Orwell
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Ringdrotten
8 posters

Go down

Golden moments Empty Golden moments

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:00 pm

This thread is inspired by two threads from the archive forum, "Golden moments" and "Golden LotR Moments overlooked for the movies". Instead of two separate threads for books and movies we'll have just the one for both, and also include The Hobbit (books and movies when the time comes). Here you can share your favourite moments/parts from LotR and The Hobbit, film or book, and maybe, if we're lucky, we'll see some Purist vs Liberal discussions too Very Happy Fire away!

Golden moments Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Golden moments Empty Re: Golden moments

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Did you say we can do both films and books? cos its really difficult if not impossible but here goes... in a nutshell if I was to chose my one absolute favourite moment from the book it would be the passagefrom where they have met Tom and he is skipping and running off into the night, leaving the hobbits alone to find their way to his home, I love the description of the night sounds and the strange knobbly trees peering down at them from above the path. I love their first glimpse of Toms house on the grassy hill.
My favourite moment from the film is Faramir and Eowyn meeting in the House of Healing in the EE with the beautiful song, and then seeing them on the terrace looking out over the pelenor fields. sigh. I love you But a close second would be Gandalf and Pippin in the Far Green Country scene in Minas Tirith. That was heartbreaking.
[url=Golden moments Faramir-and-Eowyn-faramir-and-eowyn-7533691-720-358]

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 pm

The night in Tom Bombadil's house is one of my favourites too Smile It is golden/favourite moments in plural, though, so you may list as many as you like Smile

Last edited by Ringdrotten on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Golden moments Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:13 pm

That going to Tom's house scene is also a fav of mine! In particular I love the white stones that mark the path and the description of them faintly marking th eway inthe growing gloom- white stones marking paths for that reason are really common here and I can envision that with all the clarity of past memory and Tolkien of course catches the mood and details perfectly.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Did you say we can do both films and books? cos its really difficult if not impossible but here goes... in a nutshell if I was to chose my one absolute favourite moment from the book it would be the passagefrom where they have met Tom and he is skipping and running off into the night, leaving the hobbits alone to find their way to his home, I love the description of the night sounds and the strange knobbly trees peering down at them from above the path. I love their first glimpse of Toms house on the grassy hill.
My favourite moment from the film is Faramir and Eowyn meeting in the House of Healing in the EE with the beautiful song, and then seeing them on the terrace looking out over the pelenor fields. sigh. I love you But a close second would be Gandalf and Pippin in the Far Green Country scene in Minas Tirith. That was heartbreaking.
[url=Golden moments Faramir-and-Eowyn-faramir-and-eowyn-7533691-720-358]

Oh Mrs Figg, what a Whimsical Romantic you are, its no wonder I adore you! I love you Not enough of us left, I'm afraid. Crying or Very sad There are just all these pulp-fiction loving, films-must-fit-every-cliche post-modern intellectaul sorts. (You know the ones, the ones who claim Tom was never an intgral part of the books, just a bit of idle floss Rolling Eyes ).

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:29 pm

You didnt say which were your favourites Orwell? sunny
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:52 pm

A favourite moment of mine is Frodo walking around Bag End just before he leaves, the description of it is perfect if you have ever been in the position of leaving a place youve loved and seeing it empty after so many years of being full. Gets me every time.

Another favourite moment is during the Scouring of the Shire whenthey are around the fire and the Gaffer arrives and chastises Frodo for leaving saying "And while you're been trapessing in foreign parts, chasing Black Men up mountains from what my Sam says, though what for he don;t make clear, they've been and dug up Bagshot Row and ruined my taters!" and the brilliant "What's become of his weskit? I don't hold with wearing ironmongery, whether it wears well or no."

Despite all the epicness and grandeur its usually the small moments that I find most joy in when I read.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:53 am

My favorite parts are everything having to do with Eowyn, especially in ROTK when Aragorn leaves with the Grey Company. "Because they love you." Sad Get's me everytime (in the book. It's awkwardly placed in TTT film) And I LOVE Faramir and Eowyn together, that's the best love story I think in LOTR! (Aragorn and Arwen don't make the cut for me Shrugging )

Golden moments Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Agreed. I just wish that their romance had more screen time, and was not reduced to 2 seconds at the end at Aragorns Coronation. Just seeing them together bowing before Aragorn and the Hobbits was not enough. Sad
also being a costume nut, i would have liked to have seen Eowyns golden gown in long shot as it looked spectacular.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:06 pm

One of my favourite scenes

Golden moments Rivend11
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Love this scene

chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 pm

ME TOO!!!!! I love you I love you I love you
....and If I woke up in this bedroom I wouldnt be looking miserable like Frodo does..Golden moments Frodo_rivendell_sittingupinbed

Indeed i would be jumping about like a loony....Golden moments Rivendell_frodos_room
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Golden moments Tom_bombadil_elf
Tom bringing Goldberry her lilly flowers.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Love it Very Happy Very Happy cheers
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:14 am

chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 pm

oh, that song, that scene Sad the only movie scene/song that ever made me cry...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:17 pm

"Oh Mrs Figg, what a Whimsical Romantic you are, its no wonder I adore you! Not enough of us left, I'm afraid. There are just all these pulp-fiction loving, films-must-fit-every-cliche post-modern intellectaul sorts. (You know the ones, the ones who claim Tom was never an integral part of the books, just a bit of idle floss )."

Why couldn't they have blown more things up in the movie? I mean, Tolkien already broached the topic at Helm's Deep, they should have gone on blowing things up all the way through. %$!!ing arrows, my ass: Faramir should have been dragged back to Minis Tirith with a burning fuse attached to him. No tension in a lifeless body, what? And instead of getting rid of the scouring of the shire completely they could have replaced it with a chase scene - you know, Saruman galloping along on his horse, the hobbits in hot pursuit, push carts being upset right and left, staffs tossed over the shoulder to trip the pursuers...now THAT would have made a movie!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 pm

halfwise wrote:"Oh Mrs Figg, what a Whimsical Romantic you are, its no wonder I adore you! Not enough of us left, I'm afraid. There are just all these pulp-fiction loving, films-must-fit-every-cliche post-modern intellectaul sorts. (You know the ones, the ones who claim Tom was never an integral part of the books, just a bit of idle floss )."

Why couldn't they have blown more things up in the movie? I mean, Tolkien already broached the topic at Helm's Deep, they should have gone on blowing things up all the way through. %$!!ing arrows, my ass: Faramir should have been dragged back to Minis Tirith with a burning fuse attached to him. No tension in a lifeless body, what? And instead of getting rid of the scouring of the shire completely they could have replaced it with a chase scene - you know, Saruman galloping along on his horse, the hobbits in hot pursuit, push carts being upset right and left, staffs tossed over the shoulder to trip the pursuers...now THAT would have made a movie!

I can't deny the logic of it all, Halfwise, but I'm just not comfortable with your view, however fiscally responsible it is. Very Happy

(Petty and Eldo have hinted I'm naive on another thread - maybe they're right... but I can't help having a namby pamby romantic heart... Shrugging )

{{{"And instead of getting rid of the scouring of the shire completely they could have replaced it with a chase scene - you know, Saruman galloping along on his horse, the hobbits in hot pursuit, push carts being upset right and left, staffs tossed over the shoulder to trip the pursuers...now THAT would have made a movie!" Actually, I wouldn't have minded seeing that! Very Happy }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down