Pretty Tyrant
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
11 posters

Go down

MILESTONES Empty MILESTONES

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:23 am

There are a couple of special dates and achievements for the forum that I think merit mentioning, and since they have coincided quite neatly, I thought I'd make a special thread for the celebration of our community and how far we've come! Very Happy

1. Today, December 9, is our 300th day on the new forum. It is also the day on which we surpassed the old forum's 17,536 posts, and when the old and new forums combined reached a total of 35,000 posts!
  2. Tomorrow, December 10, is the third anniversary of Admin Ady's creation of the original forum way back in December 2008. It would be a day until GB, the first member, signed up and many months until activity really took off, but it was still the beginning of everything we have here now.
  3. December 11 will be exactly 10 months since the old forum was removed, and December 13 is the 10 month anniversary of the establishment of the current forum.

I'm so happy and proud that our community has survived the end of one forum, and especially that we have continued to be active and in 10 months have had as many posts as the old forum got in two years. I still miss some of the people who didn't make it here, and others who have become quieter since, but I still hope that we'll see everyone return at some point sooner or later. I am perhaps most glad that our community has grown further since the move and we've been joined by people like Amarie, Leelee, Lorient, Mrs Figg, and others. Thank you all for making this such a wonderful forum and a place that I want to keep coming back to every day. cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

MILESTONES Empty Re: MILESTONES

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:33 am

cheers drunken This calls for a celebration- of course!! Very Happy Well done everyone for keeping the place going through thick and thin. And I'd like to add my own gratefullness to the new folks who have opted to stay with us and I'm hoping some of our one time regular posters that have fallen by the wayside for whateevr reason might find their way back here again soon safe and sound.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Great thread, Eldo Very Happy And yes, this calls for a celebration! cheers Pass me the buckie, Petty drunken

MILESTONES Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:41 pm

I'm glad you guys are as excited as I am! Very Happy Also, just for fun, here are the original posts on both the old and new forums, made by Admin Ady and myself, respectively.

10 December 2008

ady wrote:Welcome. I noticed some of the posts were getting quite a lot of comments so thought it might be time to put up a forum where regulars can chat in a better environment.

At the moment it seems sensible to leave just the one general forum on the hobbit movies. I thought about setting a few up such as movie 1, movie 2, Del Toro etc. but as the topics would overlap it probably wouldn't work.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.......

13 February 2011

Eldo wrote:We all seem to want somewhere to discuss things freely and this works better than a comments section, so here we are. More to come soon, I hope!

A curious point: the first response in both of those threads was by GB. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty Tyrant Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:25 am

I do so miss stroking his beard after Petty had riled him up. Such a sensitive soul yet vigorous.

Clue-finder

Location : Pure Publications communal housing scheme, Scotsdale

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:22 am

Which reminds me, I better touch base with ol' hairy one.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:32 am

Send the ole Beard my best wishes Orwell.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:00 am

Question Eldo; am I the oldest member here? I think I joined the old forum before everyone else here (besides GB of course). I remember when Odo joined, and you, and Petty.
affraid I'M SO OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MILESTONES Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:07 am

I know you're old, but I would never call you an Old Bag, Your Majesty. Mr Tyrant does, of course, but only behind your back.

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 am

Technically I joined before you, Tin, but you were an active part of the community as soon as you joined, whereas I barely posted until four or five months after I registered (which I assume is what you remember). So effectively you're the oldest active member and the second-oldest to have made the jump to the new forum. Very Happy There were a few other early people aside from GB who kept posting intermittently on the old forum but I don't believe any of them ever migrated here.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:16 am

True! I find the idea of following the other Old members into the West quite depressing. I think I'll be like Galadriel and take the last ship out of here (besides, I can go to Valinor whenever I please!) queen

MILESTONES Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:10 am

I can't believe it's been (slightly more than) four years since Dark Planet Day Shocked  I signed up on the old forum in the summer of 2010, and even though I didn't start posting until fall (due to technical issues and absent technical maintenances Mad ), it's hard to believe I've been checking in and reading this forum daily for close to five years now. Here's to five more, and to all of you! pub

MILESTONES Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:06 am

cheers pub Sorry what are we celebrating, I just saw buckie. drunken

Oh five years since you joined us Ringdrotten? Well thats five years that the place has been a better one thanks to your presence then Nod pub

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:10 am

I was reflecting on this recently and I realized that if Adminships were like Presidencies, I'd have just completed my first term. Razz It's kinda nuts when I think about how much has changed in my life since I started posting on Tolkien forums.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:13 am

"Here's to five more years" certainly sounds almost like a political slogan. Razz

Here's to five more years, certainly.  pub

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:27 am

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:33 am

It's interesting looking back at the original post of this thread (which I made over three years ago): I still remember how excited I was that we were going to pass the old forum's total post count, since not only had we lost much of our history but the forum was so empty and had practically no archive for the first few months.  But of course, around the time this thread was made, our activity was really taking off and now I'm less than 40 posts from having made more posts on the new forum than were made on the entirety of the old forum (a milestone already achieved by two other people on here). Razz Of course, I'll have done that in a little over four years, whereas the old forum existed for only two years and a little over two months.  Which is also pretty weird to think about.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:31 am

Well, on this same day I went to a wedding, and they initiated the delightful new (what I hope will become a) custom of serving drinks to arriving guests. So that was 4:30 in the afternoon, earlier than my customary first drinks on days I drink. Then came a reception, then dinner, then after wedding drinks, at which point I had reached my own personal milestone of 8.5 alcoholic drinks in one day. (I ditched the one beer I had started when somebody bought an entire bottle of wine then walked off only having one drink off it. I stepped up.)

I'm not sure it's a milestone to celebrate, but I could only do it in a city like New York with 24/7 public transportation.

(this message took me 5 minutes to write what with all the corrections I had to do due to residual drunkeness. drunken )

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:53 am

Picture of Halfy from now on:

MILESTONES T0flF6X
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:09 am

He certainly has the hair for it. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:17 am

Oh, suddenly this fits here too. Very Happy

https://youtu.be/v5pRv2ajHkU?t=7m18s

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 am

'Ere ? am I having Dejavu ?
"I am not a number !! I am a man !!"

Actually it was funnier the other way round I had it.....

"I am not a man, ! I am a number !! "

MILESTONES Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

MILESTONES Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:10 am

Blue your knowledge of 60's and 70's UK comedy is both admirable as it is astonishing. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum