going to be around forever. The Arbiter is realizing that he's going be alone with the Chief for the rest of his life.
I thought it was sad when Arbiter breaks his hand trying to open a game and the Chief just laughs.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Not sure how I feel about that. :/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:43 pm

It's a really interesting show. Though it is odd when I stand back on talk about the different tone. I think it's well done.
Last season's finale "Reunion" was heartfelt. It had a happy ending, though there were sad parts, like when the girl Arbiter met moves on with her life and says she's not playing Halo anymore.
Arbiter cries and the Chief gives him a hug Sad

There are still those light moments with Chief and the show hasn't let up with the crude jokes.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 am

But...it is it as good as noob bob?

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Can't say I'm familiar with that one.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:55 pm

Jon CJG is back with new episodes cheers

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:38 am

They did a flash forward and it was really sad
Spoiler:

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:21 am

So the ending is less than satisfying.
Spoiler:

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum