Music, Pictures & Thoughts.

+3
Norc
Pettytyrant101
Turembar
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Music, Pictures & Thoughts. - Page 2 Empty Re: Music, Pictures & Thoughts.

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 am

Well, I've never read the books, so I had no purist leanings when I saw the Holmes movies. Very Happy I didn't care for the second RDJ Holmes film though. I thought it was overblown when it came to spectacle and underdeveloped when it came to story and character. Say what you like about its differences from the original work, but the first RDJ movie had a story that worked on its own terms and characters that were (for me, anyway) immensely entertaining to watch. Cool

As for BBC Worldwide; as I understand it, the BBC is not legally allowed to use money from the UK television license fee outside of the UK (I guess because the money comes from ordinary UK citizens). As a result, although the BBC owns BBC Worldwide outright, BBC-W operates more or less independently and has its own finances. They mostly distribute BBC programmes, but they're far from the only channel to receive get licensed shows from the main Beeb.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 am

The money presumably though ends up back at the Beeb! Suspect I smell a tax dodge for sure. Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:47 am

I actually don't think RDjr sucks.. really. I just don't think it's Sherlock enough (I too haven't read the books, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about Razz ) but the first movie was a bit cluttered and I didn't understand the plot until the end. It is funny though, and actually, Eldo, the second one is better in fact. Very action filled, I think that's the problem, doesn't give the audience time to pick one self up and realize why they are travelling there and who they're chasing. It's entertaining, though I think it misses a bit of the Sherlocky things, like the deduction. But all in all, one cannot compare RDJ-Holmes and BBC-Holmes, cause they are two very different things and have modernised Sherlock in two very different ways. I can watch both movies (RDJ) and be entertained.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:59 am

I like him as an actor, just not in that film. I think he is or was better than these blockbusters he seems to churn out.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:06 am

I just don't think it's Sherlock enough (I too haven't read the books, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about- Norc

No you do (in this case Wink ) its not like the original books or characters except in the most superficial manner.
What Moffat and co have done is to adapt the original stories, add to them and expand them but to refocus it back to what the books were focused on- the releationship between the two principal charcaters and the mysteries, the stories.
Moffat said he thought when people tried to adapt it in traditional setting they got all caught up in the setting, carriages, foggy streets, street urchins etc- forgetting that at the time of publication that was not some romantic vision of London, that just was everyday London- Moffat wanted to retain that and by setting it now he puts London back as a character rather than as an asthetic and the focus switches back where it belongs-the charcaters, with London becoming again the field of battle on which Sherlock moves.
The opening episode of Sherlock for example has a lot from the original books- from Sherlock beating the corpse with the riding crop to see how it bruises after death to the conversation in the cab with Watson about what a Consulting Detective is- these are all adapted straight from the original stories but with some new twists and turns. Moffats, unlike the RDjnr version, is an adaptation of the books with additional material not a complete reimagining.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:01 am

Steady Norc! I was just pulling your leg. Wink Yes I have seen the new Sherlock & they are a very entertaining pair. I don't follow the new Hobbit stuff really (prefer to go in cold) but did hear that we will get to see them again as Bilbo and Smaug. I have only seen the 1st Downey film, and didn't think he was bad, just different. I still get a chuckle when I think of Dr. Watson's disgusted remark about what Holmes was drinking was supposed to be for eye surgery. I thought the plot was very good in that film though. I was really stumped on how the villain was pulling off those devilish tricks.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:14 am

Suspect you shouldn't be gambling like that, I was un utter shock..

and anyway, det RDJ movies aren't bad. Not at all. They're well made, funny good action sequence, and they have good chemistry both on and off screen, it's just a very different Sherlock Holmes and well.. it's all about action and comedy. It's a different Sherlock Holmes and I prefer the BBC's adaption, though I can watch RDJ's version and be entertained and think it's funny and love the action (though sometimes the plot goes a bit fast and I don't know what is happening).The relationship between Watson and Holmes is too very different. In the BBC they clearly both need each other and their affection is very subtle, but there, in the RDJ-version they still need each other, though Holmes maybe more than Watson and it kind of seems Watson wants to get away (he marries right). I can't really put my finger on it at the moment, but if you try and look at both adaptions with that in mind you'll probably going to see what I mean. And also BBC's Sherlock seems more eccentric and he plays better violin (although... woth a trained eye...) The second movie is actually (and that is quite rare) better than the first one.

Music, Pictures & Thoughts. - Page 2 Tumblr_lzz6obi3M51r5ujik
this should actually have been in one of the first statements of mine..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Norc wrote: Suspect you shouldn't be gambling like that, I was un utter shock..

Lol. I like playing dum. It comes very naturally, and you Euros are so quick to fall for it. Laughing Anyway, glad to hear positive things you say about RDJ & Jude Law, ditto the action. I am not sure but did not the RDJ film(s) lead to the making of the new BBC series?

The new Holmes reminds me of people I know closely with light cases of Aspergers Syndrome. I don't mean this in a bad way, because if there is an Aspy around I am going to probably befriend them. Awesome people.

Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Music, Pictures & Thoughts. - Page 2 Empty Statues of the Restless

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 pm

I had nothing but technical problems with this post! Mad I am going to dump it all and start from scratch.

Love this song!

Music, Pictures & Thoughts. - Page 2 Battle1_blogsize

Battlelore - House of Heros (Finland 2007, All Battlelore songs are based on Tolkien Themes)

"...Heroes and fools, all together, all the same,
Statues of the restless, Gallery of the drowned and the pale..."

Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 am

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed May 02, 2012 2:32 am

Passing of Elves. LOVELY
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 02, 2012 5:46 pm

and sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 am

When Im feeling a bit down and life is grim I find turning to The Smiths and this song always puts a smile back on my face and some perspective on the ludicrousness of it all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:51 am

Cheered me up! Laughing

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2