Israel/Palestine

4 posters

Go down

Israel/Palestine Empty Israel/Palestine

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:07 am

With the Palestinians pushing for UN membership and the US declaring they will veto it what's eveyones view on this.

My own view is that after the Palestinians fought for the Allies in WW2 they were betrayed and sold out by the Allies. The formation of Israel has largely been a complete disaster and modern day Palestine is a country sized prison. The Israeli settlements are illegal and are simple thuggery and theft and in my view most cerrtainly Palestine should be recognised as a sovereign nation with UN recognition and membership.
But what is Obama's game? He must know vetoing this in the face of large demonsrations for it, and at a time when Arab peoples all over the region are voicing their desire to determine their own futures, will not make the US any more popular in the area.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Israel/Palestine Empty Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:22 pm

I think it was a bad move creating the Modern Jewish State in the first place. Ostensibly, when that happened a new set of Crusaders took over - a large group of Europeans, in fact - a foreign invasion. The Palestinians are asking for what is rightfully theirs. Indeed, the Palestinians have actually lived there for the two thousand years Jewish folk have been living in far-flung countries. Only a Nazi would refuse a people their own right to Statehood.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:42 pm

I was beginning to think was too serious a topic even for here! (Or too boring)
I have always found the Jewish claim on the land dodgy- they took it by force, held it for only a few hundred years all in and even at the time of Christ the vast majority of Jews were living outside the HOly Land in Gentile cities.
And for me any claim which at the end of the day rests on the argment "God said it was ours." Is not going to cut much ice with me.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I was beginning to think was too serious a topic even for here! (Or too boring)
I have always found the Jewish claim on the land dodgy- they took it by force, held it for only a few hundred years all in and even at the time of Christ the vast majority of Jews were living outside the HOly Land in Gentile cities.
And for me any claim which at the end of the day rests on the argment "God said it was ours." Is not going to cut much ice with me.

Nor me neither. And seeing many Jews are not "practicing" Jews how does that claim mean anything to many Jews, anyway? Also, I doubt we have many "Ethnic" Jews left. We more seem to have a "Jewish Club" instead full of Western interacial ethnic types. Israel by my reckoning is merely "The Israel Club" - and a wealthy club, I'll give it that. I am not anti-Semitic by the way. Indeed, how many Modern Jews are "Semites", I wonder. But the West definitely created a monster when it created Israel in a short sighted effort to keep a beady eye on the Middle East (and a grubby finger in the pie to boot).

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:With the Palestinians pushing for UN membership and the US declaring they will veto it what's eveyones view on this.

This isn't an issue I've followed closely recently but I think Palestine should be allowed into the UN. Israel has proven time and again that they aren't interested in creating a country that is open and fair to Palestinians, so the Palestinian people should be allowed their own state. Even though it's already far smaller than the UN's original 1940s mandate and is continually encroached upon by Israel. Rolling Eyes

The Israeli settlements are illegal and are simple thuggery and theft and in my view most cerrtainly Palestine should be recognised as a sovereign nation with UN recognition and membership.

I entirely agree. Part of me suspects that Israeli opposition to letting Palestine join the UN is the fear that it will be harder for them to occupy Palestinian territory. Sadly I don't think UN membership would really change that, so long as Israel acts like they have a right to settle foreign territory and everyone else should be grateful when they offer to -- not actually give that territory back -- but just temporarily stop taking even more.

But what is Obama's game? He must know vetoing this in the face of large demonsrations for it, and at a time when Arab peoples all over the region are voicing their desire to determine their own futures, will not make the US any more popular in the area.

Israel is one of the "third rails" in US politics: touch it and you die. Wink Part of this is due to a powerful and effective pro-Israel lobby in Washington and part of it is because Israel is very popular in the US. I'm not entirely sure if the popularity is because apocalyptic Christians think the existence of Israel is a necessary prerequisite for the Second Coming (certainly a factor in some circles), residual Holocaust guilt, or something else. Probably a combination of factors.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Israel once again demonstrates its disregard for democracy, liberty, and human rights. I'm just going to stop now so I don't go off on a rant. Rolling Eyes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16526469

Israel's Supreme Court has upheld a law banning Palestinians who marry Israelis from gaining Israeli citizenship.

Civil rights groups had petitioned the court to overturn the law, saying it was unconstitutional.

"Human rights do not prescribe national suicide," Judge Asher Grunis wrote in the judgement.

The law was introduced in 2003, with its backers citing security concerns and the need to ensure Israel remains a Jewish-majority state.

Also:

The law is thought to have prevented thousands of Palestinians from living with their Israeli spouses
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Evil or Very Mad

And just remember if Romney ends up President Israel is your friend- no matter what they do.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am

Is Isreal responsible

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/01/201211162848691713.html

chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am

You wouldn't want to be an arab scientist woud you? Funny how the same scientist, born in the America, growing up to do exactly the same job would be a patriot and valued member of the American Nation. But thats ok becasue America can have nukes because its not a nutty rogue religous state who would actually use them.....oh wait.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:And just remember if Romney ends up President Israel is your friend- no matter what they do.

If only it was just Romney who is willing to give Israel a carte blanche. Unfortunately, that attitude is pretty widespread in American politics. Most of the Republican candidates have been trying to one-up each other seeing how much they can praise Israel and accuse Obama of not being supportive enough to Israel.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:43 pm

And what happens in the real world outside of the Greatest Nation on Earth when these same men get into office and find themselves having to organise incredibly delicate diplomatic meetings with the Palestinians?
No wonder the Palestinians are suspicous of US involvment with this sort of rhetoric being common place.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum