Ringdrotten
Kafria
Pettytyrant101
29 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Petty's Purist LotR Edits - Page 6 Empty Re: Petty's Purist LotR Edits

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Glad you got it alright Ringdrotten. And yeah I find it quite handy myself to have it all in one file- my only problem with it is finding where you were again, vlc it not good at moving in small amounts of a few minutes when its an 8hr odd file! Finding an exact bit can be quite exasperating. Almost enough to make you crabbit!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2011 4:23 pm

I wasn't happy with the intro in the megaedit- so I went back to it and redid everything. New music, resampled the dialogue, added sfx and hopefully smoothed it all out. And save the hassle of uploading and downloading I've bunged it on youtube.

There's a link to forum in the description as well. Very Happy

Thought I'd upload where the rest of PJ's intro ended up- so here's the Shadow of the Past scene too;

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat May 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Love the intro in the megaedit! Still not watched it. I started watching FotR one day during the russetid, but halfway through people started nagging me about parties and buckie! I'll probably find time to watch it after the exams are over, though, been too long since I watched either Jackson's version or yours Smile

Petty's Purist LotR Edits - Page 6 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm

"been too long since I watched either Jackson's version or yours"- Ringdrotten

Watch Pj's! Are you mad? Shocked Nearly 4 hours of complete non-Tolkien, non-book based rubbish added? Why would you want to? I despair!!

Here more reason to stick with the megaedit- Weathertop, no silliness, no Aragorn the arsenist no need to put the Prodogy's Firestarter over the soundtrack.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Laughing

I do enjoy watching your edits alot, but I also enjoy watching Jackson's versions, despite all the changes and over-the-top moments Wink Perhaps things had been different had I watched your edits first Question

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 29, 2011 6:14 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 29, 2011 6:21 pm

You've already run into copyright problems - Warner Bros. blocked your Gandalf and Saruman video. Wink I did like the ones I was able to watch though, and I subscribed to your channel. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Mmm I can still play it! And till showing up- but if they give me too hard a time I will try using dailymotion- they seem a bit more felxable in their approach to these matters.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 29, 2011 7:07 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 30, 2011 11:30 pm

No comments from the PJ loving liberals? scratch I was hoping to hear from you lot to see how you judge a more book orientated cut. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 30, 2011 11:32 pm

No doubt they will waffle on the matter and end up declaring that now there is something for everyone, or some other sentimental nonsense. Smile

((( Wink )))
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 am

I'll have to save Doctor Who for later, ended up watching the first part (FotR) of the megaedit instead Wink Right now I'm way too tired to give you a detailed review, but in short: Great edit, the changes you've made (both from Jackson's original and your previous edit) all improve the film, more or less. As much as I like the films as they are in their unedited form, there's no denying your version is better. I mean, scenes like the fight with the Watcher outside Moria, the fight inside Moria, the fight with the Nazguls and more - they are all so much better when they're not dragged out like they are in Jackson's cut. Thanks once again for taking the trouble of editing, uploading and sharing this with us, Petty, it really is appreciated Smile Sorry for any typos or incomprehensible sentences, I'm too tired to be writing in English now Sleep

Last edited by Ringdrotten on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:34 am

By the way, the scene where Aragorn finds the dying Boromir - was the orc with the bow (can't remember his name at the moment) cut from your previous edit too? If he was, I don't think I commented that. Just another example of how your version is better (or perhaps, how Tolkien's version is better). No drama, no unecessary battles. Flawless editing too, well done Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:45 am

I hadn't ntice your post on here somehow Ringdrotten- sorry. No the orc with bow wasn't previously cut. I cut him, then some friends complained they liked it, so I reinstated it, then I watched it and still didn't like it so I took it back out. I think it was the right choice. Without the whole 'birthing' scene bit in Isengard that particular character is highlighted no more than any other orc. PJ made him a character so had to give him a character arc (one of the problems when you add stuff in) there was no reason for me to give him a big ending in my edit. I also think there is something more horrible in the orcs just leaving Boromir to die without a care, as they do in the book- had the orcs done in fact what PJ's do by the time Aragorn arrives Bormoir would have been little chopped up bits.

Ddi you ever get round to downloading it Odo? Or has anyone else got round to watching the megaedit yet?
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Is there something wrong with the new post icon of this thread? I didn't notice you had replied either. Anyway, I was reading one of your posts on PT and I realised something.

"And the first time you read it of course you have no idea of how likely it is or not that Bilbo could send letters as you don't even know where he is."

Didn't understand why you cut the "He's gone to stay with the elves" bit in Frodo and Gandalf's dialogue, but of course, Frodo doesn't know! (in the book at least). Clever, Petty Very Happy (and flawless editing Wink)

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Well the edits slogan is '"Taking the PJ out putting the Tolkien back!" It was one of those lines which bothered me right from the start (and was a bit of a bugger to get rid of as it turns out, that took a fair bit bit of fiddling, which was often the case with the edits, it was the stuff seemd simpliest that turned out hardest to do- if you watch the original scene and the edit side by side you can see my eventual solution).

-It came up with the new post icon this time, maybe I just missed it last time, though that would be unusual.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:29 am

Just noticed something about the edit of the Helm's Deep bit, because I cut the entmoot bit out for the youtube upload to save time and for relevance I can see exactly how long the battle lasts onscreen. Just over 10 minutes! (The youtube bit stops once all the elves are dead, just before the bit at the gate with Aragorn and Gimli). To think if PJ had left out the elves, the terrible misplaced Gimli jokes, the silliness (Legolas surfing on his shield etc) he could have had all the great stuff in the book. For example in PJ's own film we see Saruman recruiting the Dunlanders, yet where are they at Helm's Deep? He could have kept them and then he could have used dialogue from the actual book and given us some depth to the charcaters we meet in Rohan;

'This is a night as long as years,' Aragorn said, 'How long will the day tarry?'
'Dawn is not far off", said Gamling, who had now climbed up beside him. 'But dawn will not help us, I fear.'
'Yet dawn is ever the hope of men,' said Aragorn.
'But these creatures of Isengard, thses half-orcs and goblin-men that the foul craft of Saruman has bred, they will not quail at the sun,' said Gamling, 'And neither will the Wild Men of the hills. Do you not hear their voices?'
'I hear them,' said Eomer, 'but they are only the screams of birds and the bellowing of beasts to my ears.'
'Yet there are many that cry in the Dunland tongue,' said Gamling. 'I know that tongue. It is an ancient speech of men, and once was spoken in many western valleys of the Mark. Hark! They hate us, and they are glad; for our doom seems certain to them. 'The King, the king!' they cry. 'We will take their king. Death to the Forgoil! Death to the Strawheads! Death to the robbers of the North!' Such names they have for us. Not in half a thousand years have they forgotten their grievance that the lords of Gondor gave the Mark to Eorl the Young and made allience with him. That old hatred Saruman has inflamed. They are fierce folk when roused. They will not give way now for dusk or dawn, until Theoden is taken, or they themselve are slain.'
'Nonetheless day will bring hope to me' said Aragorn,'Is it not said that no foe has ever taken the Hornburg, if men defend it?'
'So the ministrels say,' said Eomer.
'Then let us defend it, and hope!' said Aragorn.

Now I grant in an adaptation you might have to trim Gamlings speech a bit. if you will indulge me (because I am just off nightshift and it too early for bed still and I have time to kill) and imagine the film had gone something like this.

Aragorn and Eomer are surveying the enemy below outside the walls of the Hornburg. It is a black night still with only a few pale stars in the sky, the moon is beginnng to set beyond the hills. Beneath them, with the Wall taken the orcs and wild men have gathered in a braying mob.

Aragorn- This is a night as long as years. 'How long will the day tarry?

As he speaks Gamling climbs up onto the platform beside them. He looks to the setting moon.

Gamling- Dawn is not far off. But dawn will not help us, I fear.

Aragorn- Yet dawn is ever the hope of men.

Gamling - These creatures of Isengard, these half-orcs and goblin-men that the foul craft of Saruman has bred, they will not quail at the sun. Nor will the Wild Men of the hills. Do you not hear their voices?'

Eomer - I hear them, but they are only the bellowing of beasts to my ears.

Gamling - Yet there are many that cry in the Dunland tongue. I know that tongue. It is an ancient speech of men. They hate us, and they are glad; for our doom seems certain to them. 'The King, the king!' they cry. 'We will take their king. Death to the Strawheads! Death to the robbers of the North!' Such names they have for us. Not in half a thousand years have they forgotten their grievance that the lords of Gondor gave the Mark to Eorl the Young and made allience with him. That old hatred Saruman has inflamed. They will not give way now for dusk or dawn, until Theoden is taken, or they themselve are slain.

Aragorn - Nonetheless day will bring hope to me. Is it not said that no foe has ever taken the Hornburg, if men defend it?

Eomer - So the ministrels say.

Aragorn - Then let us defend it, and hope!

A little trimming for brevity and there you go, not like its even hard to do. Now wouldn't that have been better than any amount of 'Gimli humour', Legolas shennanigans or elves dying in slow motion?
Pj there are times when you make me weep.

Sad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:55 am

Just finished watching RotK from the megaedit, but forgot to take notes Embarassed So here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

- Going directly from the invasion of Osgiliath to the lighting of the beacons - can't remember if this was in your first RotK edit, but brilliant idea Very Happy

- Why remove Theoden's "So, it is before the walls of Minas Tirith our doom will be decided" line? (no biggie, it's just that I always liked that line Smile)

- Denethor: Big improvement. No hallucinations, no running twenty miles while burning and a much improved pyre scene. Well done Smile

- The scene where Merry stabs the Witch King - straight to the point, quick and easy. Not sure if you edited this scene in the first RotK edit (only seen that one once I'm afraid), but like the scene where Gandalf slips from the bridge in Moria, this was an improvement.

- The scene where Aragorn drops the jewelry Arwen gave him: Can't remember if I commented on this scene when I saw your first RotK edit, so I'll do it now: A brilliant touch of ingenuity Very Happy One of your best ideas. Why didn't Peter Jackson do the same thing? Bravo!

- Once again, the film is much more enjoyable without the intercutting Smile

- The red filter: To think that such a small change should make such a big difference! Loved it! It created a much darker atmosphere. Most other films I've seen that have tried to create a dark atmosphere have done so by using very little light, which means you can barely see anything. Using a red filter was brilliant. I believe you have said you chose red to symbolize Sauron's will, and I think you succeeded in that. Not sure if you made the filter redder as they got closer to Mordor, or if those scenes are just darker in the first place, but the fact that the scenes in Mordor were even redder made the effect even better. And removing the filter once Sauron's eye exploded was awesome Very Happy

I've probably forgotten some things, so if there is anything in particular you want feedback on, feel free to ask Smile

Overall impression - brilliant! Looks like I won't be watching Jackson's cut for a while, mostly because there is no intercutting, and because of some of your changes and the red filter which really changed the film for the better. I have an idea of how much work you put into this edit (judging by some of your posts Wink), so thank you very much for sharing this, it is much appreciated Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:57 am

PS: I forgot to add, thanks for the mention in the credits Smile Never thought I'd be listed in the credits of RotK Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks for the feedback Ringdrotten. Glad you enjoyed it.

"Why remove Theoden's "So, it is before the walls of Minas Tirith our doom will be decided" line? (no biggie, it's just that I always liked that line "

Nothing against the line as such but I felt it was one of those PJ lines which are only there in case the viewer is comatosed and can't keep up.

Yes the filter does get redder the closer to Mordor you get. Happens with Frodo and Sam and also when Aragorn rides to the Black Gate. Glad you liked it, I really feel it is a worthwhile addition to the feel of RotK and the mood, even if I do say so myself.

"I forgot to add, thanks for the mention in the credits"

No problem, you and Kafria were excellent in providing feedback that led to new changes, so only fair. At some point after the Picnic concert is done I plan to do an HD version so still time for any small changes anyone notices.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 am

I hadn't noticed any changes.... whoops... I better try and download it again.... Why was I born such a dufus?

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 am

Banghead

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:14 am

Alright! Mad I'll find your last email on the subject and I'll try again! Mad new enscryption spell btw: Arrow [[[[[Some people - especially Scotshobbits! Rolling Eyes]]]]]

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 am

what new inscription spell? I don't see one! scratch

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next