Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:30 pm

whats a quantum computer? scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Quantum Physics - Page 36 Empty Re: Quantum Physics

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:45 pm

One way to look at it is ordinary computers do everything in 0 and 1 known as binary, so to represent '9' in binary you have to write 1x(2x2x2) + 0x(2x2) + 0x(2) + 1 => 1001, or 4 bits of information.  Each bit is a placeholder of 1 or 0.

A quantum computer is continuous (I know it's odd saying a quantum computer is continuous while a classical computer is quantized) so it can write 9 as easily as it can write 1, so calculations become much faster.

But then the quantum subtlety comes in.  A quantum computer is actually keeping all these 4 bits of information found in the ordinary computer, but it allows you to see them all at once, hence the speed up.  But because it's quantum, it actually doesn't allow  you to see the order, it just lets you know there's 2 placeholders that have 1 in them, without telling you where.  So you could have 0011 = 3, or 0101 = 5, or 1100 = 12.....as well as 1001 = 9.  The trick is how to use lower quality information that gets to you faster.  Maybe you have to see it divides evenly by 2; is it less than 10, etc.  Eventually you'll get there.

Some examples are given in https://plus.maths.org/content/how-does-quantum-commuting-work

You have to do more work to get your answer, but since the work goes so much faster the end result is faster.

As to how to build the damn thing, there are several ways. One is you'll need to make an array of "quantum boxes", which can be no more than holes in metal that could hold electrons, or photons, what have you.  In a classical computer if they have or don't have a particle it's a 0 or 1; in a quantum computer they have to somehow have communicated with each other so that it's a superposed state, and what's going on in one is related to the others.  One way to do this is to shoot them through a beam splitter so that if a particle goes one way it can't have gone the other.  Reading one box tells you what's in the other.  The trick then is to program your beam splitter to reflect your problem.   Maybe it's a 50/50 beam splitter, or a 30/70 reflecting the chances of going one way or another.

In reality people use electrons that can have "spin up" or "spin down", like little magnets oriented pointing north or south. But that's getting tricker to visualize if you're not used to it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:03 pm

yikes! I understood about 5% of that, but thanks anyway. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:48 pm

{{ Same Figg, but with any luck you understood a differnt 5% than me and so between us we can understand 10% of it!! Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:10 pm

What, you think I understood any of it?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm

I neither understand nor fail to understand most of it...
or at least some of it...
I think...
confused  
cyclops
Suspect

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:35 pm

I understood the words ' its faster' and that's about it really. cyclops What a Face
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:33 am

Dave is in a state of quantum superposition.

David H wrote:I neither understand nor fail to understand most of it...
or at least some of it...
I think...
confused  
cyclops
Suspect

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:22 pm

To think that even around 1900 it was still possible to debate if atoms existed (Einstein settle it with his calculations of Brownian motion), and here we have our first moving picture at atoms moving around and even binding.  rhenium atoms in a carbon nano tube.

I'd post the journal link but I don't think reading it is all that enlightening.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:07 pm

Hey David, saw this and read a lot of words. Care to translate into laymen terms what this means? cyclops

Heisenberg limit gets a meaningful update
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:08 pm

Arg, the Bayesian approach is only different from the frequentist approach if you have incomplete information but new evidence is coming in. Unless they specify how the available information is being limited I don't see the advantage. This has shades of Einstein's real versus Bohr's experimentally realized universe. I may come back and comment in full later, no time now.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:52 am

the kid at the beginning is brilliant. I'll see about the rest.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:08 am

The students they got are so totally NYC: racially indeterminate and smart.

I like that she keeps pulling in (young) women to talk to. I always preferred female students when teaching physics. They're less distracted by male intellectual BS. (I know I'll get some flack from this).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:57 pm

I think mens brains are easily distracted Smile Ive seen so many young boys at school, including my son, who drifted off into another world & yet the girls at least showed a bit of interest Smile

Quantum Physics - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Quantum Physics - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm

this will be interesting:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/new-experiment-hopes-solve-quantum-mechanics-biggest-mystery-180974132/

Sorry Nagual, your earlier question about Bayesian uncertainty principle gets so far into abstractions that I just haven't had time to clarify it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 am

halfwise wrote:The students they got are so totally NYC: racially indeterminate and smart.

I like that she keeps pulling in (young) women to talk to. I always preferred female students when teaching physics.  They're less distracted by male intellectual BS.  (I know I'll get some flack from this).
Rolling Eyes

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:08 pm

I should add that this difference vanishes by mid career college. But in high school, yeah, it's girl power all the way. The funny thing is, the boys think they're so smart in high school, and that's their downfall.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:13 am

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Something doesn't add up. there'd be much more dark matter than ordinary matter, so why don't we see it routinely on earth? Granted a hexaquark is a sort of super neutron so doesn't interact much with EM waves, but one would think they'd bind in nuclei via the strong force and so they'd be noticed.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:11 pm

{{ I'm just going to nod Nod in the assumption the words you used Halfy make sense to someone and in the hopes I dont seem as stupidly drunk as I am! drunken Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:35 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:03 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:42 am

{{ Right where are the brainy people?!!

Turns out Ive been pondering a mathmatical quandary all my life without really knowing it was one.
You see when I was a kid it was the days of the record player still, lp's especially are the point as when a kid I found record players lots of fun for things other than music, such as sitting action figures on the record as it spun.
And it was doing this I hit a bit of a puzzler- if I put an action figure near the edge, and assuming it didnt spin right off, and then put another action figure near the middle of the record and spun the record at one of its two set speeds, they both go round 1 revolution at same time- which even to my kid brain didnt make sense, as surely the one near the middle is travelling a lot less further than the one on the edge, so how can they, whilst travelling at same speed butover different distances, go round exactly once at same time?

Anyhow this has bubbled away at back of my head for about 40 years now as one of lifes unanswered mysteries.
Today I stumbled on this youtube vid giving an explanation of why this occurs-

So if it explains it why do I need the brainfolk? To explain the explination!!!! There are infiintie numbers between numbers and that somehow means my action figures, despite travelling different distances do so in the same amount of time travelling at same speed? What? How does that even help?!! Mad I hate maths, it might be right but it doesnt make a blind bit of human sense. Mad }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:28 pm

azriel wrote:I think mens brains are easily distracted Smile  Ive seen so many young boys at school, including my son, who drifted off into another world & yet the girls at least showed a bit of interest Smile

Of course, while the girls were studying physics, I was looking at the girls thinking of chemistry.... 😎

Last edited by Orwell on Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Right where are the brainy people?!!

Turns out Ive been pondering a mathmatical quandary all my life without really knowing it was one.
You see when I was a kid it was the days of the record player still, lp's especially are the point as when a kid I found record players lots of fun for things other than music, such as sitting action figures on the record as it spun.
And it was doing this I hit a bit of a puzzler- if I put an action figure near the edge, and assuming it didnt spin right off, and then put another action figure near the middle of the record and spun the record at one of its two set speeds, they both go round 1 revolution at same time- which even to my kid brain didnt make sense, as surely the one near the middle is travelling a lot less further than the one on the edge, so how can they, whilst travelling at same speed butover different distances, go round exactly once at same time?

Anyhow this has bubbled away at back of my head for about 40 years now as one of lifes unanswered mysteries.
Today I stumbled on this youtube vid giving an explanation of why this occurs-

So if it explains it why do I need the brainfolk? To explain the explination!!!! There are infiintie numbers between numbers and that somehow means my action figures, despite travelling different distances do so in the same amount of time travelling at same speed? What? How does that even help?!!  Mad I hate maths, it might be right but it doesnt make a blind bit of human sense.  Mad }}}

I’ll get to your post once I’ve found the brainy people. Ummmm... do we get a clue about where to start looking...as that would seem only fair to me... study

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum