+2
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
6 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Rioting in the UK - Page 5 Empty Re: Rioting in the UK

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:24 am

True --- so long as we make it a Scottish Riot --- in Scotland.... {{{{May be a chance here yet Cool }}}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:29 am

No good- they always turn into parties.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:31 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:No good- they always turn into parties.

Even a better reason for having one -- and the Missus does love a party btw {{{{she is the Queen of Part Poopers after all Twisted Evil }}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:32 am

Ah well if she likes a party maybe I could make some room next to the refugees. You should have said.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:37 am

Oh good. She does have strong views on how to treat Refugees....

{{{{{I should probably be a bit more careful Laughing --- wouldn't want her to see this now... The wife I currently denigrate with such gusto inhabits the same universe as Elrond's recital, I hasten to mention, Petty --- but it's just such fun doin' it Laughing }}}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:42 am

{{{I would not respond in like fashion if I thought it otherwise Orwell rest assured}}}} She's in if she can play the ukulele, apprently the refugess are short a ukulele player.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:49 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{I would not respond in like fashion if I thought it otherwise Orwell rest assured}}}} She's in if she can play the ukulele, apprently the refugess are short a ukulele player.

I have been trying to get her to learn the mouth organ - to no avail as yet - but no, not the ukelele. She does play the piano, though. (I've got a uke btw and one day will put some time into learning. Love the instrument).

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:51 am

Its one of my favourite sounding instrunments....but I mean the name, ukelele- could say it all day..ukelele...ukelele...ukelele....alright maybe not all day.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:12 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Its one of my favourite sounding instrunments....but I mean the name, ukelele- could say it all day..ukelele...ukelele...ukelele....alright maybe not all day.

Would doing that end up with you yodelling? - ukelele ukelele ukelele --- the vocal equivalent of the bagpipes in artistic terms? Laughing

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:14 am

Very Happy I would give it a try but communial as my neighbours are yodelling ukele at 3am may not endear me too them for much longer- especially if it sounds anything at all like the bagpipes.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:23 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote: Very Happy I would give it a try but communial as my neighbours are yodelling ukele at 3am may not endear me too them for much longer- especially if it sounds anything at all like the bagpipes.

Are you off nightshift but not nightshift mode, pray tell?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:53 am

Sorry fell asleep! Um yes is the answer to that, more or less- state of confusion more accuretly describes it, which is what happens when your shifts swing about between night and day!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:59 am

In a vain attempt to make amends for derailing my own thread back to the riots. The MET have released CCTV footage of the attempted murder of two police officers, mow down at high speed by a car. Hope they get him, and I hope they get five minutes alone in the cells with him too.

http://content.met.police.uk/Appeal/Attempted-murder-of-officers-CCTV/1260269469245/1257246745782

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 am

Are you up still, or have you just got up? Laughing

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 am

Still up- was just about to go to bed and made the terrible mistake of popping by to see if there were any new posts- I really, really should be going Sleep - just got to decide, TH, LotR, Sil, or UT to read in bed. Decisions, decisions.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:47 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Still up- was just about to go to bed and made the terrible mistake of popping by to see if there were any new posts- I really, really should be going Sleep - just got to decide, TH, LotR, Sil, or UT to read in bed. Decisions, decisions.

Lady Chatterleys Lover? {Sleep tight, my little poppet!)(platonic)

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 pm

I went with LotR's but the appendices. Reread the Ceorl and Eorl stuff and the first coming of the Rohirrim into the south. UM Orwell, you do realize you left that message only half encrypted, you forgot to cap it, the words will be leaking out for all to see! Embarassed

Oddities abound with the latest riot related developments. The government have been talking tough on curfews- but apprently there is a bit of a legal problem- they don't exist in Common Law- which effectively means the people have the right to refuse to have the law enforced upon them! People Power! Not sure how it works in paractice.

Policeman: Oi its after curfew. You are breaking the law.

Citizen: Ah but your law has no precedent in common law and I refuse to accept its enforcement uopon me.

Policeman: Right then, you're nicked for Breach of the Peace*. In the van sonny.

Citizen: Bugger.

*Breach of the Peace- not sure if they have this in England or not but in Scotland this is the basic unit of arrest. Its a catch all, it can be used to cover almost anything as its rare anyone is charged under it (if you do something serious enough you get charged with a proper offence- like assualt, or vandalism), usually it means being questioned and a night in the cells. It was largely created with buckie in mind I suspect. But is often used by Police when they know you've done something but they can't prove it, but this way your still going to the cells.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I went with LotR's but the appendices. Reread the Ceorl and Eorl stuff and the first coming of the Rohirrim into the south. UM Orwell, you do realize you left that message only half encrypted, you forgot to cap it, the words will be leaking out for all to see! Embarassed

Did you miss "(platonic)" then {{{{my liddle sweetums}}}}}}

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

Policeman: Oi its after curfew. You are breaking the law.

Citizen: Ah but your law has no precedent in common law and I refuse to accept its enforcement uopon me.

Policeman: Right then, you're nicked for Breach of the Peace*. In the van sonny.

Citizen: Bugger.

*Breach of the Peace- not sure if they have this in England or not but in Scotland this is the basic unit of arrest. Its a catch all, it can be used to cover almost anything as its rare anyone is charged under it (if you do something serious enough you get charged with a proper offence- like assualt, or vandalism), usually it means being questioned and a night in the cells. It was largely created with buckie in mind I suspect. But is often used by Police when they know you've done something but they can't prove it, but this way your still going to the cells.

We have a similar (or same) thing here. It does have it's uses for dealing with "trouble" and "arseholes" that at the time are not helping a situation, in fact, inciting trouble (the kind of trouble - riots for instance - Authorities are trying to defuse or prevent) but where no actual "crime" has been committed. It can easily be abused by police, but most often, folk seeing what's happening at the time, see it as only being a "wise" move by the police. When things calm down, the "arrested" bod gets released without charge. *This is largely how it works here, though it's use has definitely gone out of fashion. Many people want violence or property damage to actually occur before they demand police do something, and then usually ask why the police didn't act sooner. Catch 22 in a way.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:24 am

So much for a quiet night at work!!- but had to pop on to report this worrying bt of news.

"two young men from the outskirts of Manchester were each given four years in prison for inciting others to riot via Facebook postings. The Guardian newspaper reported that the postings by the defendants, Jordan Blackshaw, 20, and Perry Sutcliffe, 22, did not in fact lead to any violence."

Shocked You've got to be kidding. There's hardened criminlas with a list of violent offences as long as your arm don't get four years. What have I been saying about this government and its desire to control the internet?
So if I post on a thread here that I dont believe peaceful protest is an efective means of changing a governments mind and that only direct action gets results (seems to work in France!) I risk facing 4 years in prison for incitement to riot?
See England this is what happens when you vote the bloody Tories back into power!!! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:37 pm

I am getting a bit concerend by these sentences and the hysterical calls for tougher measures; removal of benefits and social housing, curfews.
Oddly when 3/4 of our politiicians were caught stealing thousands and thousands of pounds from the tax payer in the expenses scandal I dont seem to remember them calling for all theses things then- one rule for the rich another for the poor?

Almost a Scottish riot!- well sort of- the BradPitt Angelina circus rolled into Glasgow/Philadelphia- the magic of cinema and all that? See not a UK problem Cameron- we got a majr film in the heart of our biggest city and our capital is in the middle of a huge Festival and is full of tourists.. So leave us out of your knee jerk draconian response designed to placate the right winged leanings of the southern English!! Evil or Very Mad

Glasgow pretending to be Philadelphia (its also doubling for Gotham later in the year fr the new Batman film). Never been to Philadelphia so no idea how close it looks in comparison. Any Philly people on here? (And if so why not shoot it there? Why come half way round the world?- not that we mind, their very welcome with their large sums of money, but seems odd)

[img]Rioting in the UK - Page 5 Glas1[/img]

[img]Rioting in the UK - Page 5 Glas2[/img]

Edinburgh and it wonderfully wacky Fringe Festival.

[img]Rioting in the UK - Page 5 Fish-head_1964717b[/img]

[img]Rioting in the UK - Page 5 Edinburgh-festival-image-1-43876239[/img]

And see no rioters! No trouble! No national shame here Mr Cameron so knock it off saying there is!!

Now which hotel is Angelina staying in? I've got everything I need to seduce her- kilt-check- buckie- check- rescued half starved child-check- vial of blood- check- partner who will be distraught at the betrayal- damn need to hire someone for that on the way there.....right lets go get some jollies from Jolie!! See you in the national press. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Not from Philly but I've been there a fair number of times and I think Glasgow could pass for it reasonably well based on the pictures you posted. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

More controversal sentences handed out in the wake of the rioting including: A 22 year old Manchester Man facing jail for stealing two scoops of ice cream. A 23 year old Londoner getting 6 months for stealing a £3.50 case of water. A mum of two sentenced to 5 months for being in receipt of a stolen pair of shorts. And a teenager getting 16 weeks for being abusive.
I hear next they are going to ship them to Australia for stealing an apple. Oh how the rich and wealthly must be loving this- its like the good old days again.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:44 am

It is ludicrous the way they are going on! I could forgive the initial over the top reactions, because thats what they were - reactionary!
Our court system is supposed to be set up to be free of political influence and also try and remove emotive responses (one of the reasons here that the victims don't get to address the court in the same way I believe they do in the states!). i am more disturbed by the sentencing than anything. The rhetoric and posturing by politicians, while not right I could live with, but the fact that our justice system seems to be following along sheep like is terrible.

In the longer term it is just going to increase the communication gap and anger at what is happening, making problems worse. not better!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 am

I agree completely Kafria- particularly about the courts- I think however I have an explanation fo this but it just makes it all the more worrying- according to Newsnight one of the first things this coalition govt did, and unde the radar, was produce guidlines for the courts which included a bit about 'reflecting the public mood'. The dangers in this are obvious. Thank goodness the Scottish legal system is seperate.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:More controversal sentences handed out in the wake of the rioting including: A 22 year old Manchester Man facing jail for stealing two scoops of ice cream. A 23 year old Londoner getting 6 months for stealing a £3.50 case of water. A mum of two sentenced to 5 months for being in receipt of a stolen pair of shorts. And a teenager getting 16 weeks for being abusive.
I hear next they are going to ship them to Australia for stealing an apple. Oh how the rich and wealthly must be loving this- its like the good old days again.

I need to hear the full tale. What were the full circumstances? I need to now more about these "innocents", what they actually did and what their History (criminally speaking) is.

(Petty, getting sent to Australia for stealing an apple would be a Reward, not a Punishment! In fact, when they got here, they could eat as many healthy juicy tasty apples as they like, none of your polluted UK rubbish. Very Happy )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum